Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My tomtom makes an annoying beeping and bell sounded alert when I use tomtom without a bluetooth gps present. does anyone know how i can shut it off?
    Is bluetooth on at all? In TT5 and TT6, if you don't have BlueTooth on, you keep getting reminded. You don't need the GPS receiver on but Bluetooth on your device must be on.

If that's not the problem, exactly what are you doing when you get the alert? I don't notice anything but maybe I haven't done what you did.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Yeah bluetooth is on and I'm still getting the alerts. Have you ever used tomtom 6 on the treo without turning on the gps unit? Let me know if you get any alerts or bells when the gps unit is off. The only reason I use the tomtom without the gps unit on is when I map out directions in advance of the trip. Thanks for your help!
    This is a puzzler. I use TT6 all the time without the gps unit on. I leave the gps receiver off in my car. I'll use TT6 exactly as you do, to check things in advance. The only alerts I get are when I don't have Bluetooth on, which is rarely.

Do you have any other software installed that might be giving you alerts? Maybe when Bluetooth turns on? or something that's checking your bluetooth devices?

I looked through the configuration settings but there's nothing that says to warn if a gps receiver is not connected.

Bob
  5.    #5  
    Wow this is weird why I'm the only one that have the problem. I remember tomtom 5 didn't do this. The only thing I can think of is I installed the tomtom .prc from palm's website, the "680 tomtom update." I guess I'll try to reinstall. Thanks for you help Bob!
    I installed the update from Palm as well. TT6 wouldn't work until I installed it. Might be worth posting on another forum just to see if anyone else bites.

Bob
    The problem I have when the GPS is not on (or not present) is that every 5 seconds Tomtom will go in discovery mode to try to find one. I have to click Cancel every time if I want to do an Advanced Route which is REALLY annoying. Anyone know how I can stop that?
    Bulishor, please confirm whether you get these messages when Bluetooth is on on your device. Ever since TT5, TomTom has insisted on having Bluetooth on, so if it isn't, every few seconds it asks. Yes it's annoying, but I don't have a real problem since I always have Bluetooth on for a wireless headset.

When I had my Tungsten T3, I used BlueFang to automatically turn Bluetooth on when TomTom was launched and turn it off when TomTom ended.

Bob
    If BT is off, then I get a message every 5 seconds asking me if I want to turn it on. If it's turned on, it goes into discovery mode every 5 seconds trying to find a GPS device. It almost makes Tomtom useless without a GPS receiver unless it can be turned off. Any ideas? Are you not seeing the same thing?
    No I'm not. It does say searching for GPS device in the status area but it doesn't give me any alert or stop me from doing anything else. I'll look into some of the options and see if I can spot anything.

Have you connected to a GPS receiver at least once?

Bob
    My TT6 does the same thing. Beeps every few seconds when not connected.
    SE P900-->Treo 650 (Cingular)-->Qtek 9100-->Treo 650 (Unlocked)-->Treo 680 (Unlocked)-->Treo 650-->ATT Tilt-->Blackberry Curve-->?PRE
    Thanks cutoffcirc, that gave me the clue. No wonder I don't hear the beeps, I have my System alert volume Off. All those beeps whenever anything happens bug me, so I turn them off. If there's anything really important, an alert dialog pops up. So while TT is checking for a GPD receiver every few seconds, and a message appears on the main screen, I don't hear the beep, and since it's just the message rather than anything I have to respond to, I'm not bothered.

For those who don't care about the system alerts, just turn it off in the Sounds and Alerts panel. For those who want some of them, ask around or search for something that will let you control which applications use the system alert. I don't know if one exists, but it's worth asking.

Bob
  13.    #13  
    Great solution Bob! It worked. Not sure why Bulishor is having the bt discovery problem, I don't have that issue. Could it be the GPS unit Bulishor is using. Have you try deleting the bt device from the treo and then re-connecting it?
    Not sure if it's actually discovery or whether it's just looking for a GPS signal.

Bulishor, what's the message that you get? And is it just a message on the screen or is there a dialog box that pops up?

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by ace1281 View Post
    Great solution Bob! It worked. Not sure why Bulishor is having the bt discovery problem, I don't have that issue. Could it be the GPS unit Bulishor is using. Have you try deleting the bt device from the treo and then re-connecting it?
    The receiver is a GlobalSat BT359. Yes, I've deleted it and it behaves the same way. It does that whether or not a receiver is present so I don't think it has anything to do with the receiver...

Geez, I always thought it was a Tomtom 'feature' but if you say it's not happening to you, there may be hope yet! (IF I can rezolve it that is) Any help is appreciated.
    Okay, Bulishor, let's go back to the beginning to make sure what we're talking about. A few questions:

1) If you have Bluetooth on and your GPS receiver on and start TomTom6, is everything okay?

2) If you have BlueTooth on and your GPS receiver off and start TomTom6, exactly what happens? If a message come out, what is the message and where does it appear? In other words, is it in the display or is there a dialog box asking you to tap OK/Cancel, or something else?

Bob
    What I've found works best for me:

Go to the TomTom GPS Status screen and tap the Configure button and select one of the WIRED GPS models when you're not using your TomTom with your bluetooth GPS head. Leave bluetooth turned off until you need it.

I use TomTom all the time without the GPS head, (and with Bluetooth turned OFF in the 680 saving power). So I leave TomTom set to one of the wired GPS models unless I want to use the GPS head, at which point I turn on bluetooth, turn on the GPS head, launch TomTom, and set the GPS Configure back to the bluetooth setting for my GPS head.

Billy
    Thanks tvBilly, that seems to be a reasonable workaround although it's kind of a hassle trying to change settings when I'm in my car just to be able to use Tomtom.

Basically what happens when I have it set to a BT receiver is this: displays message "Connecting to BT device...", after a few seconds it displays the message "No GPS device!", after another 20 seconds the BT Discovery Results (Palm OS) window pops up and shows any BT devices in range. I have to click Cancel and then it does the whole thing over again.

I guess I would accept this as a 'feature' but from what I can see I may be one of the few that are getting this problem. Could there be some setting that is constantly requiring a GPS signal?
    You have your Bluetooth visibility set to Visible, correct? So when TomTom is looking for the GPS receiver to connect to, and that you've already specified is a Bluetooth device, it does the BT search and finds anything in range. Unless you need to be discovering BT devices generally, change your Bluetooth Visibility in the BT panel to Hidden. Once you've established a connection to the GPS receiver, you don't need to be visible. Once you tunr the receiver on, a connection will happen.

Bob
    Actually my Visibility setting is always set to Hidden... I don't think that would matter because that's only for the Treo to be seen BY other devices not for the Treo to be looking FOR other devices.

I still haven't been able to find a solution but tvBilly's suggestion to set the BT device to wired while using it without one does the trick.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast