Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. e2chris's Avatar
    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
       #1  
    I read in a article somewhere they bought Chatter... thoughts? I own it and like it. I am worried it will be spun off by palm to a company supported by palm who goes bankrupt and gets bought a company which then sells it back to the original company so they can use it. Sound familiar?
    If I could know then, what I know now.
  2. #2  
  3. #3  
    I hope that Marc's perspective on life is infectious and Palm catches it:

    - constant real (not PRPRPR $flack$-$managed$) $interaction$ $with$ $customers$.
    - frequent upgrades and bug fixes.
    - soliciting and incorporating user suggestions often.
    - real human voice rather than CorpSpeak.

    My dream of dreams -- Chatter is now in the ROM of the Great Linux Treo. All of the full over-the-air PIM sync with an Exchange Server that we've wanted forever and forever is built-in. It works.
  4. e2chris's Avatar
    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
       #4  
    oh boo hoo! I NEVER go to that forum...
  5. #5  
    Which forum do you "NEVER" go to?
  6. ambtreo's Avatar
    Posts
    476 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I hope that Marc's perspective on life is infectious and Palm catches it:

    - constant real (not PRPRPR $flack$-$managed$) $interaction$ $with$ $customers$.
    - frequent upgrades and bug fixes.
    - soliciting and incorporating user suggestions often.
    - real human voice rather than CorpSpeak.

    My dream of dreams -- Chatter is now in the ROM of the Great Linux Treo. All of the full over-the-air PIM sync with an Exchange Server that we've wanted forever and forever is built-in. It works.
    My dream as well Tastypeppers. Certainly things will improve dramatically, at a minimum. Hopefully we get it all (email, contact, calendar OTA sync). Knowing Marc, I can't see how he would sell Chatter without getting all of the above.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    I read in a article somewhere they bought Chatter... thoughts? I own it and like it. I am worried it will be spun off by palm to a company supported by palm who goes bankrupt and gets bought a company which then sells it back to the original company so they can use it. Sound familiar?

    Did Palm Inc. buy Chatteremail or did they simply hire the developer of Chatteremail?
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

    Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    2483274973
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    Did Palm Inc. buy Chatteremail or did they simply hire the developer of Chatteremail?
    both
  9. #9  
    I have a feeling that Palm is going to use ChatterEmail's code and functionality and put it into versamail so that Palm looks like they improved versamail to a point that it is even better than ChatterEmail.

    Al
  10. #10  
    The 'improve Versamail with a Chatter code implant' strategy makes sense because VM 3.5 already has a fair amount of Exchange OTA sync capability.
  11. #11  
    I think it's more like they'll strip out most of the functionality out of Chatter to simplify it then put it in the high end devices.
  12. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I have a feeling that Palm is going to use ChatterEmail's code and functionality and put it into versamail so that Palm looks like they improved versamail to a point that it is even better than ChatterEmail.

    Al
    I agree...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I think it's more like they'll strip out most of the functionality out of Chatter to simplify it then put it in the high end devices.
    I hope that doesnt mean they cut a whole bunch of options out of chatter... Chatters config interface at first is complex, it makes sense later.. but I love to have those options still there, in some form. On a linux treo it could even be a raw config file. Just leave them somewhere!
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
  14. ambtreo's Avatar
    Posts
    476 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #14  
    Personally, I don't think Marc would agree to allowing Chatter to be scaled down in any future versions with Chatter integrated into the Palm OS. I think Palm realizes that Versamail is Versac**p and they wanted to upgrade their messaging system for the new Linux OS. Marc and Palm will integrate the OTA sync features of Versamail for Calendars, Contacts, and perhaps Notes. Other than that, you will see an upgraded, very stable version of Chatter in the next Palm/Linux OS.

    I am looking forward to that, very much.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
  15. #15  
    this is all good news - no worries mates
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  16. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #16  
    Marc seems like a sweall guy but I got to agree with zelgo.

    Money talks.

    Palm has piles of it and if they throw some around in his direction I'm sure he wasn't sitting there with the CEO demanding anything.

    "Here's X for you great product and we'll pay you Y a year for 5 years to work for us."

    "but my faithfull users I could never sell out to you boobs and let you ruin the product I developed"

    "OK add 50 grand to X and 10 grand to Y"

    "No really you guys stink and ruin anything you touch- chatter isn't for sale"

    "oh- hardball eh? Muyltiply the offer by 2"

    At that point if I was the guy I'd reply-

    "Do you have a pen?"
  17. #17  
    I have to say I find this thread very amusing. Let me simply say that the only reason I did this was for the opportunity to work with Palm on new products, not old ones.

    Marc
  18. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #18  
    I hope you were paid well for that opportunity!

    Chatter was/is a great product.

    I'm always amazed by the small time code writers on these open systems and how they just slam past the big boys.

    Chatter is a fine example- essentially one guy makes a product 100 times better then palm's versamail in one tenth the time. Tivo's another palm- they have the ability to download amazon movies to your tivo but it's missing one vital part- the ability to start the transaction from the tivo remote. You have to go to your pc- browse and pay at the amazon website and sent it to your tivo. One guy spent a weekend and made a plug in for the tivo so you can browse on your tv with the tivo remote and order.


    I amazed the big guns dont hire the star people mor often.

    You sort of guys rock! I hope "working for the man" doesn't turn your brain to mush.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    I have to say I find this thread very amusing. Let me simply say that the only reason I did this was for the opportunity to work with Palm on new products, not old ones.

    Marc
    Hmmm...this could mean several things.

    1. Chatter will not be implemented in upcoming Treos (different name)
    2. Marc is not working on an email program at Palm.
    3. Marc is not in it for the money.

    What could this new product be that he is working on?
  20. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    ...

    What could this new product be that he is working on?

    versamail 4.0


Posting Permissions