Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...bile-platform/

Now the question is what does this mean for the 700p? Now from the slides from the link above, it looks like they plan to put the "usability" of Garnet on top of the linux platform to create a more stable device. Now the thing that caught my eye. In this article:

http://www.forbes.com/technology/200..._0410palm.html

On the same press release, it mentions:
    The new operating system, Colligan said during the meeting, will allow the company to build various hardware designs that can run either the Linux system or Microsoft's (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people ) Windows Mobile. It will also speed up the development cycle to allow for more frequent product releases, and make it easier for Palm devices to run voice and data applications at the same time.
    We were all told that the 700p has the issues that we so dearly despise because of the shared platform with Windows Mobile. Being the case, I submit that the 700p should be capable of running this new linux flavor of Garnet; after all that was, according to the CEO, one of the reasons they created the linux-based OS. Now in my eyes, the only thing that could REALLY redeem Palm at this point regarding the issue of support of the 700p is if they allow us 700p users to upgrade to this new OS. I mean almost every device on the windows mobile 5 side of things is getting an upgrade to WM6, which is perhaps one of the most substantial windows mobile upgrades to date. Why shouldn't we get ours?

I really want to believe that it could happen, because why else would just one firmware update take so much testing and so much preparation by both Palm and the carriers? But realistically, I doubt it will, in which case I will snatch an iPhone this June.
    Merlyn_3D, Merlyn_3D, Merlyn_3D.

Here's the view from Ed Colligan's chair.

"You already paid me for that 700p. You want me to upgrade it for you so you don't buy the Great Linux Treo later this year? That will cost sales to Palm, Inc. Merlyn_3D, my friend, I have quarterly estimates to beat and Wall Street analysts to meet. You have a fun run with that early 700p that we took from you and the runaway thread on TC. Let's leave it at that. And buy a coupla copies of the Great Linux Treo later this year, will ya?"
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Well put. Why fix the 700p when they can get us to come back to the well? Ed Colligan won't be getting any more contributions from me.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Merlyn_3D, Merlyn_3D, Merlyn_3D.

Here's the view from Ed Colligan's chair.

"You already paid me for that 700p. You want me to upgrade it for you so you don't buy the Great Linux Treo later this year? That will cost sales to Palm, Inc. Merlyn_3D, my friend, I have quarterly estimates to beat and Wall Street analysts to meet. You have a fun run with that early 700p that we took from you and the runaway thread on TC. Let's leave it at that. And buy a coupla copies of the Great Linux Treo later this year, will ya?"
    Let's just say if they want me back, they better give me a damn good reason to come back (support-wise). Releasing such an update would be that reason. Anything else, and I will still stick to my resolve to never buy another Palm device again after this 700p.

And it should go more like: "...you want me to upgrade it for you so you won't file a class action lawsuit and generate even more bad publicity for my dying company..."
    I don't know. I will wait until the Palm/Linux OS is out on a new Treo and it is stated that it will not be offered to Treo 700P owners as an OS upgrade before I get mad about it.

If the new OS will run on the 700P hardware . . . . why wouldn't they offer it?

However, I would be willing to pay $25 for the upgrade. . . . .(when was the last time Microsoft or Apple offered a free OS upgrade to all PC users?)

(Runs and hides.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/10/2007 at 10:05 PM.
    IPhone, here I come.
    Merlyn will you still forget Palm if they never release the 700p firmware?

Me personally...I aint no abused girlfriend. I know where the line is.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    by the time they really release new OS, 700p will be outdated forgoten junk, and they will never give us free OS ugrade for existing devices - there are so many people eager to spend 600$+ on a new toy- why spoil the celebration ?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Guys, at this point it's not even a certainty that the 700p ROM Update is coming. On top of that, we have no idea how many of the issues will be resolved by this update.

The possibility that Palm would offer ANY upgrade possibilities for 700p owners is essentially zero. Palm won't sell upgraded versions of Blazer & VersaMail to owners of older devices...or offer a ROM updater to update the bundled apps like DTG. They have no offered a genuine OS upgrade since the OS 4.1 upgrade CD of 2001/2001 for OS 3 & 4 handhelds. I have zero reason to think they are going to change their stance on the matter.

It's a PERFECT business model for the carriers & for Palm (who are likely getting kickbacks the whole time and/or from their alternating exclusives with Sprint & Verizon)---First, get the customer to buy a pricey 700p w/ a two-year contract in '06.

THEN release a ROM update after the first batch of 700ps have expired one-year warranties so if a few unit gets borked by the ROM update process the blame rests entirely on the user.

THEN release a hot new handset running Palm OS on Linux when that customer is just a year into that 2 year contract. So the carrier gets the benefit of the customer paying full retail to upgrade their device.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Merlyn will you still forget Palm if they never release the 700p firmware?

Me personally...I aint no abused girlfriend. I know where the line is.
    I will not buy another palm device again given what I said earlier. There are other options out there, like blackberry, or most importantly the iPhone.
    The upcoming BB 8830 (dual mode CDMA/GSM) is going to be mighty, mighty tempting. Right now I have a Sprint account with a 700wx and a T-Mobile account with a 750. I could ditch the T-Mo account and still be able to roam internationally (albeit with a pathetic roaming partner in the form of Sprint).
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I don't know. I will wait until the Palm/Linux OS is out on a new Treo and it is stated that it will not be offered to Treo 700P owners as an OS upgrade before I get mad about it.

If the new OS will run on the 700P hardware . . . . why wouldn't they offer it?

However, I would be willing to pay $25 for the upgrade. . . . .(when was the last time Microsoft or Apple offered a free OS upgrade to all PC users?)

(Runs and hides.)
    Apple gave me a free upgrade to tiger because I bought my computer like 5 months before OS Xtiger came out... On my old PC I also got a free upgrade to vista...

But ill pay $25 for the upgrade, but I really think it should be free since we have not been able to use the features as advertised.
    For me, I'm sucker...I always upgrade my Treo's. I always tweek them to work(if Palm can't do it, I have to)just the way I want them....perfect
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    I will not buy another palm device again given what I said earlier. There are other options out there, like blackberry, or most importantly the iPhone.
    Off topic, but honestly, I'd be willing to bet most people who switch to the iPhone will be back almost immediately, upon realizing how difficult it is to use an entirely touchscreen device as a phone. Without tactile sensation, typing will be very difficult as well (for proof, check out the reviews of the laser keyboard for Treos). Besides that, all of a sudden you're locked into the apps the carrier wants you to have, instead of the freedom you have with a Treo. I bet a lot of people will be disappointed in the iPhone.

Anyway, to get back on topic, here's hoping this is the saving grace that many of us (myself included) are hoping it'll be.

Also, like others have said in other threads, I hope that Palm releases the SDK and some type of simulator in the next few months or so. If devices will be out by the end of the year, you'd think they would.
    The one major problem I see with the iphone is AT&T/Cingular. I've been there and done that and I'm not looking back.
    Reality is..if there was a ROM update they could release that would fix the complaints, they would've.

You have to accept that some things are not perfect and move on. Most Treo users are happy. The few who aren't will probably complain and keep complaining. If you can't live with the device, then get something else. But its my guess you won't be happy with many alternatives either.

The 700p did cost a cool 400 for me, but its worth it (to me). Can tether, email, take pics/video, play games, record calls/voice, view/edit office apps, listen to music, watch tv, browse internet, get info in a pinch, control my home pc if necessary, organizes passwords, tracks financial info, can IM (if needed), can display maps, etc. etc..etc.

An amazing device actually if you stop and think about it. A little lag or BT problems is tolerable. So you have trouble wearing that goofy BT headset and remaining connected. I'm as nerdy as the next guy but i still haven't felt much of a need to do that.

Buy the Iphone if you want. Heck, if it did all that the Treo can do, i'd buy it too. It won't. It's a music/video viewing phone first aimed at young ones that will be very limited.

When Palm releases the next big thing, i will take a serious look and evaluate whether its worth the upgrade. The 700p had EVDO which alone made it worthwhile. The 650 had the upgraded screen which was worth the upgrade.

The 755p or whatever the next big upgrade is will need that feature i simply have to have. If it doesn't, i'll wait and remain happy with the 700p.

Am i happy that no updates have come our way for the 700p? No. But i'm not willing to sit and bash a company i've been a fan of and pretty loyal to either.

I wish TC would sticky a complaint thread...and be done with it. I'm tired of reading the same thing over and over.
    Ditto, Cardfan. You just said everything for me. Does this make anyone who has called the Palm/Linux platform a fantasy or criticized Palm for not developing anything creatively have a second thought? Like the poster yesterday who called the Linux implementation "the Great Pumpkin"? The 700P has been a fine experience for me. Through retention and with rebates it cost me $199. I have no lag, and I don't even have a problem with BT, using the Palm headset intermittently. The ONLY problem I have is skipping of pTunes, which is irritating, but given that I can now watch 300+ cable channels on my phone, I can deal with that. Stop and think about what the phone can do. Whether the issues relate to inconsistent hardware or the use of bad third party apps, most of us really like what we're using.
    Last edited by davidra; 04/11/2007 at 05:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Buy the Iphone if you want. Heck, if it did all that the Treo can do, i'd buy it too. It won't. It's a music/video viewing phone first aimed at young ones that will be very limited.
    Are people already forgetting that IPhone is running OSX? Albeit, a lighter version, but still the core. And people are worried about inability to add applications as they wish. Well, isn't that the problem with the Treo now? You can install all this software on it, and most of it is written pretty badly. There are some good apps, but generally most apps out there compromise the stability of the device, not to mention the device is already crappy. So Apple wants to keep the software development for the IPhone limited. That is good. That means that owners will have a rock solid device that will WORK as advertised, AS ADVERTISED!!! Not cripped Bluetooth. Not WIFI-less. Not crashing during phone calls. Not crappy email software. Those of you who already are bashing the IPhone, maybe should watch the keynote on Apple's website. Steve Jobs demoed the IPhone and used all the functions that are advertised for the IPhone. If you notice, he had ZERO issues. Now that is 6 months before release. Not day one of release, and BOOM, crashes, Bluetooth crippled, lag, crap email software causing delays, etc. EVERYTHING WORKED. And nicely.

Anyway, 700P is my last device, and I will NEVER look at Palm again. Even if core become Linux, Palm will f*ck it up, and you will end up with a crap device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    So Apple wants to keep the software development for the IPhone limited. That is good. That means that owners will have a rock solid device that will WORK as advertised, AS ADVERTISED!!! Not cripped Bluetooth. Not WIFI-less. Not crashing during phone calls. Not crappy email software.
    You really don't know any of this. You are just assuming.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    Are people already forgetting that IPhone is running OSX? Albeit, a lighter version, but still the core. And people are worried about inability to add applications as they wish. Well, isn't that the problem with the Treo now? You can install all this software on it, and most of it is written pretty badly. There are some good apps, but generally most apps out there compromise the stability of the device, not to mention the device is already crappy. So Apple wants to keep the software development for the IPhone limited. That is good. That means that owners will have a rock solid device that will WORK as advertised, AS ADVERTISED!!! Not cripped Bluetooth. Not WIFI-less. Not crashing during phone calls. Not crappy email software. Those of you who already are bashing the IPhone, maybe should watch the keynote on Apple's website. Steve Jobs demoed the IPhone and used all the functions that are advertised for the IPhone. If you notice, he had ZERO issues. Now that is 6 months before release. Not day one of release, and BOOM, crashes, Bluetooth crippled, lag, crap email software causing delays, etc. EVERYTHING WORKED. And nicely.

Anyway, 700P is my last device, and I will NEVER look at Palm again. Even if core become Linux, Palm will f*ck it up, and you will end up with a crap device.

Hi Fafafoooey!!

WOW. A little edgy today?

May I say that not everyone has experienced the issues you have had with the 700P? My Bluetooth works. My EMail works. My connection to my work main frame works. My Phone has never crashed on a call. My RealPlayer works. I find it a wonderful PDA/Cell Phone.

I have had the occassional lag.

There was a poll here on TC awhile ago with a 75% satisfaction rating on the 700P . . . . . and that is on a user base subset skewed towards people looking for answers to issues they are having. I wonder what a poll of 100% of Treo 700P purchasers would show?

I am not discounting that individuals have had specific issues. . . . but let's lighten up on the 700P is a useless pile of dung rehtoric around here.

It is getting sooooooooo tiring.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/11/2007 at 09:16 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast