Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    OK guys, here's the first of my blitzkrieg on tech support to make somebody (Palm, Verizon) acknowledge and rush that ROM update out of the door.

I contacted Verizon Tech support about the Bluetooth issues and the lags/freezes. First online, and they told me that Bluetooth stops working because of Hot Sync issues . When hot syncing the database may get corrupt thus the BT stack will stop working properly. So they suggest doing a hard reset, renaming the backup folder with another name and re-install apps one by one. Not that I haven't done this in the past, say 8-9 months? Silly me, Hotsync-ing the 700p fesses up the bluetooth...

Anyhow I now contact their live tech customer support. Eli picks up. I tell him my problems (Bluetooth and lags/freezes). He first asks me if I did what the email suggested; I tell him of course! about 2 times in the last 3 months. I tell him I found about this solution reading the "Internetz forums" *wink wink *. The man then almost in no time, has a great idea, almost a genius strike if I dare say: YOU NEED TO RESET YOUR PHONE. DAILY. He then goes on to say PDAs need constant re-setting and he has to do that with his samsung i720 all the time, 6-7 times a day and it works. Therefore, without further ado, that should solve the problem.

He then goes to explain that every time the phone does something, the memory starts filling up, and then when memory maxes out the Bluetooth goes out first, then the phone freezes and the keyboard then locks out. OK, I play along, but then I "naively" tell him "isn't this something to do with Windows Mobile phones? My phone has Palm OS, I had Palm OS devices before and I did not need to reset the phone that much". Moment of hesitation, and Eli has a comeback: resetting is still required. You will see many 3rd party solutions that provide battery cover replacements with holes for easy access to the reset pin. "Oh boy" I say "I already have that side covered, I do have the battery cover with holes and indeed I do reset the device every time BT goes berserk or the phone freezes". At this point I was hoping he'd notice my cynic approach but he was too nice. We agreed on me trying out a daily reset for 2 weeks to see if things improve. We all now that this won't solve squat, but lets just see what type of answer I get in two weeks.

BTW I told him that many forums online and even Palm itself had mentioned "something about the phone's BT being faulty and that a patch would be in the works to fix it" but he promptly disregarded that, saying that the problems I am experiencing are pretty much solved by resets and that's how things roll.

You see? It's not that Palm has already acknowledged the faulty 700p, or that everyone has experienced the same thing. It is that you need to reset the device many many times because that's just how life is. ROM-SCHROM, your 700p won't get better than what it is already. Verizon dix it.
    **** poor CS! We already knew Sprint's CS has no real product knowledge, but its evident that no company does!
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I suggest you push the reset button and never release it - it will solve all your problems
    Meanwhile, Motorola yesterday released the 3rd major firmware upgrade for its Motorola Q smartphone on Verizon.

No way the big holdup for the 700p is in Verizon's end.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I'm not very smart, and this may be a lunkheaded observation, but isn't the Bluetooth stack in ROM? And doesn't that mean that part of the memory isn't written to unless you use a bootloader? If I'm thinking correctly (not very common), then how could a hotsync write to the ROM and mess up the Bluetooth? What your Verizon CS rep told you doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I can tell you that in order to use my Plantronics 590A at all, I have to reset the phone after nearly every call. And even then, it only will connect immediately about 40 percent of the time. The rest of the time it won't connect at all or will connect 15 or 20 seconds into the call. I don't think they're gonna fix it at all. It's a hardware problem.
    I doubt I'm the first person to mention this, but I don't think there ever was - if there even is now - a 700p patch in the works until forum readers let Palm know they weren't happy with the device's problems. I'm sure they were going to merrily cruise along through the EOL date while readying their next devices, and are now scrambling to throw a patch together (hence the "fluid" release date). They apparently haven't figured out that treating their customers like this is not the way to get them to buy more of products. I'd even go so far as to say it has the opposite effect.

Thanks, g-funkster, for mentioning the Moto Q's 3rd firmware update. That really pisses me off (the news, not your sharing it ). Good for Q owners. Maybe I'll be one of them soon.
    Pisses you off that the Q had 3 or that it needed 3?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Thanks all for the replies above...

And indeed we face less-than-stellar tech support examples. To have the indecency of relating Bluetooth problems to faulty Hot Sync databases? You need to be very clever to come up with that lame explanation. Next thing they'll tell me the phone is fubar because of the planet's alignment was not right...

The official Palm blog says next week will be when they give an update on when the update will be out... we are in the grindhouse people, they just don't give us rest and what we deserve: a functional Treo
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    I'm not very smart, and this may be a lunkheaded observation, but isn't the Bluetooth stack in ROM? And doesn't that mean that part of the memory isn't written to unless you use a bootloader? If I'm thinking correctly (not very common), then how could a hotsync write to the ROM and mess up the Bluetooth? What your Verizon CS rep told you doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I can tell you that in order to use my Plantronics 590A at all, I have to reset the phone after nearly every call. And even then, it only will connect immediately about 40 percent of the time. The rest of the time it won't connect at all or will connect 15 or 20 seconds into the call. I don't think they're gonna fix it at all. It's a hardware problem.
    Yes. The Bluetooth stack software is in the ROM, but, it does create and store databases in storage memory and it does use memory in the heap (think of storage memory like a hard drive and heap like RAM in a computer) to keep track of things.

All a bootloader does is provide an interface to the hardware for booting up a computer. For some devices it might do things such as extract the ROM from a location and decompress it (this happened in the TX I believe).

I love it when I go to send a file from my MacBook Pro and the Treo thinks that my MBP is a Bluetooth headset, or when I pair up my headset with the Treo and let it sit for a couple of hours and they unpair. That is always fun. Get a call, put the headset in, answer it and realize that they are not connected... By the way, this is Palm's Ultralight headset. You know, the one that they say is compatible with the Treo 700p...
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    The official Palm blog says next week will be when they give an update on when the update will be out
    That reminds me of the old joke about getting a written update on a status report. Or a two page summary of a one page memo.
    Forensic Scientist

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I don't know why but I really feel the linux os might be made available to the 700. its just so close to this new one coming out which will have to have it because who in there right mind would buy it knowing the linux version coming out this year... I know I am pulling on this but it would really make me fall in love with palm again. I mean really NO UPDATES wtf... If they want 20 dollars I think I would still do it but that isn't a update that is buying new OS. I would just be thrilled to have the new os that is for sure. Palm seems to be moving in the right direction... they need to bite the bullet and make there customers happy again. I love this phone. love showing it off. but I still have plenty to ***** about though so its hard for me to recommend it. Advertising only goes so far. Word of mouth goes miles.... Palm please do the right thing. Lots of mixed users here.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Verizon CS = dolts.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    that CS guy is slick. that tells you what the real business model for a company is when they supposedly monitor calls for satisfation purpses are all about
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    obviously a call to tech support isn't going to help you...I could have told you that.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I think it was envy that a company actually supports their product. Sprint's solution for me was to give me a replacement 700p, but I'm sure I'm going to have the same problems, and I'll be heading to the Q. With no Q9 on the near horizon for Sprint, it would only make sense (like that ever matters) to ok the WM6 upgrade when it's available, hopefully over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Pisses you off that the Q had 3 or that it needed 3?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I would be pissed that it needed 3 and/or that it took them 3 tries to get it. Will the Q be needing anymore that we know of?
    having beta tested mp3 players, I wouldn't be pissed. they update firmware all the time. Sometimes it fixes problems, and sometimes it improves functionality. Beta testing can only do so much, and you can't fix every problem the first time around. Just because they had three doesn't mean they were addressing the same issue each time. It's also a first generation phone as opposed to the 700 which is essentially a 3rd generation phone. It's not like they could learn from their mistakes with previous generations.

And we can't even get one update to take care of problems that were known at it's release and in some cases were even present on the previous generation model. At least Motorola recognized problems and solved them. And if it holds true that they'll update the phones to WM6 when it's made available would be another plus. And...their new model is already known, and they're still supporting their current model.

I think I'd rethink being pissed at three updates, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    I would be pissed that it needed 3 and/or that it took them 3 tries to get it. Will the Q be needing anymore that we know of?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    My bluetooth problems went away when I stopped turning off bluetooth on the Treo. My other problems are less frequent since I started doing daily resets. I reset every morning before work.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    having beta tested mp3 players, I wouldn't be pissed. they update firmware all the time. Sometimes it fixes problems, and sometimes it improves functionality. Beta testing can only do so much, and you can't fix every problem the first time around. Just because they had three doesn't mean they were addressing the same issue each time. It's also a first generation phone as opposed to the 700 which is essentially a 3rd generation phone. It's not like they could learn from their mistakes with previous generations.

And we can't even get one update to take care of problems that were known at it's release and in some cases were even present on the previous generation model. At least Motorola recognized problems and solved them. And if it holds true that they'll update the phones to WM6 when it's made available would be another plus. And...their new model is already known, and they're still supporting their current model.

I think I'd rethink being pissed at three updates, but that's just me.

I didn't realize the Q was release as a public beta.

By the way what exactly was fixed each time? I have received 4 patches from palm. Do you know for certain the the Q fixes were anymore significant?
    Magnetic pulses? Have you had any of those in the area while using your 700p? They can affect Bluetooth too but can be fixed by resetting the 700p everytime you experience one. You'll know one happened when the Bluetooth stops working.

What about cleanliness? Sometimes the dust and the dirt builds up in the 700p and clogs the Bluetooth's stack. When a chimney stack gets clogged you have to clean it. The Bluetooth's stack is no different which is why it is also called a stack. Don't put in the washer though. The 700p is like cashmir and is dry clean only. So take it to a dry cleaner and if that doesn't work give me a call back in two weeks while I'm on vacation.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast