Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    well ditch the cing/ att rom and put the unlocked/ unbranded rom on the baby! lol
    Do you know that this works or are you just throwing out a red herring?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviceNode View Post
    ...I'm beginning to wonder if these anecdotal reports of MMS working in the unlocked-Treo-680-on-T-Mobile are nothing more than misunderstandings, myths, or hoaxes.
    I think MMS works on my unlocked 680 on TMO, but I really am not sure because it doesn't seem to be anything I need, but how would I know? If you tell me, I'll check it and see if it works.

Actually I just sent one and it looks like it works perfectly, though I can't tell for sure until the recipient tells me.

I usually (always) send attachments by email, not MMS, to phones I want to send such things to. It's free and, I believe, faster and more reliable.
    MMS has definitely been working on my unlocked 680 on TMO, ever since I got it in December 2006.
    Christie, I remember you from the other thread. For the life of me I can't figure out why it works for you and not for me. When I say MMS, I mean you go into messaging, start a message for a phone number, and then add a photo with the 680's camera.

Doing this, I can send MMS to another T-Mobile user, but I can't receive a similar photo-message from my other T-Mobile phone (RAZR) from its camera. We used to send camera pictures between the two RAZRs quite a bit. Since I transferred my SIM to the 680, I can't receive from the RAZR.

When I try to send or receive to someone on another network (ATT), it never gets there. Actually, looking back over my notes, it eventually got OUT to another user but it took 6 hours(!!).

Is there a way we can all compare Firmware versions? Maybe "paulntra" is correct and it's a particular firmware idiosyncrasy. Maybe we'll see a pattern with firmware versions and people getting MMS working/not working.

Someone please post the instructions for reading one's 680 firmware rev. and then let's all post ours here with a note of whether MMS works or doesn't work, to or from an off-T-Mobile recipient or sender.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I think MMS works on my unlocked 680 on TMO, but I really am not sure because it doesn't seem to be anything I need, but how would I know? If you tell me, I'll check it and see if it works.

Actually I just sent one and it looks like it works perfectly, though I can't tell for sure until the recipient tells me.

I usually (always) send attachments by email, not MMS, to phones I want to send such things to. It's free and, I believe, faster and more reliable.
    Did you send a camera snapshot from your phone? (See my previous post to ChristieC for the process). Tell me if your recipient got it, and how long it took to get there. Also, have them send a photo from their phone and see if you get it, and how long it took.

So you send by Email usuallly? How do you Email a photo message to someone's phone that has MMS but not Email?
    I limit my circle of friends and acquaintances to only those who are fully equipped and converged, so I never have that problem. I do send emails to other people's phone numbers, but I think you're right, I probably don't send them pics. But they are not in my circle. On the other hand, if people just have phones but no email, can they receive MMS? I would think not all cell users have MMS service, but maybe I'm wrong.

And yes, the photo was received within minutes. To another TMO subscriber, if that's important. I guess it's a crapshoot. If the others are on ATT or whatever, it's possible they can't get MMS anyway, but if they have email (with attachments) they will certainly get my photos.
    Again - I can get MMS messages, but they come through as a thumbnail - never full size. I am told this is a T-Mo problem, and verified that by putting a Cingular sim card in my 680 & voila! Full-sized MMS pictures! T-Mo better get with the program!
    And yes, the photo was received within minutes. To another TMO subscriber, if that's important. I guess it's a crapshoot. If the others are on ATT or whatever, it's possible they can't get MMS anyway, but if they have email (with attachments) they will certainly get my photos.
    We've established that this works. The trick is actually RECEIVING an MMS message from another T-Mobile user onto your 680. And then the REAL trick is sending OR receiving MMS messages with off-T-Mo users (like ATT).

And please don't confuse the issue. I'm not trying to send MMS to people who do not have MMS-capable phones. I'm talking about sending to and receiving from people with MMS-capable phones (usually equipped with cameras).

Here is the matrix of functions and my results. I encourage others to try all four combinations and post their results.

1. Send from T-Mo 680 to another T-Mo user. (WORKS for me to RAZR).
    2. Receive on T-Mo 680 from another T-Mo user (doesn't work for me from a T-Mo RAZR).
    3. Send from T-Mo 680 to a user on a different network (worked, kinda, to ATT but after 6-hour delay).
    4. Receive on T-Mo 680 from a user on a different network (didn't work for me from an ATT user).

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC
    Again - I can get MMS messages, but they come through as a thumbnail - never full size. I am told this is a T-Mo problem, and verified that by putting a Cingular sim card in my 680 & voila! Full-sized MMS pictures! T-Mo better get with the program!
    I talked to a level-2 T-Mo CSR about this and she claimed the 680 has a "different protocol" for MMS than their other supported phones and that they don't plan to support it. Sounds plausible but she could have just been making it up...
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Do you know that this works or are you just throwing out a red herring?
    well the unbranded/ unlocked treo's direct from Palm work, i have one and I can send MMS all I want/ do. So I dont see why changing the software on the Treo wouldn't work. Its the same hardware.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Apparently the issue is not sending but receiving MMS on 680.
    Thanks DeviceNode! I will also follow up to see why this is so. It's very frustrating - that's for sure!
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    i can recieve fine on my unbranded treo 680.

its possible to put an unbranded rom onto a branded treo, right? i dont see why not now...
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    How do we read out our ROM (/Firmware) version?? Is there any system software that would affect phone or messaging? -- we should note that version number, too!
    Hey i am planning to buy an unlocked treo 680 or the 750.. i recently have a sidekick 3 with the sidekick unlimited plan ( internet, text, and Aim) but i am just wondering if the internet and Aim will work on the treo with my tmobile Sim card..
    How do we read out our ROM (/Firmware) version?? Is there any system software that would affect phone or messaging? -- we should note that version number, too!
    It's all in phone info, menu from the phone screen.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cumcurboyjae View Post
    Hey i am planning to buy an unlocked treo 680 or the 750.. i recently have a sidekick 3 with the sidekick unlimited plan ( internet, text, and Aim) but i am just wondering if the internet and Aim will work on the treo with my tmobile Sim card..
    phone will work, txting will work... not sure about the SK data plan though. You MAY need to switch it to a the Blackberry data connection plan from T-Mobile.
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Thanks for all of the help. With your recommendations on how to change preferences am now able to send/receive SMS.
    RE: Software versions -- ROM/Firmware, Phone, Messaging

It's all in phone info, menu from the phone screen.
    But where on the list? There are about a million programs and drivers, most with completely cryptic names.

The PalmOS Garnet version (v5.4.9 on mine) is not the firmware AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$ $is$ $the$ $system$ $software$. $Or$ $is$ $this$ $what$ $you$ $guys$ $are$ $calling$ $the$ $firmware$? $Does$ $it$ $also$ $comprise$ $the$ $phone$-$controlling$ $software$? $The$ $message$-$protocol$ $software$? $Is$ $it$ $all$ $buried$ $in$ $the$ $O$.$S$.? $Somehow$ $I$ $didn$'$t$ $think$ $so$.
    Apparently the issue is not sending but receiving MMS on 680.
    I cna send MMS but can not receive.
    I tried this yesterday and apparently I cannot receive MMS either.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast