1.    #1  
    I was able to trade phones tonight with one of my buddies who has a treo 650, we both have the same carrier sprint. WOW 650 was just quick swapping between apps even versa mail and phone app was literally twice as fast as my 700p. I didnt get 1 text freeze and set quite a few picture mails to each other, played a few games without a hitch. I would of traded him in an instant if the 650 had EVDO, it was just sad and pathetic to see my newer more "advanced" 700p get walked on by an old 650..
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Were your phones identical?
    A 650 with no applications and few saved text messages can't be used for comparison with a 700 with fifteen applications and 100 saved text messages, etc.
    I'm sure there are a lot of other factors that effect performance, but my 700 (with three or four applications, no texts messages saved and no browser cache) is lightning fast switching and I don't get lags (except if the phone is searching for a network)
    Was it a fair comparison?
    If the 700p really has the lag that everyone keeps complaining about, the 650 would seem much faster. I've been reading all the comments about the 700's lag and the 680 has a few slight ones in some apps. But the 650 was always instantaneous. I've never had a single lag on mine...and that's with 64 apps running in ROM and RAM. No slowness pulling music or movies off the card either...
    "The 700P" does not have that lag that "everyone" talks about. Mine has no lag. It's interesting that people assume that because a relatively small percentage of people have significant lags, all 700P's have a lag. Mine has none. Maybe variations in hardware, maybe third party apps, but mine has never had any lag at all. And that appears to be true of most owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    "The 700P" does not have that lag that "everyone" talks about. Mine has no lag. It's interesting that people assume that because a relatively small percentage of people have significant lags, all 700P's have a lag. Mine has none. Maybe variations in hardware, maybe third party apps, but mine has never had any lag at all. And that appears to be true of most owners.
    Ummmm...okay. I wasn't assuming that all 700p devices have a significant lag. But, from the number of threads complaining about it...I do think there's definitely a problem for a lot of users. Maybe the complainers are more vocal, but it wasn't a personal attack on the device itself, which is how it seems you're taking it.
    Yes, I would say the complainers are more vocal. You've been on here enough to note the "satisfaction" poll, the call for a separate forum for people to complain, etc. As someone noted, it gets tiresome hearing complaints that most of us don't have.
    As someone noted, it gets tiresome hearing complaints that most of us don't have.
    ?? What forums are you reading?? Most users do have problems with their 700p, and a handful don't. and not even just here, but look other places as well--heck, besides myself I know of five people who have or had a treo 700p, 3 of which had to have replacments or just got a different phone altogether. I admit that it doesn't do any good to "beat a dead horse" with all the complaints, but what you must understand is that most of that is done out of frustration especially with an update that wont be out until the treo 990 comes out--those people like us have a right to be a little upset and just because you don't have those problems doesn't change anything. If a thread is bashing the treo, then guess what--DON'T READ IT!!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Actually the 600 has even less lag. But a crash will lose all your data.

Now you know why we ex-650 users are whining.
  9.    #9  
    You know my first treo 700p had almost no lag.. I am thinking its a hardware issue and quality of treos produced.

As for comparing them my 700p has more applications than his 650 but right out of the box I left my treo stock for a week just putting contacts on and it still was slow and lagging.
    For those of you doubters of the lag issue. This is a direct quote from Jeffgibson back in October:

There is a nasty bug in the Palm operating system that is causing this slowness during profile changes. In fact you see this same slowness in many other applications too on the Treo 700p. There are several threads talking about this very subject.

The bug kicks in when applications request information that is stored in files on the Treo 700p. In ProfileCare's case, the profile information is stored in a file. The programming calls used to access this information are orders of magnatude slower on the Treo 700p as compared to the Treo 650. To fix this problem I would have to rewrite the entire database application programming interface on the Treo 700p and that would be a significant undertaking!

I just hope we get an updated ROM for the Treo 700p that fixes this particular issue.

Jeff, but the way is the developer of Profile Care, Volume Care, CradleCare, BTmute, Schedule Care, and a host of other brilliant pieces of software. To say he would know what he is talking about would be an understatement.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    As most of you (if not all) may be aware, 680 users are also reporting lag issues. I've had a 680 for 4 months and, fortunately, I kept my old trusty 650. Given the lag issue, changes in Favorites, excessive battery drain (even AFTER installing the Camera patch, my 680 drains just sitting there, no phone radio on, no apps running in the background), and a strange quirk with call waiting (if I'm on a call and a 2nd call comes in, and if I let the 2nd call go to voicemail, my 1st call gets disconnected ), I'm throwing in the towel and am now using my 650 again.

I MISSED MY 650! NO lags... Favorites (with the dual columns) are back... not dropping calls after ignoring a 2nd call... I'm selling my 680 and will patiently wait for a Linux-based Treo or might even dabble with an iPhone at some point. I'm truly disappointed by the 680. It's unfortunate that the "upgrade" is inferior to a phone that's 3 years old!
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    As most of you (if not all) may be aware, 680 users are also reporting lag issues. I've had a 680 for 4 months and, fortunately, I kept my old trusty 650. Given the lag issue, changes in Favorites, excessive battery drain (even AFTER installing the Camera patch, my 680 drains just sitting there, no phone radio on, no apps running in the background), and a strange quirk with call waiting (if I'm on a call and a 2nd call comes in, and if I let the 2nd call go to voicemail, my 1st call gets disconnected ), I'm throwing in the towel and am now using my 650 again.

I MISSED MY 650! NO lags... Favorites (with the dual columns) are back... not dropping calls after ignoring a 2nd call... I'm selling my 680 and will patiently wait for a Linux-based Treo or might even dabble with an iPhone at some point. I'm truly disappointed by the 680. It's unfortunate that the "upgrade" is inferior to a phone that's 3 years old!
    Just image if somebody figure out how to add more physical memory in it. Given the custom firmware, added SDHC driver, aftermarket shortened antenna, and the proper position of the menu key, you can make the 650 the best version of Treo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    For those of you doubters of the lag issue. This is a direct quote from Jeffgibson back in October:

There is a nasty bug in the Palm operating system that is causing this slowness during profile changes. In fact you see this same slowness in many other applications too on the Treo 700p. There are several threads talking about this very subject.

The bug kicks in when applications request information that is stored in files on the Treo 700p. In ProfileCare's case, the profile information is stored in a file. The programming calls used to access this information are orders of magnatude slower on the Treo 700p as compared to the Treo 650. To fix this problem I would have to rewrite the entire database application programming interface on the Treo 700p and that would be a significant undertaking!

I just hope we get an updated ROM for the Treo 700p that fixes this particular issue.

Jeff, but the way is the developer of Profile Care, Volume Care, CradleCare, BTmute, Schedule Care, and a host of other brilliant pieces of software. To say he would know what he is talking about would be an understatement.
    Far be it from me to question anyone who develops software for these devices, but if this is the case for ALL apps, then why don't all of us have lags? I have VC, but none of the other apps you mention. But I do use Handbase, and 30 or so additional apps....and I don't have a lag. At all. None. Is it just app selection, or is my hardware different from yours? I realize it's Palm's responsibility to answer why the inconsistencies, but given all the complaints and all the smart people having them, I have not seen one carefully crafted thread that logically tried to identify difference between devices that worked well and those with significant lag. There is a reason, right?
  14.    #14  
    Far be it from me to question anyone who develops software for these devices, but if this is the case for ALL apps, then why don't all of us have lags? I have VC, but none of the other apps you mention. But I do use Handbase, and 30 or so additional apps....and I don't have a lag. At all. None. Is it just app selection, or is my hardware different from yours? I realize it's Palm's responsibility to answer why the inconsistencies, but given all the complaints and all the smart people having them, I have not seen one carefully crafted thread that logically tried to identify difference between devices that worked well and those with significant lag. There is a reason, right?
    Like I have said before it has to be a quality issue.

My first treo 700p--- Would only lag at max 5 seconds when opening versa mail and everything else was fine
    Second treo- new out of the box first day the radio worked then the next day the radio died and I could not get any calls or texts.
    third treo- very laggy and seems to freeze a lot more than the first one.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    my 650 can lag in switching applications. It's especially noticeable when switching out of chatter, I've had it take minutes to return to the launcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Like I have said before it has to be a quality issue.

My first treo 700p--- Would only lag at max 5 seconds when opening versa mail and everything else was fine
    Second treo- new out of the box first day the radio worked then the next day the radio died and I could not get any calls or texts.
    third treo- very laggy and seems to freeze a lot more than the first one.
    Well, clearly there's something wrong somewhere, either apps or hardware. I haven't had a five second lag with any app in 10 months.....and I use Versamail for two accounts, one Exchange and a Gmail account. Only lag I ever have is clearing the cache after exiting Blazer, and that's by choice. One would think that there are some differences in where the processors were made, when the device was made, or put together, or something....while it could be random, I would doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Just image if somebody figure out how to add more physical memory in it. Given the custom firmware, added SDHC driver, aftermarket shortened antenna, and the proper position of the menu key, you can make the 650 the best version of Treo!
    I love my 650, but this is the funniest statement. When the 650 was first released, TC was inundated with complaints and horror stories about how bad a device it was. Now, a lot of people that have upgraded regret it and tout the wonders of the 650...

I've personally had no problems with my 650 and my 680, but it took three 650s until I got a good one and my 680 was great from the start...
    For me, EVDO was the make it or break it factor.

now, calls would not go straight to Vmail