1.    #1  
    I'm getting a "Not enough dynamic heap memory" message trying to run TT6 after formatting my 8gb SD card to 32K allocation. It worked fine at the default allocation but the card read and write was very slow. I am already managing DBcache pretty effectively with Reset Doctor so I don't think that is the problem. Could anyone help me?
    SE P900-->Treo 650 (Cingular)-->Qtek 9100-->Treo 650 (Unlocked)-->Treo 680 (Unlocked)-->Treo 650-->ATT Tilt-->Blackberry Curve-->?PRE
    I running a 4GB SDHC and hadn't had any problems. But I just popped the card and put it into my PC card reader to verify that I'm using 32K units (which I am). Anyway, when I put the card back in the Treo, I got the same message you are getting. A soft reset seemed to have solved the problem for me but I wonder if it isn't something related to the PC accessing the card.
  3.    #3  
    Just for fun I tried TomTom on a 1gb card with the default allocation and it worked perfectly. I guess it's something about the 32k allocation. I could try the 16k but I'm really enjoying the 32k speed. My MVoice even works again...

Jfaris- do you think I should format the card using the Treo instead of the PC? If so, can you chose to make it a 32k allocation?
    Last edited by cutoffcirc; 04/13/2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Forgot detail
    SE P900-->Treo 650 (Cingular)-->Qtek 9100-->Treo 650 (Unlocked)-->Treo 680 (Unlocked)-->Treo 650-->ATT Tilt-->Blackberry Curve-->?PRE
    Quote Originally Posted by cutoffcirc View Post
    Jfaris- do you think I should format the card using the Treo instead of the PC? If so, can you chose to make it a 32k allocation?
    I don't believe you can specify the allocation size on a Treo format. I've been using my Sandisk card just as it came from the box. I did not reformat so it came with 32K allocation. Have you tried a soft reset? I've not had the problem reoccur since I did but then I haven't run CHKDSK on it again either.
  5.    #5  
    I've actually tried a soft, warm, and hard reset. TT will sometimes start after a soft reset but will then reset the phone once I get to the TT main screen and push the menu or any other key. I can use the TT under three conditions. 1. Using 8 gb card: After a hard reset but before an NVBackup restore of all my programs. 2. With TomTom on a 1GB card (no reset necessary). 3. Using 8 gb card: default allocation of card (no reset necessary). I guess I could just keep a smaller SD in my car for when I'm using TT, but it really defeats the purpose of having this 8gb card. Thanks for all your help so far. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
    Just a couple of thoughts. Was the default allocation on your 8gb card 8k? That seems unusual to me. Did you try formating in the Treo to see what allocation size that would give? I remember there are some old posts that discuss this in some detail but don't remember the specifics.

Since you can run ok after a hard reset but not after restoring programs it seems likely that it does relate to available memory being take up by your other programs. In case it is of some use, here are my basic numbers:
    Storage Heap: 24M, Total Free 3.5M
    DB Cache: 13.3M, Free 12M, Free Chunk 9M
    Dynamic Heap: 5.4M, Free 4.4M, Free Chunk 1.8M
    DB Cache free can get down into 8M range and TT still seems to work ok.
    Also, I do not use the full US map for TT because it really slows things down. I still use the smaller regional maps just like we had to with TT5. I also have a couple of large POI files that seem to affect the time to load TT but not the computations. If you are using the full US map, you might try a regional map to see if that makes any difference.
    Good luck...
  7.    #7  
    Here are my numbers in () next to yours. The biggest places I lose is DBCache which I sort of knew about because I've had issues before. I use Reset Doctor to manage this now and its been OK. The "large" programs I use are Agendus, Chatter, Dial by Photo, MOcean, DTG. Dial by photo is particularly a hog for me. It is what prompted me to have to start managing my cache in the first place. It gave me all kind of problems until the latest release which finally is 100% reliable on my Treo.

I did some more testing and it turns out that the 1gig card isn't 100% like I thought. I caused a reset initially upon trying it today but then worked perfectly after the reboot. I may actually try deleting dialbyphoto. It is "pretty" but not necessary. If you get a chance, let me know what you think if my numbers. I also tried a trial of UDMH which seemed to do nothing although I wasn't sure I was setting it up correctly. Thanks...

Storage Heap: 24M, (24M)
    Total Free 3.5M (8.2M)

DB Cache: 13.3M, (10.5M)
    Free 12M, (7.8M)
    Free Chunk 9M (4.5M)

Dynamic Heap: 5.4M, (5.4M)
    Free 4.4M, (3.4M)
    Free Chunk 1.8M (3.1M)
  8.    #8  
    I don't think I can get the Regional Maps so that may not be an option. I bought it from someone on Ebay who basically just delievered me a 1gb card with the software on it. Apparently, this is some kind of bootleg copy because when I enter the product code of the TT site, it says it is incorrect. The TT site says "second hand" TT software cannot be activated. Oh well, hopefully I can eventually figure this out eith the full map. Thanks again...
    Too bad about the regional maps. I'm no expert but there have been a lot of posts about memory issues and tomtom. My only suggestion is that it might work if you can free up some additional DBCache. Have you considered a custom ROM to remove any built in programs you don't use?
  10.    #10  
    Got it to work with 16k allocation. Should have done that hours ago. Didn't lose my Mvoice functionality either. Incidently, I already was using a pretty stripped down custom ROM (7.1mb, I think). Thanks for all your help...
    I was having the same problem, but I figured out that if I was running Chatter in the background TomTom would give me a memory error and wouldn't start. If I quit out of Chatter TomTom starts fine.

I have a custom rom, with 32bit support for my 4GB SDHC card. I'm not sure how to check the allocation of my card, or how to change it to 16k.

What do I need to do to have TomTom work with Chatter running in the background? Or is that a pipe dream?
  12.    #12  
    do you have a card reader or a way of bring your SD up as a drive on your computer? If so, you should be able to right-click that drive on your computer, go to format, and then change the "Allocation unit size" to 16k and format. The other thing that seems to help immensely is getting the regional maps from TomTom instead of using the US & Canada one which is huge.
    cutoff-
    TomTom allows two device activations with their software, and then you have to call in and explain to them to get anything additional. So if the guy who sold it to you already activated it on two devices...you're locked out.
    If he sold you the original package and license, you should be able to call TT and explain and have it transferred over to you.
  14.    #14  
    Hellosailor- Thanksfor the advice. I have TomTom working well with what i have right now.
    Hey, how did you go about (what program did you use) obtaining the following info:

Total Free 3.5M (8.2M)

Free 12M, (7.8M)
    Free Chunk 9M (4.5M)

Free 4.4M, (3.4M)
    Free Chunk 1.8M (3.1M)

thanks.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by danyotz View Post
    Hey, how did you go about (what program did you use) obtaining the following info:

Total Free 3.5M (8.2M)

Free 12M, (7.8M)
    Free Chunk 9M (4.5M)

Free 4.4M, (3.4M)
    Free Chunk 1.8M (3.1M)

thanks.
    Meminfo (freeware).
    i have formatted my 8gb sdhc card in 32 byte and also in 16 byte clustersizes. in both cases i am experiencing the "not enough db chache memory...." error every now and then when launching tomtom 6. i did not have this problem with a 4gb non-sdhc card. i can live with it, but if someone has a solution, i wouldn't mind.
    "dbcache tool" doesnt help. i remember there being a tool where you could free memory cache whenever you wanted. anybody any clue?
  18.    #18  
    I'm using Reset doctor which you can set to reset erase cache at a specified level. I have mine at 5M which seems to keep everything running smoothly. I routinely run chatter, agendus, dial by photo, and occasionally TT6 without issues. As mentioned above, having the regional maps seems to help significantly. Try a trial of Reset Doctor and see if it helps.