1.    #1  
    Just wanted to post the review I wrote about the Palm Backup Beta application.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2007/04/re...ckup-beta.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I installed this and it works fine. Upload even on a non-EVDO Sprint connection was only a couple of minutes.

Question: How do you access the Restore mode? I did not delete all my data to find out but cannot find a Restore mode in any of the menus.
    This app is a no-frills app for your average joe. There is no restore option. If data is missing the app will auto restore it.
    I tried the app and it errors off in the last step. It looks like everything backs up fine, but I get a database error at the end. I am using Verizon - anyone get this to work on Verizon?
    According to the review, he deleted some files, the program noticed they were missing and restored them. hehe This sounds to me like there's a possibility of not being able to get rid of something because the Restore function keeps bringing it back. Kinda like the Palm version of Groundhog day! LOL

I may have missed something in the review though. That's what came to mind. I couldn't help but laugh about it. Program seems to work flawlessly for me. Teal Backup did it's nightly backup at midnight, then this one auto-ran aroun 5:30am without a hitch. So far so good.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you.
    Unfortunately, it's not working for me. I can get through the backup of Contacts, but partway through Events, my T680 spontaneously resets. I have checked my call log [pretty thin...]. I have yet to complete my 1st Palm backup OTA.
    Jposin, which carrier are you using? I am on Verizon and mine doesn't work either. I get the following message when sending tasks:

Synchronization failed [error = error communicating with remote server. Database error(0xF131)]

Found this error by going to OPTIONS, TraceLog.

Appears to me that something is not set up at Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by jposin View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not working for me. I can get through the backup of Contacts, but partway through Events, my T680 spontaneously resets. I have checked my call log [pretty thin...]. I have yet to complete my 1st Palm backup OTA.
    Intriguing idea. Here are my thoughts:

1) A great step in the right direction. I would love to see future releases of this program allow you to back-up your apps as well, saving you money from similar programs that charge (more?) money to do the same thing.

2) I have seen the future and I sure hope it involves OTA synching (No more tethering to a desktop or laptop to synch!) With faster data rates from cell phone carriers improving every day, this looks like a winner.

3) If you lose your phone, this service should be a snap to transfer your data to your replacement phone, once you re-establish your phone number and wireless service from your mobile provider.
    justleft--

I'm on Cingular. I'm not sure it is a network issue, and I am not getting error messages on the device [and the logs are not helpful]. It just up and dies in the middle--I wonder if there is some kind of internal conflict/background app interfering in some way.
    My guess is the problem I am having is on the Verizon side. Looks like this app is backup up to the carriers server, but who knows whether or not it is established on their side. I will be calling Verizon this morning to try and get this resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by jposin View Post
    justleft--

I'm on Cingular. I'm not sure it is a network issue, and I am not getting error messages on the device [and the logs are not helpful]. It just up and dies in the middle--I wonder if there is some kind of internal conflict/background app interfering in some way.
    Jimmie,

I deleted all of the databases of the one that it backed up. It never allowed me to restore until I did a hard reset.

Read my review at http://www.palmloyal.com/addons.php?...icle&sid=17924
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
  12.    #12  
    I didn't have to do a hard reset to get my databases back. I deleted all of them, and when I went to Palm Backup the "restore" button was there, it seemed to know something was missing. I've only seen the "restore" button when I deleted all of the databases. It's definitely Beta software, don't ditch your backup software.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Im on Sprint with a 700 and it seems flawless "so far".
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I have been using backuupbuddy.net Same principal, but much more extensive and expansive. Works great, and I have used it many times.
    pilottreo1
    I opened a ticket with Palm on Saturday regarding the backup issues I encountered. when I get something definitive from them, I will post it here.
    who would trrust palm or anyone else with their contacts and other private information, i certainly don't
    Treoing & Loving it
    FWIW, the install bashed ePocrates and then caused soft resets during HotSyncs [when ePoc went to AutoUpdate]. I had to delete Palm Backup and ePoc and reinstall ePoc. No thanks--this app is not ready for prime time for me.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hi,

Palm's idea isn't very new. Orange has had a similar, very simple backup application on their GSM Treo 600 since about 2003 which has been working flawlessly for all the time for me since and has given me exactly the security I needed. Dunno why Palm has to reinvent the wheel, why they can't do that in a way that works, and - above all - why they do it that late...

R.