View Poll Results: What APPROACH would you prefer for getting mail on your Treo?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Webmail (go to the individual sites of my email hosts)

2 5.26%
  • Email Client (VM, Chatter, Snapper) for all your mail (assume it can be smart about them all)

30 78.95%
  • Aggregator (a service that gets your various mail and integrates it, giving you one "super account")

1 2.63%
  • Combination of approaches

4 10.53%
  • Other (feel free to write about it)

1 2.63%
  1.    #1  
    So here's another one for you. Among these options, which describes the KIND of interaction you'd prefer to have from a Treo to your various email accounts...

NO, I'm not hinting at anything or suggesting anything, I'm really just curious about how people WISH their email experience would be. So assume the choices are APPROACHES, not specific solutions (real or imagined). Are any of these good (they came off the top of my head)? All of them?

Feel free to discuss among yourselves if it seems interesting.

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 04/15/2007 at 05:45 PM.
    I'm really happy at the moment using Chatter(IMAP), I wouldn't change a thing.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Chatter works excellent for me.

IF however, chatter can implement Calender/Task/Memo sync it will be the BEST
    I prefer the Chatter approach. The ability to use one client to access various accounts along with sending mail from that client so it appears to come from a specific mail account is very useful. Support of both IMAP and POP (yuck) is a must. Really, the existing Chatter client is extremely functional. However, I am not a novice user. I think whatever approach should provide both a novice setup and advanced options for those wanting additional functionality/configuration.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Personally, I like using a Palm OS native client, like VersaMail/SnapperMail/ChatterMail. I can see the benefits of having the ability to use web mail though. I'm less keen on an aggregator, however, I can see people who manage several mail accounts for different job responsibilities might want something like that also.

If I had to rank the options by priority, they would be:

1. Palm OS native email client
    2. Web mail support
    3. Aggregator
    4. Everything else

Alan G
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    I'm less keen on an aggregator, however, I can see people who manage several mail accounts for different job responsibilities might want something like that also.

If I had to rank the options by priority, they would be:

1. Palm OS native email client
    2. Web mail support
    3. Aggregator
    4. Everything else

Alan G
    I agree on your point about an aggregator. The thing I like about Chatter is the Summary view where you can create your own aggregator-like setting. In a way Chatter combines a POS client with aggregator features, as far as I understand how an aggregator works.
    I prefer an email client. I have used VM, Chatter, and now Pocket Outlook.

Use a tool designed for the job....

For me personally, OTA sync to Exchange Server is essential. Not there, don't buy.
    I am posting here despite the 700wx in my hand because I'd very much like to return to PalmOS.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Snapper with IMAP is the way I do it.
    I'm surprised there is so few votes for Aggregator. Am I the only one with 4 different active e-mail addresses?

Surur
    I have 3 active email addresses (corporate, Yahoo, Gmail) and I use Y and G less and less. So I just go on the web, clear 'em out, migrate stuff to the corporate account, and move on.
    In all my years of being on the internet, I found webmail to be the greatest constant in my life. Corporate mail and ISP mail comes and goes, but hotmail is forever.

Surur
    I have gmail, mindspring, and work (IMAP) emails accounts all displayed in Chatter. I prefer for them NOT to be aggregated as they perform different functions. (represent different aspects).
    I dropped hotmail because I would create an account there and have spam before telling anyone about the new account. :-)
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I use Chatter and I like the approach. I want a native client that mirrors the functionality of my desktop client and webmail client. It should work in the background and never need network connectivity when I'm reading or composing mail.

Instead of looking for a new "approach", I'd like new functionality. Everyone has spoken about wanting integrated OTA PIM sync (and, of course, I'd like that too). I'd also like tags and complex searching capability. I'd like to be able to search and display messages in folders that are not being sync-ed. In fact I'd like to search in ANY folder in my account without having to configure that folder (just like I can move a message to any folder). Once you have searched and displayed a message you should be able to move/delete/reply to it just like any other message.

That's my wish list...

Dave
    Gmail + Blackberry.

Takes 30 seconds to set up and is rock-solid reliable.

I'm a believer.