Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I found the opposite. use of this App EXTENDS my battery life. I was able to watch 200 hours of video, listen to 47 CDs and run email in the background, all on one charge, and all on one day. I think this app also slows Time itself. very useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    ... I was able to watch 200 hours of video, ... all on one day.
    I thought we have 24 hours in one day... Or you meant 2 hours of video?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wang View Post
    I thought we have 24 hours in one day... Or you meant 2 hours of video?
    His whole post was facetious...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    His whole post was facetious...
    Yeah... I should have thought so.
    In case anyone cant get the file via the site in the first post:

http://treo.twg.org/files/service.led.4.prc
    -tgwaste
    So it looks like this app does not work with Phone Disconnect (the app that makes a solid green when you have a message/phone call waiting) which is a shame. maybe the author of this app will incorporate that functionality. I cant find a contact address for the author though unfortunately.
    -tgwaste
    Will this be available for the 750?
    As mentioned above, I think service LED costs too much in battery power. Over a day, it will drain maybe 25% more of your battery (which moderate to heavy users can not really spare), apparently because it doesnt let your 680 sleep. Personally, I dont think this is worth it just to have a flashing LED, so I ditched it...others may disagree.

However...there is a reasonably good alternative. An unexpected side effect of the Battery.prc freeware is that it has a function that activates the LED whenever it is active while in sleep (REM) mode (typically this is while it checks in with the network). The flashing frequency cannot be adjusted, so it just pops on for a couple of seconds every 30 seconds or so (something like that anyway), but it does not cause any noticable increase in battery drain (providing you dont set it to poll the battery every second while in sleep mode).

Have a look at this graph (generated using BatteryGraph software, which is different from Battery.prc software) showing my battery drain with Battery.prc LED active (showing 5 days on 1 charge). Just before midnight on the 5th day, I loaded Service LED and recharged the TREO at the same time and set Service LED to medium. I made 1 call and apart from that, I hardly used it that morning, but the battery charge plummetted and it was constantly active for about 8 hours (shown by the little green and red (on and off) indicators at the bottom). At that point I removed service LED and now my TREO is back to its good old self. Note, the vertical light blue lines represent midnight, the dark blue line shows battery charge remaining.
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...p-C253CA65.jpg
  9.    #49  
    As I already suggested, if you don't use background apps you will notice something like this which wakes up the Treo. If you DO use background apps, you'll never notice the difference.

If you get 5 days, you obviously don't use any background apps.
    Yes, you may be right, although I would imagine it depends on how active the background apps are compared to Service LED. When you say background apps, do you mean applications that are constantly on? or applications that wake the Treo up at regular (eg. every 5 minutes) intervals? I think Service LED was keeping the Treo awake almost constantly (there are so many on/off events when it was active that it took a long time to even plot that graph). I dont know, but it may be that the drain caused by Service LED is additive, so if your other background app(s) cost you 2% battery per hour, service LED may cost an additional 1% per hour.

My main point for the last post was to suggest battery.prc as a possible alternative for people who would like to regain some LED functionality.
    You just miss all the battery threads...
    Does this work for the 700p?
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Yes, you may be right, although I would imagine it depends on how active the background apps are compared to Service LED. When you say background apps, do you mean applications that are constantly on? or applications that wake the Treo up at regular (eg. every 5 minutes) intervals? I think Service LED was keeping the Treo awake almost constantly (there are so many on/off events when it was active that it took a long time to even plot that graph). I dont know, but it may be that the drain caused by Service LED is additive, so if your other background app(s) cost you 2% battery per hour, service LED may cost an additional 1% per hour.

My main point for the last post was to suggest battery.prc as a possible alternative for people who would like to regain some LED functionality.
    Possible.. By background I mean Chatter and Verichat.. Combined they use 5-6%/hr. They're always somewhat active to keep things connected.

Funny how that all vanished.. Palm must have pushed a firmware update OTA. ;-) (Ignoring the silly Camera update, I never use the camera anyway..)
    Am I really that transparent???
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Hello,
    Can you maybe explain the 'regain some LED functionality' comment a little?

Im looking over this battery.prc application and it doesnt seem to really offer any useful LED functionality. It seems you can just have the light be on when the phone power is off. Im not really seeing a use for that. Are there some setting combinations im missing here?
    -tgwaste
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Possible.. By background I mean Chatter and Verichat.. Combined they use 5-6%/hr. They're always somewhat active to keep things connected.

Funny how that all vanished.. Palm must have pushed a firmware update OTA. ;-) (Ignoring the silly Camera update, I never use the camera anyway..)
    True, I dont use background apps like these ones, but I am a moderate user. I must admit, I sometimes wonder why TREO users who struggle with battery drain opt for 'always on' email modes, when setting it to check every 15 minutes or so would probably have almost the same efficiency but cost a lot less battery (presumably). However, I am sure folks have their reasons or else they wouldnt do it, and I can understand why a chat application needs to be always on (if 'chatting' is something people always do...).
    Quote Originally Posted by tgwaste View Post
    Hello,
    Can you maybe explain the 'regain some LED functionality' comment a little?

Im looking over this battery.prc application and it doesnt seem to really offer any useful LED functionality. It seems you can just have the light be on when the phone power is off. Im not really seeing a use for that. Are there some setting combinations im missing here?
    It has an option where the LED flashes on (not always on) whenever the TREO is active while the screen is off. Under "sleep mode" you select "turn on orange LED in REM sleep". This means it is only 'pretending' to be asleep, and is typically when it is checking in with the network. (when screen is on, you can tell by looking at the network icon). It isnt really intended for this, and it may not be any different even if a network isnt in range (I havent checked), so from that point of view, it may be useless as a 'network in range' indicator (and I apologise if I gave the impression that it was just as good as Service LED in this regard), but I think it is useful to have an indicator of when your TREO is active when it is supposed to be asleep. I also think the battery power usage graph it provides is pretty useful for folks who are struggling with battery life, because it is easy to see if your TREO is suffering from excess drain, such as The Glen Phenomenon. But then I do have a growing reputation as a battery freak.

Note, this is the only icon you should tick for the sleep mode section, or else it will cost extra power...
    Last edited by DIG; 04/25/2007 at 06:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I'm about to upgrade my 650 to a 680 and I'm going to miss seeing if I'm connected to the network or not. Is this battery draining app the only player in town? I'd pay a little to gain the functionality without a hefty current drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    I'm about to upgrade my 650 to a 680 and I'm going to miss seeing if I'm connected to the network or not. Is this battery draining app the only player in town? I'd pay a little to gain the functionality without a hefty current drain.
    Ive been using this program for over a month and it works fine with very little drain.
    -tgwaste
    I cannot believe people WANT this feature. My #1 complaint about my 650, well #1 after all my complaints about the fact that it didn't work, was the stupid, meaningless blinking.

"Look at me! Look at me! I have nothing to indicate! All is well! Look at me! I'm blinking! All night! Look at me! I can light up the whole room! Good luck sleeping! Look at me!"

I can understand that some people on the fringes of service would want a warning indicator that they were roaming. I would too. I would welcome that. But a flashing light to tell me there is nothing to tell me?

Even a solid light would be a HUGE improvement over blinking as it wouldn't be so annoying, like a solid state Chinese water torture. Never mind that it was so bright. Even if I turned my phone upside down it still annoyed me. I had to set my phone on top of laundry to not see the blinking.

How about this for an indicator: whenever I am in service I want a blood-curdling scream every 3 seconds. And I want it to moan when I am roaming. Your choice of moan.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast