Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Is Yanoff still the only real NNTP reader out there? I tried it years ago, but didn't have a lot of free space <g> - now that I have a 680, I have LOADS of room, and I do online support via NNTP and decided to look again.

Yanoff is not "bad" at this point, but does have some odd quirks. I'm on day 2 of my 15 day trial, and before I say "this is it" I'm just wondering if there is anything else "better" out there that I can't readily find!

Thanks.

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I did just find Resco-Neeews as well - www.resco.net - I'll see how it compares!

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz View Post
    I did just find Resco-Neeews as well - www.resco.net - I'll see how it compares!

Danita
    Hmmm - while they call it a "news reader" - they really mean an RSS reader from what I can tell!

Danita
    Resco is a RSS reader, not a news reader.
    I wonder though why many usenet/newsgroups havent moved to RSS. Seems like that would be smarter in this day where email can be overwhelming.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    I wonder though why many usenet/newsgroups havent moved to RSS. Seems like that would be smarter in this day where email can be overwhelming.
    I can't see how newgroups can really "work" that well with RSS, but maybe I just don't understand the functionality of RSS that well

I post between 50-100 messages a week as a support volunteer on the Novell support newgroups, so I'm just happy to have NNTP on my Palm now that I have enough memory to support the volume. I haven't found anything else out there looking today, and while Yanoff has some interesting "quirks", it is actually not bad at all!

Danita
    Yanoff is not "bad" at this point, but does have some odd quirks. I'm on day 2 of my 15 day trial, and before I say "this is it" I'm just wondering if there is anything else "better" out there that I can't readily find!
    Hi Danita,

There's nothing better out there, IMO -- nothing even close (maybe nothing at all :-) . The great thing about the new Yanoff is that it's very configurable, so while it has its quirks, chances are very good that you can set it up so that it's very efficient for the way you work. The key to the configurability is all the various button actions you can assign to each screen (group list, article list, and body), so make sure you take a close look at the button configuration screen.

Marc
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfield View Post
    The key to the configurability is all the various button actions you can assign to each screen
    Yep - it's very flexible. I guess right now my biggest "wishes" are:

1. The newgroup list shows how many messages are in each group, but doesn't indicate if there are any "new" messages. Because I'll be using this for support newsgroups, I can't just delete everything I've already read - I need to keep at least a couple of days of history so I can go back to look at the issues more closely at times. Not being able to tell which groups has new messages is a slight annoyance.

2. Relative to #1, I have a button in the message list to go to the "next newsgroup 1st unread message" - it would be nice if this could skip to the "next newgroup with an unread message" so I can avoid landing on groups with nothing new.

3. I would prefer on the message itself to be able to see the subject, sender and date all at once. Instead I have to click the "header" box quite a bit.

4. I can't see a way to download the "parent" of a particular message. Even this would solve a lot with #1 above. I could technically delete all of the messages after I read them, and then if I needed to go back and look at something I could just "fetch parent" and be done with it.

Now, can you imagine that these are the only real problems I see in a PALM nntp application <g>? I mean, I've used PC applications like XanaNews, Virtual Access, and for the past few years on Linux Gemini - these are all highly polished NNTP readers that are optimized for very heavy NNTP users. So I'd have to say that if Yanoff+ can't make me complain about even a handful of functions then it's pretty darned good

I'm not giving up doing support on my PC any time soon <g> - but just like having a good email client, and a good ssh client, and a good telnet client, and a VNC client, etc., etc., having the option to do this on my phone makes my business just that much easier to take care of when I'm "on the road". And I don't have to resort to that WM stuff <heehee>.

Danita
    I can't just delete everything I've already read - I need to keep at least a couple of days of history so I can go back to look at the issues more closely at times.
    One thought here (and for #4) is to "lock" the important messages in each thread (which will prevent them from being deleted) and then unlock them when you no longer need them.

Now, can you imagine that these are the only real problems I see in a PALM nntp application <g>? I mean, I've used PC applications like XanaNews, Virtual Access, and for the past few years on Linux Gemini - these are all highly polished NNTP readers that are optimized for very heavy NNTP users. So I'd have to say that if Yanoff+ can't make me complain about even a handful of functions then it's pretty darned good
    Exactly! I actually use Yanoff for 99% of my usenet reading. I usually use Pan on the desktop but will have to check out Gemini (hadn't heard of it until your post).

I'm not giving up doing support on my PC any time soon <g> - but just like having a good email client, and a good ssh client, and a good telnet client, and a VNC client,
    For ssh, check out the Treo optimized version of pssh: http://www.nekito.net/~sachs/palm/

Marc
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfield View Post
    One thought here (and for #4) is to "lock" the important messages in each thread (which will prevent them from being deleted) and then unlock them when you no longer need them.

Exactly! I actually use Yanoff for 99% of my usenet reading. I usually use Pan on the desktop but will have to check out Gemini (hadn't heard of it until your post).
    Yeah - I'm just having to come up with some "new ideas" on how to do some routine actions that I know how to do one place, and need to duplicate as best I can in another place.

As for Gemini - it is also very powerful, but not free. Because I answer anywhere from 50-100 messages a week "in my spare time" I need a reader that is very efficient and can keep me on track.

Thanks for your comments!

Danita
    Is Yanoff still the only real NNTP reader out there? I tried it years ago, but didn't have a lot of free space <g> - now that I have a 680, I have LOADS of room, and I do online support via NNTP and decided to look again.

Thanks.

Danita
    There's an excellent nntp newsreader that's very easy to use and very configureable called nntPocket. I have the most recent beta version. It lets you save messages on the SD card. Unfortunately, I believe the author has withdrawn it. Maybe if there's enough demand it will return. You can google nntpocket...
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad