Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    For me, I'm sucker...I always upgrade my Treo's. I always tweek them to work(if Palm can't do it, I have to)just the way I want them....perfect
    Well, that's pretty much me too

I'm a 680 owner. I was really disappointed that I didn't have the option for a 700p (a GSM gal), but it sounds to me like it's been quite a problem for some of you. When the 680 came out a lot of people were bemoaning that it really wasn't an "upgrade", but I have to tell you, it's probably the best Treo I've had to date, and I've had a 90, 270, 600, 650, and now the 680. I don't mean to get TOO off-topic here, but are the 700p models REALLY that bad? Is it really that the "hardware" was created to try to support both Palm and WM5 that has caused the trouble, do you think?

Being a long-time Linux user at the desktop/server, I hope I'm not being too optimistic about the ramifications of this announcement - but I've found that if the hardware is "optimized" for Linux (PC or Server), it seems to run Windows quite well too (not the other way around most times!). So maybe it's true that Linux as the underlying OS will help to solve some of the "cross-platform" hardware issues that Palm is trying to deal with.

Danita
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I don't know. I will wait until the Palm/Linux OS is out on a new Treo and it is stated that it will not be offered to Treo 700P owners as an OS upgrade before I get mad about it.

If the new OS will run on the 700P hardware . . . . why wouldn't they offer it?

However, I would be willing to pay $25 for the upgrade. . . . .(when was the last time Microsoft or Apple offered a free OS upgrade to all PC users?)

(Runs and hides.)
    Who are you and what have you done with Perry??! The Perry I know believes in things that are wholly possible. But to even consider an upgrade the 700P with the Linux thing... c'mon?!!!

As for Microsoft and free operating systems, Microsoft has offered the upgrade to WM6 for free to manufacturers. It will be entirely up to carriers/manufacturers then to ship it out should they feel like it. Palm is doing it for the 750, but not for the 700wx. bastids!!
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    This article just came up on Slashdot

I found this comment interesting:

Translation: "We're going to spend yet another year on yet another wild goose chase, so if you were hoping for a new PDA, or even an update to one of our old models, keep hoping."

Their current models are already two years old. That's an eternity in the gadget market. And they weren't exactly cutting edge when they were new.

Talk about taking your customers for granted!
    Personally I am very excited about this news...having a Linux core should really open up a bunch of interesting possibilities for the Treo line. Not only that, but I am encouraged by the fact that they have even stressed that they want to work with the development community to keep compatibility with Garnet.

Good things ahead for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Who are you and what have you done with Perry??! The Perry I know believes in things that are wholly possible. But to even consider an upgrade the 700P with the Linux thing... c'mon?!!!

As for Microsoft and free operating systems, Microsoft has offered the upgrade to WM6 for free to manufacturers. It will be entirely up to carriers/manufacturers then to ship it out should they feel like it. Palm is doing it for the 750, but not for the 700wx. bastids!!

LOL

Hey G!

My point was about setting up a scenario on how Palm is going to shaft us in the future and then being mad about. . . . . . that 's like me saying TC is going to drop the Palm OS forum in the future and I am so p*ssed about it I could spit nails! Can we please keep what we are mad about to current events?

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry, is this really you??? G might be right. I don't think I've ever seen the real Perry quote a virtual curse word!
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Perry, is this really you??? G might be right. I don't think I've ever seen the real Perry quote a virtual curse word!
    Yes, I may need another stint in the PPR. . . . . sometimes a heavy sigh after reading certain posts is just not enough to restore my patience.

I'm good now.

Hi Guys:

New to the 700p and a returning customer to Sprint. I just had to register to show my solidarity with the "vocal" miniority regarding the 700p. I have very few apps loaded beyond what came with the 700p and for the first week I thought I was going to luck out and be immune to the problems others have mentioned. One of the nice features I had with my previous Nokia Smartphone 6600 was the BT link that worked with my vehicle; it worked and worked flawlessly. When I paired the 700p to my vehicle, it worked right the first time, without issue. Seemingly for days it worked perfectly...and then....this last Sunday when I went to use the phone...chaos..while the phone was connected, everytime it went to connect, it would dial the number from Homelink and then the call would revert to the 700p, not good. It took a soft reset to fix this; frankly that is a flaw and since it never happened with my 6600, the problem would seem to point to the 700p. It does seem to me that PALM implemented a buggy version of BT, and only a week into it, I have seen its full wrath LOL.
    I was looking so forward to buying a new BT headset since my Jabra 250 is such a piece of crap; but I have decided to hold off; don't really feel like paying
    yet another $200 to $300 for something that will not work right ((yeah I have 2 700p's).

I have had my 700p reset itself a few times through no doing of my own.

I bought a PALM device because I wanted to believe there was something out there better than a Windows device; I did my research and read as many reviews of people that I would deem experts compared to me.

It's now been 2 weeks; the 700p has not been too bad; it now serves as a PAM device for internet backup; I use Linux so it pretty much does something no Windows device can do, YEAH! I sync it with Evolution, those who use Linux know what that is. I use it for text mesaging and I use it for email..honestly, once I figured out how to properly configure Versamail it has been great, no complaints at all.

I came from a Windows device (PDA not phone) and I was somewhat used to the way multitasking works on it, but as with all things I have figured out how to move around on the 700p without too much issue. I do have a trial version of Zlanuncher installed and it does a pretty nice job of simulating a task manager.

It has taken some time getting used to the Blazer browser, I of course had to try Xiino and Opera. I was unimpressed with etiher. Anytime I have to load JAVA I get queezy and this time was no exception..all and all once I gave Blazer a chance, it works well enough for the limited web stuff I do.

Did I mention I can tether? That is a really cool feature and thanks to a USB Linux modem device driver, I can use it with Linux instead of Windoze.

I have a dedicated Iriver player for MP3 and knowing my clumsy self I can see destroying my palm in a day trying to excercise and keep track of it too I have checked out the media player and it seems OK, but haven't done much else with it.

I am not a power user yet on this device, but I could see very easily using it more than I ever did any other device in the past.

I am in my 30 day trial evaluation period and I still have time to return the phones for something else. I want to believe that PALM is going to make good on their promise to provide a fix to some of the more bothersome issues. In all of the reading I have done, I can certainly see how long time Palm users would be upset about the 700p. It seems to me that a lot of the 3rd party apps can cause OS instability issues; I am no expert, but since they built this hardware on an Intel platform for cross-compatability with Windows, I would expect that's where you are seeing a lag when multitasking. I see a slight delay, but again I am trying to be very selective about what I put on the device as to not introduce that instability others have mentioned. It stinks too, cause I am definitely someone that likes to "experiment".

Well, I am done rambling now; but as a new user I thought it was important to view my opinions on a few things; one last thing I should mention, when all is said and done my net cost before taxes for the 700p will be $250.00; I have to look at that price point and compare the value and features I get for the price, it helps me feel better about my decision. With that said, I would not have paid over $300 for this device regardless of how good it was; so for anyone that did pay full price and has major issues, you have my sympathy and my hopes that PALM will make good on their promise to put out a fix. Iif they do not make good on a patch as they promised in writing, this will be my last device from them; I cannot tolerate dishonesty. I think someone else said it best, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me

Thanks for listening

-Dan
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    Personally I am very excited about this news...having a Linux core should really open up a bunch of interesting possibilities for the Treo line. Not only that, but I am encouraged by the fact that they have even stressed that they want to work with the development community to keep compatibility with Garnet.

Good things ahead for Palm.
    It scares me they are aiming to keep compatibility with Garnet. They better really up the processing power and ram if they are going to run some sort of emulator. They are also going to need a small army of programmers to write this and debug it. If Garnet has these many problems, how many will a version of Linux + Garnet have? It sounds like a great idea. I'll wait until after the first ROM patch to buy it.
    I'll wait until after the first ROM patch to buy it.>>

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    It scares me they are aiming to keep compatibility with Garnet. They better really up the processing power and ram if they are going to run some sort of emulator. They are also going to need a small army of programmers to write this and debug it. If Garnet has these many problems, how many will a version of Linux + Garnet have? It sounds like a great idea. I'll wait until after the first ROM patch to buy it.
    It's not emulation, it's virtualization. Similar to the way Apple supported classic apps in OS X.

The Linux OS will probably give Garnet it's own chunk of protected memory, so if one of your Garnet apps crash, they all will, but your phone won't reset.

Hopefully we will see Palm develop a method for current Palm developers to port their Garnet apps to the new platform with ease.
    Exactly. The beauty of Linux in a phone will open up the Treo to a huge new world of power and stability. What do you think the Treo model will be, the 800?
    Frankly, if the next Palm OS device has multitasking I couldn't be happier. I'm on a 680 at the moment (also a GSMer) and despite being a major Mac head, I don't think I'll be jumping on the iPhone bandwagon just yet.

I've got a smartphone that has 8GB flash storage (like the iPhone), I can sync my mac to it from iPhoto, iTunes, iCal etc, I can run TomTom on it as well as a host of other 3rd party apps that I might want. What more do I want??

Maybe wi-fi might be nice but I can use bluetooth to wirelessly connect to the web when near my mac (thanks to Missing Sync).

So far I'm a pretty happy chappy. Wouldn't go to a WinMobile device for quids.

Greg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12