1.    #1  
    Two weeks ago, my second 680 (replaced one that lost sound due to the old jack problem) lost its sound (due to the old jack problem). I called Palm and had to argue with them about a replacement (they said they didn't do replacements, only repairs, until I told them I was holding one that had been replaced wereupon they gave me a supervisor who acted just about as stupidly but agreed to send me a replacement). About three days into this (the five day replacement turned into an eleven day replacement), the broken one suddenly regained its sound, and has been working for the past week perfectly. Today the replacement arrived.

Should I gamble the that this new (refurbished one) at least hasn't lost its sound yet and that since the old one has lost its sound once it probably will again, and I'm better of sending it back and taking this replacement--or should I gamble that it seems better and that everything else definitely does work perfectly, so why gamble on the new (refurbished) one not developing any new maladies.

This is a real conundrum. Making things worse I am going to have to call TomTom (they don't do it over the web) to give me still a third code because it is keyed to the phone. They didn't like giving me the last one, even though I said it replaced the original, and now I'm going to have to argue with them about giving me this and explaining to them patiently why I, since I paid for a working TomTom to go with a working Palm, I can't be blamed or penalized--certainly not losing my several hundred dollar investment in TomTom, simply because Palm's product sucks big time, as we all know.

So. What's the verdict? What would you do? Any with experience about the likelihood about the sound/jack problem recurring? My uninformed experience is that it is more likely once it happened than a new (refurbished) where it hasn't....but I could be convinced otherwise.
    Bloody primates.
    I havent had the jack problem, but in my more general experience, intermittent faults rarely, if ever, fix themselves. Are you supposed to return the old one as soon as the new one arrives? Given that they were not very helpful, why dont you delay the return, give the old one another couple of weeks, giving that jack a good workout too, and then decide. You could tell Palm that your refurbished one had a battery life problem, so you are trying to see if that improves with use before giving up your old one.
    Do whatever makes you happy...

At least 80% of the time anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Do whatever makes you happy...

At least 80% of the time anyway.
    Don't get him started...

I would keep the refurb for awhile, but like DIG said...the problem will probably resurface
    80% of the time, it happens all the time....

I would try again, but thats just me.

...what happened to angel eyes...?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    80% of the time, it happens all the time....

I would try again, but thats just me.

...what happened to angel eyes...?
    I was getting requests for something a little more...me. Are you saying I don't still have angel eyes?
    Nope, you don't. There isn't any pink in that avatar and I'm now upset. Pfft! Bring back the pink! We need pink! Don't deprive us of the pink! Now that I've gotten that out, I feel somewhat better.
    Last edited by jessi_9783; 04/16/2007 at 09:41 AM.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I was getting requests for something a little more...me. Are you saying I don't still have angel eyes?
    um well ya I don't really know you so I can't say much but I liked the other "eyes" better
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by jessi_9783 View Post
    Nope, you don't. There isn't any pink in that avatar and I'm now upset. Pfft! Bring back the pink! We need pink! Don't deprive us of the pink! Now that I've gotten that out, I feel somewhat better.
    I know...I miss the pink too. But I'm glad to be rid of the "pink eye", it was getting crazy itchy

Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    um well ya I don't really know you so I can't say much but I liked the other "eyes" better
    Actually, it was only one eye and this avatar's eyes are almost exactly like mine, large and Asian (but mine aren't blue). So I guess you wouldn't have had any interest in my real eyes anyway...
    Always taunting
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Always taunting
    Me? Never! I'm an Angel, remember?
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Me? Never! I'm an Angel, remember?
    You're not the Devil in Disquise? (with apologies to Elvis).

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    You're not the Devil in Disquise? (with apologies to Elvis).

I wouldn't rule it out...
    Broken electronics don't heal themselves, they only pretend and then go totally belly-up on you when it hurts the most.

If the hardware was broke--it still is. If phone#3 goes mute, maybe there's a software problem causing it. Try not to load everything up on it right away, give each new app a few days to see if adding one in particular breaks things.
  15.    #15  
    No, it's not software. It's a well-known hardware design failure. They use an incredibly cheap audio jack, and when it gets out of shape, the microphone and speaker go out.
    Didn't think it could be software--but with computers, I've learned never to rule that out. And when all is said and done, these are "just" computers. Not as well behaved as their older dark gray grandfathers, either!<VBG>