Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I've recently upgraded from 650 to 700P for Sprint, and contrary to many others, my experience has been pretty good. Compared to 650, I'd say it is definitely better and I'm happy I upgraded.

Pros:
    1. Because 700P looks so much similar to 650, my wife hasn't noticed I upgraded.
    2. That said, the rounded corners make a BIG difference. It just looks so much better and feels very comfortable in my pants pocket.
    3. Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't noticed much system delays. I can even say my 700P is pretty snappy. I experienced white screens quite often in the beginning. But, after I fine-tuned my Treo, white screen doesn't show up anymore. I minimized HEDE hit (only app showing in the HEDE list is Butler), and stopped using Zlauncher. I love Zlauncher and have used it for so long time, but I concluded it doesn't work nicely with 700P. Also, I didn't touch Versamail.
    4. EV-DO speed. Enough said.
    5. In addidion to speed, being able to receive a call during data use is a big plus.
    6. More reliable Blazer. Blazer on Treo 650 was like playing Russian Rullet. On 700P, I have encountered zero reset so far.

Cons:
    1. Battery life seems shorter than 650. Does EV-DO consume more battery power?
    2. Sticked out SD card. This issue has been brought up since 600, and Palm still hasn't fixed it. Let's see if Palm will address it on antenna-less 755P. Otherwise we will hear lots of complaining about flying SD cards.
    3. Treo is fat. I want slim and light Treo.
    4. Integrated GPS would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ignar View Post
    Cons:
    2. Sticked out SD card. This issue has been brought up since 600, and Palm still hasn't fixed it. Let's see if Palm will address it on antenna-less 755P. Otherwise we will hear lots of complaining about flying SD cards.
    Battery life is definitely bad - I bought a Seidio extended battery

SD card sticking out - even though it's sticks out mine has never popped out like it did on my Treo 600.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    It doesn't belong in here. I think "Happy Treo users" threads need to have their own subforum!

I keen I keen.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I've recently upgraded from 650 to 700P for Sprint, and contrary to many others, my experience has been pretty good. Compared to 650, I'd say it is definitely better and I'm happy I upgraded.

Pros:
    1. Because 700P looks so much similar to 650, my wife hasn't noticed I upgraded.
    2. That said, the rounded corners make a BIG difference. It just looks so much better and feels very comfortable in my pants pocket.
    3. Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't noticed much system delays. I can even say my 700P is pretty snappy. I experienced white screens quite often in the beginning. But, after I fine-tuned my Treo, white screen doesn't show up anymore. I minimized HEDE hit (only app showing in the HEDE list is Butler), and stopped using Zlauncher. I love Zlauncher and have used it for so long time, but I concluded it doesn't work nicely with 700P. Also, I didn't touch Versamail.
    5. In addidion to speed, being able to receive a call during data use is a big plus.
    6. More reliable Blazer. Blazer on Treo 650 was like playing Russian Rullet. On 700P, I have encountered zero reset so far.

Cons:
    Give it some time, Ignar (rant)...

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    OMG OMG OMG!

A reasonable person. Gasp. Maybe even a member of the Silent Majority?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    ... contrary to many others, my experience has been pretty good...
    Survey asks How would you rate your Treo experience?

As of today,
    I am a very satisfied user 43.40%
    I am modestly satisfied user 28.93%
    72% satisfied.

The silent majority, indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    It doesn't belong in here. I think "Happy Treo users" threads need to have their own subforum!

I keen I keen.
    I sure does belong here, to counter all the negative posts. It's good to see someone new appreciate the Treo, even with some of it's weaknesses.

(Really though, I agree that there should be a "rant" or similar forum, for both positive and negative posts)
    Great idea, without even meaning to be....a uniquely positive 700P thread. Seems only fair. Mine is great.
    Very satisfied myself! I especially appreciated pro #1. My wife never understands why I upgrade. It is actually a huge tribute to the 700P. I just passed the one year anniversary with my ORIGINAL unit.

I went through ten 600's and then thirteen 650's never receiving a device that functioned as expected. My 700P nailed it on the first attempt. This is a new experience sticking with a single device for over a year and not feeling the need to upgrade.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2

Pros:

Cons:

I had constant problems when I first got it. constant reseting, but no problem with BT, or reseting during texting. Then I learned that the Treo, does not run programs on the memory card to well. Even with card reader having programs on the memory card will crash it. Now I just download the install program to the card, and install the actual program on the device. world of difference. The only time it resets, is sometimes with backup buddy, and that is because it's the last one on the card. If someone knows how to move it to the device, please let me know. It has a lock beside it, when I try to copy it.
    Matty
    My overall experience is positive, even though I have battled with many of the issues that has been the center of rants elsewhere on this forum! I think that keeping in perspective the capabilities helps me justify the lag, the resets, and some lacking functions (good BT, Wifi, GPS, etc). I also got upgraded for free, so that ices the cake! But I also understand that not a single device out there works 100% of the time in 100% of its intended capacity. So would I rather have a Palm 700p smartphone that has drawbacks of a lesser device that has its drawbacks...? Simple choice to me!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I've had it just over a month. I can't imagine life without it. It has performed all tasks I ask of it extremely well.

Pros
    - Everything in one place with the Palm interface I know and like.
    - Decent phone w/ features i like (eg ability to look up phone numbers WHILE ON A CALL)
    - Excellent web access/soeed
    - It plays videos. So for the (heavily discounted) price of my phone, I now have the equivalent of an iPod video while i'm at it. This makes me very very VERY happy
    - qwerty keyboard, oh how i love thee (one of the main reasons I upgraded, to be honest -w as sick of txting on a keypad)

Cons
    A couple of resets, always when browsing, and seemingly caused by css and/or graphics-heavy pages (including this one on one occasion!). It's always been obvious why it did it, though, and while a minor annoyance, it's no worse than my computer crashing (IE anybody?!) so I can live with it.

I don't use bluetooth so can't comment on that, but I have experienced virtually no lag ( a little longer when I'm switching from web to any other function, but I assume that's the connection "hanging up" and it's no big deal)

I heart my 700. Especially since I finally found it a case I like....
    The lag when you leave the web is secondary to the device clearing the cache. If you don't want it, just change that option in the prefs. I have never, in the 10 months I've owned mine, had any lags that I even considered to be excessive. I'd recommend people use Palm Internals more frequently if you want to find out what's slowing you down. The answers are right there most of the time.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    The lag when you leave the web is secondary to the device clearing the cache. If you don't want it, just change that option in the prefs. I have never, in the 10 months I've owned mine, had any lags that I even considered to be excessive. I'd recommend people use Palm Internals more frequently if you want to find out what's slowing you down. The answers are right there most of the time.
    Thanks for the explanation! I actually have it set to clear the cache each time, so that makes sense (and I don't mind it - I prefer it to check for new each time so it works for me, especially since the very minor lag doesn't bother me in the least).

What do you mean by "Palm Internals"? Tx.
    Palm Internals is a freeware program that runs on the 700P just fine. It is fairly complicated but essentially scans your device and what you're interested in is the HEDE section of the report it gives you, because that tells you which programs are slowing down your device. Do a search on TC and you should find lots of info.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...?PalmInternals
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Thanks so much for the info! I'm not sure I'm feeling geek-y enough to bother tracking things (especially since the minor lag doesn't bother me in the least) but very useful to know that program is there if I ever need it.

As a short back-to-main-topic ps to my initial post: I love this unit more every day - I honestly can't imagine running my life without it any more. I had a Palm before this, but I didn't use it NEARLY as much as I do now everything is all in one place (and I find the Treo far superior to the E2 and my Visor deluxe and Palm IIIe before that). Google maps for handheld is particularly rocking my world just now - I nearly got lost last night but all I had to do was pull out the Treo and was back on my way in seconds.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    Give it some time, Ignar (rant)...

SMEGGIE
    Heh...nobody got my little play-on-words...

Ignar-rant...Ignorant...GET IT???

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Also in the silent majority . love my treo 700P. I go nowhere without it. Now with Slingplayer it is getting even more use. I havent had the major stalls or resets so I have been lucky. I removed the attenea (Replace with the zoti) and use the extra Battery. so Mine feels like a trep 710 LOL. You just have to not put alot of programs on it. When I had my treo 650 i would just downlaod evey freeware or game and my Palm reset alot and got alot of stalls so i learned to keep my programs basic . But I go nowhere without my 700P.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Also in the silent majority . love my treo 700P. I go nowhere without it. Now with Slingplayer it is getting even more use. I havent had the major stalls or resets so I have been lucky. I removed the attenea (Replace with the zoti) and use the extra Battery. so Mine feels like a trep 710 LOL. You just have to not put alot of programs on it. When I had my treo 650 i would just downlaod evey freeware or game and my Palm reset alot and got alot of stalls so i learned to keep my programs basic . But I go nowhere without my 700P.
    Thats cool... Might as well have gotten a normal phone.. The point of the treo is to be able to load other applications on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Thats cool... Might as well have gotten a normal phone.. The point of the treo is to be able to load other applications on it...

Thats not what I meant, I probally got over 60 applications on my phone but I probally had well over 150 or way more on my treo 650, you cant just download something you see on Palmgear and assume it will work OK. Have to treat the treo as a PC (WHich is almost is) , I used to download programs and games for my PC years ago and get the crashing and blue screens , now I dont just download random software any more and my PC has been running great for years. Since I stopped downloading every piece of software that I see on Palmgear my treo is stable. One test I did once in a while was when I was getting the stalls and white screens is to Backup my Treo and hot reset it and it would work fine so I knew the issues was one (or more) of the software I had on my Treo . I Literaly had around 200 programs on my tro 650. All the free games etc. but just like the problems alot of people have with say the toysoft stuff reseting there devices, if a company that has been around and is established has some bugs in there software , the odd are that some of these other programs made by smaller developers have a few , so you have to just be carefull what you put on it. I have tested the Treo 700P without any software on it and it rans fine for days so I think alot of the stalls and crashed are softeare based. This is not to take Palm out of the blame as they need to fix the Bluetooth and the camera is horrible.

I use the Treo as my Email, Internet, TV, MPS player, Movie player, Game device and it works great . I didnt mean to leave the device empty, just treat it like your pc .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast