1.    #1  
    I like the new Avantgo 4.0 wireless feature, but after playing with it for awhile, I notice what I think is a disturbing limitation: you can add favorites to the My Wireless Channels section ONLY if these favorites come from the "edit my wireless channels" listing. This list is, of course, limited, and I guess it includes Avantgo's main partners.

The only way to get to other favorite wireless channels while surfing wirelessly is to browse or search for them (while connected), then load them. Going through these motions every time one fires up a wireless connection will eat up minutes fast.

Am I missing something or is this a feature we'll have to live with?

Thanks,

/Steelkilt
    Do you remember before 4.0, there was a category of channels called "Wireless". These are your options for the "My Wireless" feature. At least they were in the beta version.

Ron
  3.    #3  
    Ron,

Right, I think the "My wireless channels" list is a subset of all avantgo channels. In order to get to the New York Times latest news wirelessly, for instance, I need to browse/search for it each time I connect wirelessly. There does not appear to be a way to add the NYT to "My wireless channels" since it does not appear in the "edit my wireless channels" checkbox listing.

It would be nice if I could add ANY avantgo channel to "My wireless channels." It appears that all avantgo channels are available wirelessly, so there shouldn't be much of a problem, in terms of software execution, to provide the whole list in "edit my wireless channels." Unless, of course, Avantgo's business relationships with premium-type partners are what determine what we're able to add to "my wireless channels."

/Steelkilt
    The New York Times is under the "News/Media" category. That is why it's not available to you under "My Wireless". The old "Wireless" category consisted of more PQA style channels such as MapBlast Wireless, InfoSpace Movies, Hollywood.com, etc.

When I did the useability test for this version, I said the exact same thing to them as you did; that it would be nice to have all channels available for "My Wireless". They just looked sheepishly at each other and told me that only channels from the old "Wireless" category were available for "My Wireless". Oh well.

Ron
    Keep in mind that the available wireless channels are most likely optimized much like PQA's are. I would guess that in the future, they'll offer wireless channel settings.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by steelkilt
    ... In order to get to the New York Times latest news wirelessly, for instance, I need to browse/search for it each time I connect wirelessly. There does not appear to be a way to add the NYT to "My wireless channels" since it does not appear in the "edit my wireless channels" checkbox listing.

It would be nice if I could add ANY avantgo channel to "My wireless channels." It appears that all avantgo channels are available wirelessly, so there shouldn't be much of a problem, in terms of software execution, to provide the whole list in "edit my wireless channels." Unless, of course, Avantgo's business relationships with premium-type partners are what determine what we're able to add to "my wireless channels."

/Steelkilt
    If "My Wireless" is just a bunch of bookmarks, which is what it sounds like, couldn't you just create a custom channel pointing to www.plinkit.com , set depth to 0, set size to some suitably small number, and then you would have a set of bookmarks to many of the more popular Avantgo channels. Failing that, you could custom code a web page to include your favorite links and stuff, post it on a free website, and point a custom Avantgo channel at it.
    Last edited by dvIceT; 04/16/2001 at 10:52 PM.
    Just wondering Why can't I use the My Wireless feature of Avantgo 4 with a wireline modem? Is the software that smart to detect that I am not using a wireless connection? I have tried using the feature via my wireline modem without success.