1.    #1  
    Does anyone notice if their unit is hot, (charging in crowed desktop), the LCD will be dimmer/off?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Ok, this is weird, because I logged in here to post pretty much the same question.

Mine does it ONLY when/after being in the car charger; it's fine otherwise. I'm concerned about frying it, so am wondering whether it's the unit or the charger!

TIA.
    Actually to me what's weird is that this question is only really coming up for the 700p now almost a year after the device came out. Although I've never seen an official answer regarding this, all of the research I did into it indicates that it is related to heating/overheating, and it does dim the screen (and also disable continuous charging if you pay attention to the light) until the unit cools down.

I'm personally hoping this is a design feature meant to prevent damage and not an accidental quirk, otherwise I'd hate to think what sort of potential damage could be done to the Treo everytime this happens. That being said, this only happened to me once and that was actually on the first night I got my Treo and was spending a lot of time charging the unit and doing simultaneous EVDO speed tests (which really heats the radio up fast).
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    Does anyone notice if their unit is hot, (charging in crowed desktop), the LCD will be dimmer/off?
    I have this problem on my Cingular Treo 650 while charging...
    don't know if it is related to the device temperature, but it
    happens only (sometimes) while charging on the cradle.
    This is by design. On the 700wx if I'm using a charger while talking for an extended amount of time, the Treo will not only dim the screen and turn off the charging light, but it will show a special icon with what looks like heat waves.

When this happens (not often) I simply switch batteries and let the first battery (and consequently the Treo itself) cool down.

My Treo 650 did the same thing, but not as elegantly (no heat icon). It would just shut the backlight completely off.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Not good, especially for the battery, to become hot.

When charging and using the phone at the same time, it is a good idea to remove your treo from any case. You can also try removing the battery cover if and when the screen starts blanking, and if possible, put the treo face down so that the heat can vent a little. It usually cools down a bit when I do this while I have it on the charger and am on the phone (via bt headset)

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  7.    #7  
    This only happens while charging and also using tethered data. If its finished charging I think just the radio itself won't cause the effect
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    This only happens while charging and also using tethered data. If its finished charging I think just the radio itself won't cause the effect
    True. It's only an issue when trying to use the phone for extended periods of time (45 or more minutes straight) while it is on the charger. Otherwise, I've gone all day without any excess heat.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I can get this behavior if I've been running ptunes for 30 minutes+ w/ chatter in the background.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    So most of you think its not a flaw? this happens to me constantly while i'm charging my phone too and it gets hot. It also happens when i listen to the radio using kinoma for longer than half hour.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafy View Post
    So most of you think its not a flaw? this happens to me constantly while i'm charging my phone too and it gets hot. It also happens when i listen to the radio using kinoma for longer than half hour.
    It might be considered a flaw if the phone was powered by cold fusion and all conducting material were superconductors. Rumor has it that those features will be on the 985,756,892,485,000p.
    The fact that the phone gets warm is potentially a problem. No argument there. I was addressing the fact that the screen dims and why. It dims the backlight because the backlight is an additional source of heat and the device is trying to compensate for overheating. That part is by design.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

It has to be some type of built in protection. I have had that issue when leaving the phone in a hot car or over running Slingbox from my cradle at work for an hour. As soon as the phone cools down, it goes back to normal. I actually put mine in the fridge once to speed the process.
    I don't recommend using the refrigerator. Sudden changes in temperature can cause condensation build-up (water) in the device. We all know that water and electronics don't mix. Also, sudden changes in temperature can cause the plastic casing to crack.

It's best to let the device cool off on its own. Swapping the battery will remove some of the heat and so will removing the Treo from any case you might be using if you plan to use the phone for an extended period of time.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint