1.    #1  
    Get it at www.resco.net

GUI restructuring:

* Basic mode introduced: As the name suggests, it hides rarely used technical features.
    * Most setup dialogs hide advanced options behind Advanced button.

Project templates:

* When creating a new project, the user can make use of predefined projects (RAM Images, Contacts, Prefs and Phone Data).
    * New users will find some of these projects pre-installed

Restore procedure reorganized:

* Possibility to select full or partial restore.
    * Partial restore can start from the DB selection (old way) or from the application selection.
    Notice that application groups take into account known hidden creatorID's or relation to the ROM applications. The result - simpler and more understandable application tree.

Scheduler:

* Added Power-off backup. (Initiated by manual press of the power button.)
    * Backup "every xxx hours" includes now start/end time.
    * Possibility to hide progress bar for individual projects. (Handy for small projects.)
    * Possibility to hide backup countdown for app-exit-triggered backup.

"User-friendly" Verify:

* Files that modify very frequently (such as preferences) are marked as "nearly ok" (black "!=" string) and positioned past all red items.
    * Added [??] button that explain the compare result for selected item.

Other news:

* New filter in the Select Files dialog: 'Select PIM Data'.
    * Online help rewritten to better address most frequent user problems.
    * Card auto-start: RscBackup can be copied to the card folder /Palm. The result - RscBackup is launched when the card is inserted.
    Condition: You must not use another application that processes card events. (Launchers use to do so.)

(Advanced) Treatment of backup errors:

* Additional error checking.
    * User alert in case a corrupted DB is encountered during scheduled backup.
    * Failure of the 'Prevent DbCache Fragmentation' during scheduled backup is logged.

(Advanced) Improvements in the backup procedure:

* Large DBs are stored first.
    * Automatic flushing of the DbCache in case of specific NVFS errors.
    Example when these measures helped: Occasional failures of the VoiceDial backup on T650.
    * PmTraceDatabase and Shim Logs databases excluded from backup. (Purely technical stuff)
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Thanks! it has been a while since I checked for an update. Ben
    Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing how the improvements work. It sounds like it has been made more friendly, which I appreciate when reviewing the logs and what has/has not been backed up.
    Gee, resco works so wonderfully and silently in the background, I hate to muck it up with an updated beta that might not do the same.

<edit> exactly one hour later, 2.01b installed and running. I am a sick puppy. Just GOTTA have the latest version! so far, so good, tho...
    Last edited by shadowboxer; 04/13/2007 at 05:37 PM.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    Gee, resco works so wonderfully and silently in the background, I hate to muck it up with an updated beta that might not do the same.

<edit> exactly one hour later, 2.01b installed and running. I am a sick puppy. Just GOTTA have the latest version! so far, so good, tho...
    Your entire post represents my sentiments exactly!
    Me too. Don't see how Resco Backup can be much simplier or better.
    What's better about Resco than NVBackup (For NVFS devices exclusively of course) ?
    I really like Resco Backup. Alas, with my 650, and continuing with my 680, I suffered a reset every morning after a scheduled overnight backup. It happened when I launched the first or second program of the day.

If I turn off scheduled backups and backup manually, no problems.

So, when NVBackup came out, I switched to it and I don't get any resets. NVBackup is very solid -- backups and restores have been flawless.

The quoted release notes for 2.0 make no mention of a fix for my problem -- don't even know if anyone else suffers this same issue -- but I'll be curious to see if it still happens with version 2.0.
  9.    #9  
    Never have had a single issue with Resco Backup with either my current Treo 700p or my former Sony Clie TH55. It does rock solid scheduled middle-of-the-night incremental backups. The times I've had to restore, it put me back where I was perfectly too.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    No issues for me and just for kicks I did a hard reset/restore with Resco Backup 2.0 and it worked fine.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I really like Resco Backup. Alas, with my 650, and continuing with my 680, I suffered a reset every morning after a scheduled overnight backup. It happened when I launched the first or second program of the day.
    I wonder if this could be a cache issue. I run a scheduled backup every morning a 4 am. I also have it set to clear the cache. Of course I also have it do a soft reset automatically after the backup to clean everything up.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbd View Post
    I wonder if this could be a cache issue. I run a scheduled backup every morning a 4 am. I also have it set to clear the cache. Of course I also have it do a soft reset automatically after the backup to clean everything up.

Bob
    I agree with Bob. I used to have a crashing issue first thing in the AM (would run backup nightly at 2:00 am). Then I started clearing DBCache after backup and the morning reset issue disappeared. I would probably just soft reset, but I do have Technician (or Chatter, can't remember) set to turn on the radio after reset and I like the phone off over night. DBCache clearing works for me...