Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wow...an a-hole response. must be a fanboy. own an ipod too?
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    I didn't realize the Q was release as a public beta.
    when was the last time a pda, mp3 player or what not that requires some sort of firmware to run was perfect out of the box upon release? How about never? Kinda the reason why they are firmware upgradeable. Beta testing can only do so much. There's going to be many more scenarios encountered in widespread real world use that beta testers just wouldn't cover. That's a lot different than known HARDWARE issues that they just choose to ignore so they can push a product out the door. Rio had a problem with the Carbon where headphones with metal bases around the plug would cause static. Never saw it in beta units because they had plastic around the jack where the production models had metal. When they realized the problem was the design, they stopped production, made the change and continued on. They offered dongles to current customers with the problem to alleviate the static.

And I'm referring to the 700P. Could give a rat's *ss about the W. So your four patches don't mean a thing. The main issue with the 700p is the fact that it was built on the same hardware as the 700w and there are incompatibilities with the hardware and the palm OS. They were known at the time of the phone's release and never addressed or made public till the complaints started rolling in.
    By the way what exactly was fixed each time? I have received 4 patches from palm. Do you know for certain the the Q fixes were anymore significant?
    In regards to the Q fixes, the one major fix was with the battery life. MOL2 greatly improved battery life. Since you asked about the updates, here...

Q Black – Software Functionality Update
    The Motorola Q Black will be launching with a software upgrade.* This upgrade offers various improvements over the software upgrade the Q Silver received shortly after launch. Motorola Q Black Enhancements include:
    •Added BroadbandAccessConnect support on Windows 2000 and connection via Bluetooth®
    •Added jog dial control for Bluetooth®headset volume
    •Battery life improvement
    •*228 activation fails in selected network after firmware upgradeusing Motorola MSU tool
    •Goodlinkdata stall issue
    •Backlight remains ON while incoming call alert is active
    •Changed default input mode to numeric when device is in locked state
    •Master clear delete user data in file system*

Referred to as MOL2 -- Maintenance Over Life 2 or MR2 – Maintenance Release 2. MOL2 also gave the ability to open zip files.

MOL3 Software:
    1) 2007 Daylight Savings Time Update: Fix contained in update will keep Q clock and calendar in synch with the new 2007 Daylight Savings Time calendar (permanently, as opposed to MSFT CAB file which is temporary until Master Reset)
    2) Random power downs: Fix contained in update will prevent the power downs from occurring
    3) "Data Stall" when using Goodlink: Fix contained in update will allow data to be received by Q properly when Goodlink application is being used
    4) Battery Dead White Screen:
    Issue: When battery dies, Q screen displays vertical white lines on the Verizon start up screen and gets locked there even if battery gets taken out
    Fix contained in update: When battery battery dies, consumer will see blank (black) screen until phone is recharged

The DST fix being built in is nice so it doesn't have to be redone when you do a hard reset. Others mentioned programs that didn't work before now run and that the system seems to run a little smoother in general. The above isn't the complete list. But it does seem there was some sort of core improvement as well.

No third update available on Sprint phones yet though. There was MOL1, but I don't know what the fixes were.

And again...nothing but blown deadlines and denial for the 700p update.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    All of those "updates" appear to me like oopsies that should have been there from the begining.
    again, for those in the cheap seats. name a product that was perfect out of the box, that didn't need tweaking or updates? what were your precious updates for your Treo since you're sitting on the high horse?
    All of those "updates" appear to me like oopsies that should have been there from the begining.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    So by your logic, the lack of any fixes released for the Treo 700p in over 10 months since release must mean that this baby was perfect out the door?

These are complicated devices, and I surely don't expect "perfection" everytime out of the chute.

However, I *DO* expect a sincere beta-testing (and fixing) program BEFORE general release, and also manufacturer followup after release to identify and fix (and maybe even improve/add functionality) to these "high-end" devices. I can understand Palm not doing much for the Zire 22 crowd, but consistently screwing over the people who shell out upwards of $650.00 on a cell phone seems a very bad business decision to me.

Every computer has bugs.... and 10 months later the 700p still has the same version in ROM of Docs to Go that was outdated the first day they shipped the device - there's one simple example of bad customer support.

I've worked on many Dell workstations that were in the 20's and 30's of firmware releases - very minor perhaps, and probably unnecessary for the average users to install. BUT - it indicates to me the level of attention and support that Dell puts into their reputation *AFTER* they've got your money. Palm's attitude seems to be that they will only release a firmware fix if their customers can complain continuously about the problems loud enough to get it into the first or second page of the business pages. This is hardly a recipe for success, and their customers are IMHO appropriately angry.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Amen to that response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    So by your logic, the lack of any fixes released for the Treo 700p in over 10 months since release must mean that this baby was perfect out the door?

Not at all. I just think some if not ALL of the Q fixes were rudimentary and without a doubt should have worked out or the box.

I am certain that if I couldn't adjust the volume of my headset with the side keys (or jog dial if so equiped) that Palm would have rushed a patch.

Such things like volume control, screen dimming, typing numbers when its supposed to, etc.. have worked since I pulled the 700p out of the box.

I personally don't have problems with my 700p. I do believe that some do. I also believe that intermitent problem makes a fix a bit more complex than, oh say... making a Jog dial adjust volume. (not to harp on that, but it really cracks me up!)

I would like to see support for more BT headsets, however the one I use is fully functional.

Plus the Q is ugly and so is anyone that carries it
    it's easy to poke fun at a first generation device when the Treo has had what, 4-5 generations to get it right? Oh wait a minute. I forgot. They didn't get it right. They rushed a product to market with known problems due to hardware incompatibilities. Great and wonderful that yours works fine, but it's not fine for a significant amount of people who dropped a significant amount of money on a marginally improved product over the previous generation. And seriously...three generations of the same exact casing? Like it would've been that hard to have the 650 successor be in a 680/750 case? That would've been a significant update. Instead they rearranged a few buttons and gave you high speed access.

I guess when your contacts list has five people in it, and the biggest thing you do is play bejeweled all day, it should work as expected

Also, the bluetooth problem is more than incompatibility with more than just a few headsets, it's the resets and lost calls that happen as well when trying to reactivate it.

Nothing wrong changing convenience type features around in a firmware fix. A few engineers think it should be X. Beta testers aren't really looking for that as an issue. It gets glossed over until it hits the masses which give lots of negative feedback resulting in a simple fix in the next update that also contains some major fixes like significant improvement of battery life, improved speed and OS stability, and improved 3rd party application compatibility.
    Pisses you off that the Q had 3 or that it needed 3?
    That it's already had 3. I don't expect perfection on day 1, but evolution is nice. Ideally it wouldn't need 3 updates, but it also shows the product is being supported and the mfgr is responding to feedback.

Then there's Palm.
    Actually I have 6 contacts and prefer Bejewled 2

Seriously though I use the hell out of it. I have over 3,000 contacts which are also linked to all past present and future properties of each contact. Tons of records; contact notes, closings (past and present) etc... My entire MLS and Agent roster (not included in my contacts). And about 50 apps, 20 or so that get used daily.

The 600 was fairly stable but the screen was horrible. The 650 OS was stable but had to be returned several times for hardware issues. So far I have had the same 700p for several months and feel its the best one yet.

I do however, recognize that others have problems, and feel thier pain. Even more so when I envision them carrying a Q as an alternative
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12