1.    #1  
    Hello, all. I recently took a stab at replacing my case on my 650, and when the re-assembly time came, I noticed what at first looked like a chunk of plastic from the old case, but soon figured out that it was a surface mount capacitor. Marvelous.

The SM Cap is one of two, on the main board, keypad side, to the left of the microphone connector circles. It is brown, with solder pads on either side.

The construction looks like each side of the cap was dipped in solder, then attached to the board. One of the sides, the one ripped off the board I am thinking, is devoid of solder on one side's edges, while the other edges have solder.

So, I am thinking:

A) I am screwed. Game over.

B) place SM Cap back on board, in orientation that it was originally there, and heat the sides and hope the solder takes. (Maybe with a patch of electrical tape to help)

C) Same as above, but on edge with solder still attached.

D) Take it to Sprint Service store, play dumb, and see if they can fix it.

I can hit the lower side easily enough with more solder and a solder pen, but the top side has another SM device, and I am wary of creating a short.

There is another alternative, in that the cap goes to a rarely used feature, and therefore it would be fine to just keep it off.

What say ye?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Go ahead and solder it back on. It will be easier than you think. There should be enough solder on the cap and the board to reflow the joints.
  3.    #3  
    Well, I took a stab at it. I upgraded to a better soldering iron, and it took a few tries. But I got a good connection, not pretty, but solid. After re-assembly in the new case, it was a treat to see the Palm logo come up.

It seems to be working fine, but no chance to try charging it yet. That will come tonight, but I think all is well.

Thanks for the confidence boost, Widdy.
    A lot of times, unless they're in the charging circuit, caps are often for EMI and not that big a deal in real usage if they're missing, but glad you got it back on and didn't hose anything doing it.

BTW, what happens is (similar to tshirts) solder paste is screen printed onto the clean board onto the spots which are to receive parts. A machine then places all the small parts on the board. Larger parts are usually placed by a specialized machine separate from the "little parts" machine. Once everything is in place, the board is ran through an oven which causes the solder paste to melt and turn into liquid solder, which then flows and wicks its way up onto componants. Pretty reliable, sometimes a little problem here or there. If it's a two sided board, the side with no heavy componants is done first, then flipped, and done again.