Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    pump142,
    I have cox.net and use Snapper. I have no issues what so ever and have used it since June 06.

Give it a go.
    Yes I have been giving it a go - see my earlier posts... and this one!

You keep saying that. It's a pointless statement without having an idea about how you use Snapper. Well, I've used Snapper for only a week and have several of issues: For example one big, f**k-off issue is that my phone is on and in use most of the day, so Snapper's scheduled Sync doesn't kick in often enough (your treo has to be off for at least 5 minutes before the sync will kick in).

Also, for me Snapper's incredibly slow synchronisation is a huge problem from me. Chatter's synchronisation is much much faster and part of that is because it doesn't sync attachments of sent items _but_ it does synch sent item and it _does_ keep a _second_ local copy of sent item with the attachments.

I made my decision and decided that even though Chatter is officially no longer in development, it is the better product for me. I thought I would trade Chatter's superior ability to background sync with the Sent items sync and sorting options of Snapper but in actual use, Snapper's foreground sync is cumbersome, it interferes with the way I work and because it doesn't kick in until the phone has been off for at 5 minutes, doesn't happen automatically often enough - Chatter's push is the way to go for me. Also, even though Chatter can only background sync 7 folders, in reality I don't need to see that many on the road.

-Ben
    Last edited by Swingstylez; 04/24/2007 at 01:17 AM.
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez View Post
    The option "Edit Mailbox" doesn't exist for the inbuilt "TreoSent" mailbox.

The "move selected" option gives the message "Messages can't be moved from the Mailbox." It's not a bug, it's functioning as designed.

-Ben
    *sigh*

Since you're bring snarky and rude, RTFM. I won't even give you a hint about why you're wrong above.

I'm done providing anything on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    I've browsed and searched the forums, but could not find very direct opinions about this. Maybe I wasnt searching good enough. Well...
    On my Treo680 I've been using Versamail, which isn't bad, it's just sort of... Blah! It doesnt do quite what I want.

Question: what is the best 3rd party email app to get for Palm OS5?

(I've tried the demo for SnapperMail... its pretty good, but very pricey for the standard version).
    I'd like an email app that will do about what Snapper does, but I don't want to pay $40 or $50 for it. Preferably a mail app that can be set to check for mail every hour or so (but no "push" email needed).
    really, you didnt find any direct opinions??

chatter is mentioned and talked about all over this forum.

It is the email client I always keep on my treo. Top notch.

Give it a try - you will love it once you take the time to set it up which is very quick.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez View Post
    The option "Edit Mailbox" doesn't exist for the inbuilt "TreoSent" mailbox.

The "move selected" option gives the message "Messages can't be moved from the Mailbox." It's not a bug, it's functioning as designed.

-Ben
    if you never figured this out- you have to go to "edit mailbox" from the main account that you use to sent email from (the place you set up the smtp server name and all)- then on the other tab you can move deleted to deleted, move junk to a junk folder, and upload sent items to the imap sent folder.

My opinion- I used snapper for years but recently went to chatter. The Snapper UI is WAY nicer in my mind. But chatter functions better, push via imap, background everything, all the options (unfortunately not everything got added since Palm bought it out too soon...)

But the big reason I moved to chatter- was snapper is dangerously unstable. Check out the support forums for them- i think they are hosted on yahoo groups if i recall. The developer readily admits there is a major latent database design flaw that hardly effects anyone but when it does it just blows EVERYTHING UP. Apparnetly they need to rewrite the thing from the ground up to correct it (they basically patched the code all to hell for the newer nvfs devices and it just didn't work out). That's why there have been like no minor releases in forever- they supposedly gave up and are starting from scratch. Considering the fast pace that chatter came to be, it makes one wonder if they are even bothering to work on it at all or if snapper is dead. (apparently chatter lucked out since it's younger it didn't get so messed up by the change to nvfs)

As I said i used snapper for a couple years- was very happy- then guess what happened to me? Latent database issue reared it's ugly head and blew me all up. I never wanted to deal with that again so I moved to chatter and imap. If something does go wrong with chatter- you just delete it all and start over and it just resyncs to the imap server and you are just like you were before the problem happened.

I wouldn't pay as much money as snapper costs knowing that it might self desctuct at some point down the road.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    Latent database issue reared it's ugly head and blew me all up.
    Can you explain what "latent database issue" means in layman's terms.

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Can you explain what "latent database issue" means in layman's terms.

TIA

latent is my word- meaning present but not visible, apparent, or actualized; existing as potential:

you have to read through the thousands of threads at yahoo groups to get the whole picture but here's my best at a summary-

To aim you quickly at yahoo groups (snapper's official support place) I did a search for "rewrite" and here's the latest hit I could find:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/S.../message/23990

here's a snippet from snapermail support in that post-

someone asks
    Instead of these creative workarounds to Snappers' very old, fatal flaw -- what's the status
    on a fix?

basically it seems now they are blaming the treo 650

The "fix" is to upgrade to a newer Treo. The fact that we
    >don't see corruption on the newer devices points to a
    >design problem in the Treo 650. Once Palm made the dbcache
    >bigger, the problem disappeared.

and then go on to say

you'll
    >have to wait for our storage system rewrite, which is
    >still in progress. As usual, we do not provide release
    >details or dates in advance.
    Michael M. Rye, Snapperfish Limited Corporation

in a nut shell if you read the hundreds of posts about it- it goes something like this-

In the beginning there was no such thing as flash memory in any reasonable size or price- so the first palms had to constantly be powered or they lost EVERYTHING. If the batteries died you were screwed. There was a big capacitor in them so that you had like 30 second to change the batteries or loose everything.

Then along came flash memory. Like SD cards and compact flash and thumb drives etc (remember just a few years ago we actually had floppy drives in our laptops because there were no thumb drives- LOL). At some point the price point and speed came along that palm could use flash memory in the devices. And along came the treo 650. With it they invented a new file system called NVFS to deal with it. Everything palm made since uses that system.

See:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...case=obj(35222)

That apparently changed in a big way how the palm developers did things. Apparently snappermail had been written prior to the change (I had it on my treo 600) and rather then actually fix it at that point they just band aided the code.

Well since around that time they have had issues with how they store things in memory or something like that (The actual cause/ error escapes me- point is it just implodes taking all your data with it). It happens rarely but snappermail acknowledges (or did) that it was the fault of their code (seems now they are blaming the 650) and when it happened you get screwed. Snappermail has been talking about a rewrite to work properly with NVFS for as long as I can remember.

The Palm article above is from Nov, 2004. I assume Palm told the developers months and months before the 650 came along what the new changes would be so they could write updated code.

So at this point snapper has known about NVFS for like 3 years and still not fixed their code and as above they still wont provide even an estimate for when it might be fixed. So it makes one wonder if there even is a fix. The fact they now are blaming the hardware makes it seem even likelier that they are not anytime soon for a rewrite to fix the issues.

so install snappermail on currnet treo devices (with NVFS) at your own risk.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    by the way- it's a crying shame becasue the UI really was better than chatter in my mind (and by far)
    I like Snapper it fits me good. I love the UI and I don't like to sync I just like to check my email when I want to so I usually do manual email checks. I do miss that fish icon for Snapper though ;_;
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12