Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've browsed and searched the forums, but could not find very direct opinions about this. Maybe I wasnt searching good enough. Well...
    On my Treo680 I've been using Versamail, which isn't bad, it's just sort of... Blah! It doesnt do quite what I want.

Question: what is the best 3rd party email app to get for Palm OS5?

(I've tried the demo for SnapperMail... its pretty good, but very pricey for the standard version).
    I'd like an email app that will do about what Snapper does, but I don't want to pay $40 or $50 for it. Preferably a mail app that can be set to check for mail every hour or so (but no "push" email needed).
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    I've browsed and searched the forums, but could not find very direct opinions about this. Maybe I wasnt searching good enough. Well...
    On my Treo680 I've been using Versamail, which isn't bad, it's just sort of... Blah! It doesnt do quite what I want.

Question: what is the best 3rd party email app to get for Palm OS5?

(I've tried the demo for SnapperMail... its pretty good, but very pricey for the standard version).
    I'd like an email app that will do about what Snapper does, but I don't want to pay $40 or $50 for it. Preferably a mail app that can be set to check for mail every hour or so (but no "push" email needed).
    Still Chatteremail is great, the developer now works for palm, but the program is still available. My wife has it for Gmail and loves it. She sets it to sync ever 3 or 4 hours and then manually syncs it when she wants. I use it with my company exchange for push and for my personal email (which syncs every 30 minutes via POP3). It is great! Do some searches about Chatter vs. Snapper. Also Versamail really isn't that bad if you just want the basics. I use it for Push Calendar and Contacts.
    ?

Chatteremail.

www.chatteremail.com. Still available. Has been acquired by Palm and the developer has been hired by Palm. (Marc = username Chatter here on Treocentral).

As it stands it is a nice, nice program. The fact that Palm acquired it means that it is The Wave of the (PalmOS) Future.

You can't go wrong.

I used it for a long while until I switched to Versamail 3.5 for more Exchange sync capabilities. Then I went Windows . . . . .
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Why no one vote for SnapperMail?

I'm running SnapperMail Enterprise version on 3 of my Palm OS devices, it is great so far. Now, I'm still looking for an equivalent for WM5/6 devices; however, SnapperMail still smokes all of them.
    Treo Maniac?
    Hello everyone!

I've recently decided that I need to upgrade to a quality IMAP email solution because of the following requirements:

1. Need an app that will check my email account, freeing me from having to constantly look at my phone
    2. Need an app that can sync my phone emails so I don't have them spread accross my Palm 650 and my server's email boxes
    3. Convenient and easy to use
    4. Storage

I've come across some pros and cons and would like to know how people addressed these issues in their day-to-day use of the software. Particularly in how they use Chatter and Snapper (are what I consider cons really going to effect me in the long run - did they effect you? - is there a configuration option that I've missed?)

I've been testing Versa vs Chatter vs Snapper:

Requirement 1:
    Versa - Not so nice. The product has a Get/Receive and Sync. These can be automated but is quite clumsy. Saving emails to the outbox for background sends is nice.
    Snapper - nearly there. A single sync option to get and receive everything. I haven't test much with IMAP but with POP this sucker drained my batteries with all the manual checks I was making.
    Chatter - yippee! Background syncs, push email and minimal battery requirements. The clear winner

Requirement 2:
    All apps sync IMAP so I'll just mention a couple of quirks...
    Versa - It seemed to be able to move mail from internal folders to server folders but on the next sync operation, the emails I moved just vanished. Also, sent email are sync'ed but their attachments are not.
    Snapper - Sent email are sync'ed with their attachments but sub folders of the server's INBOX don't seem to reliably sync in the demo... The software came with a SUBFOLDER example that had an email in it. I married that up to a server folder but the example email didn't migrate up and a server email didn't migrate down.
    Chatter - In the demo, everything syncronised perfectly BUT the sent item didn't sync the attachments. The attachments aren't lost because they are stored in a folder called TreoSent. Also, items from the internal folder can't be moved to the server folders... Which sucks because I sent emails before reading the doco and matching up the server Sent items folder. Also, I would like to be able to sync the Drafts folder also. A question asked to Marc in 2006 about sync'ing sent attachments was answered with "not on the development list." I've asked Marc is this is still the case...

No clear winner in my mind hear but I'm leaning towards Snapper

Requirement 3:
    No reason for a comparison and discussion. For ease of use, layout and notification options, Chatter is the clear winner!

Requirement 4:
    Versa - doesn't seem to have an option for storing emails on the SD chip this is poo
    Snapper - saves emails to SD and has a backup/restore (not sure that Snapper needs it because it perfectly syncs Drafts and Sent items to server)
    Chatter - saves emails to the SD, saves internal memory and gives an option for migrating historical emails to the SD card.

Snapper does the job, Chatter does it better

So, it comes down to Snapper vs Chatter in reality. What do people think about the two - after regularly using you chosen product for a while, are there additional concerns? Did the drawbacks of any other pieces of software matter to you?

Thanks for reading

-Ben
    Last edited by Swingstylez; 04/22/2007 at 09:55 AM.
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    I installed the trial version of Chatter yesterday and now when I'm on a call and the screen turns off, the conversation is also cut off until I press a button to turn the screen back on. The call doesn't disconnect, but we can't hear each other until I turn the screen back on. Anyone else have this problem on their 680?

stfunny
    STFunny, your problem is not related to ChatterEmail.

As for Snappermail and ChatterEmail, I have licenses for both of these applications and use ChatterEmail exclusively and have done so since the release of Snappermail 2x. Stability, archiving, background issues, and other issues have plagued Snappermail and have not been resolved. ChatterEmail for me is stable, archives to the card flawlessly, works in the background without me having to do anything, et cetera.

Ben
    I've used Snapper 2.3.7 (which is not the most current ) for almost a year now and am sorry I didn't try it sooner. No issues.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i've used snappermail for years and i find it to be rock solid.
    morris stalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    I've used Snapper 2.3.7 (which is not the most current ) for almost a year now and am sorry I didn't try it sooner. No issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrie
    i've used snappermail for years and i find it to be rock solid.
    Hi Guys,

Can you be more specific about how the software has met your needs - specifically in relation to topics I raised - you might as well said you've used envelopes and stamps and have found that system solid and flawless !!

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    As for Snappermail and ChatterEmail, I have licenses for both of these applications and use ChatterEmail exclusively and have done so since the release of Snappermail 2x. Stability, archiving, background issues, and other issues have plagued Snappermail and have not been resolved. ChatterEmail for me is stable, archives to the card flawlessly, works in the background without me having to do anything, et cetera.
    That's good to know, I've seen similar but how about the failure (working as designed) sync'ing of sent item attachments? Has that not been a problem?

For everyone:
    Do you try to work from your mailbox (Treo or otherwise) nearly exclusively? If a customer or business partner requires a document you have and you send it from your Treo, don not having that record in your sent items matter? The sync'ed sent itme (from Chatter) won't even say that there _was_ an attachment. Not so nice for record keeping ;-). I'd like to go with Chatter but I'm starting to lean towards Snapper at this point...

-Ben
    Last edited by Swingstylez; 04/22/2007 at 03:08 PM.
    It is there, just stored in a different folder on the Treo; you also have the option of sending it to yourself. I work with email throughout the day and have had no problems. If I just have to have a copy of the attachment itself, then I send myself a copy.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    It is there, just stored in a different folder on the Treo; you also have the option of sending it to yourself. I work with email throughout the day and have had no problems. If I just have to have a copy of the attachment itself, then I send myself a copy.

Ben
    Hello - yep, I've found the sent mail plus attachment in TreoSent but that doesn't sync to the server's SENT items. Also, I havent found a way to move the emails from that folder (apart from by sending the emails to myself)

Also, I've considered bcc:ing everything to myself to get the attachments but then I loose the ability to see where the emails really came from.

I email Josh from Chatter and he explained that the decision was intentional to reduce network traffic. I must say, Snapper is s-l-o-w when synchronising!

Do Snapper people use the "copy email to contacts" and sorting by colums features?

-Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez View Post
    Hello everyone!

I've recently decided that I need to upgrade to a quality IMAP email solution because of the following requirements:

2. Need an app that can sync my phone emails so I don't have them spread accross my Palm 650 and my server's email boxes
    Um, the Imap server itself does this... All of my email addresses come to the same imap server, and after a great deal of server-side filtering, relevant stuff winds up in my Inbox and shows up on my Treo. I can read the other stuff (system/monitor logging, mailing lists, caught spam, etc..) on my webmail or GUI mail client.
    Hello - yep, I've found the sent mail plus attachment in TreoSent but that doesn't sync to the server's SENT items. Also, I havent found a way to move the emails from that folder (apart from by sending the emails to myself)

Also, I've considered bcc:ing everything to myself to get the attachments but then I loose the ability to see where the emails really came from.

I email Josh from Chatter and he explained that the decision was intentional to reduce network traffic. I must say, Snapper is s-l-o-w when synchronising!

Do Snapper people use the "copy email to contacts" and sorting by colums features?

-Ben
    You saying that when you set it up to copy sent email to the IMAP folder on the server, it doesn't copy the attachments too? I'll have to check this, but I don't think that's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    You saying that when you set it up to copy sent email to the IMAP folder on the server, it doesn't copy the attachments too? I'll have to check this, but I don't think that's true.
    I haven't found a way to copy items from TreoSent to my IMAP folders, except by posting the emails to myself.

-Ben
    I haven't found a way to copy items from TreoSent to my IMAP folders, except by posting the emails to myself.

-Ben
    Edit Mailbox
    Other
    Upload sent items to..
    (Folder name)

Of course, you have to have loaded your folders ahead of time, etc... If you have trouble with this, then you might need to tinker with the Define tab, Root, etc.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    doesnt it really depend on what email you want to use?
    nothing works well with cox.net mail
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    doesnt it really depend on what email you want to use?
    nothing works well with cox.net mail
    pump142,
    I have cox.net and use Snapper. I have no issues what so ever and have used it since June 06.

Give it a go.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    you can send out thru the cox.net server? I was told by cox that they do not allow any remote server access
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Edit Mailbox
    Other
    Upload sent items to..
    (Folder name)

Of course, you have to have loaded your folders ahead of time, etc... If you have trouble with this, then you might need to tinker with the Define tab, Root, etc.
    The option "Edit Mailbox" doesn't exist for the inbuilt "TreoSent" mailbox.

The "move selected" option gives the message "Messages can't be moved from the Mailbox." It's not a bug, it's functioning as designed.

-Ben
    Last edited by Swingstylez; 04/24/2007 at 01:19 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast