Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've looked and looked but was unable to find a thread about this here.

What are known ways to make the unit reset itself while it's on (without taking out the battery )? List any known ways of doing it, please. I'm sure many will benefit from reading the experiences.
    The Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #100 - "Never begin a business negotiation on an empty stomach."

Take over my T-Mobile 12 month Contract - 12 months left, $39.99, free phones, and $40 credit

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=136424
    huh?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Zlauncher provides a "soft reset" option.
    There are a number of 3rd-party apps that will allow you to do a deliberate soft reset (they only work if your Treo isn't frozen, of course). There's an app called SoftReset, and Launcher X (and I'm sure most of the other launchers) has a function to do this, as does LightwavPro 2.2. I'm sure there are many others.
    The pop-up launchers, Hi-Launcher and Launch Anywhere, have options to add a soft reset to the menus.

I can't think of any ways to get a soft reset other than a 3rd party app that gives you the option. Other than software conflicts or bugs of course. For example, using FindHack in the Phone application on a 680 causes a reset. The developer is aware of the bug. I'm sure there are others like this.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    You can install Bigclock, and then hit the menu key. That is a bug with the 680 that works nicely if you want to reset.
    Most 3rd party launchers have this option.
    Mike
    mreset...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Just turn it on and wait a while.
  10.    #10  
    I'm sorry - I was not specific enough with my post.

With the Treo the way it is with no 3rd party apps, what are some ways to purposefully make it crash when it actually shouldn't?
    The Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #100 - "Never begin a business negotiation on an empty stomach."

Take over my T-Mobile 12 month Contract - 12 months left, $39.99, free phones, and $40 credit

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=136424
    that seems like a slightly unusual request - any reason why you want to do this or know this?. Not sure I know of any ways, apart from mdavis' recommendation, but you may have to wait a while? You could try immersing it in water.
    Mine's quite stable, even with 3rd party apps present. I can't think of any way to actually make it reset.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Why do you want your Treo to reset? To clear the cache?

A must-have program, Uninstall Manager, also has the option to soft reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbd View Post
    Mine's quite stable, even with 3rd party apps present. I can't think of any way to actually make it reset.

Bob
    Mine's stable too, but I have several third party apps that, if the right (wrong?) steps are followed, will almost consistently cause a reset. As only one example, Hourly X Cast will normally cause a reset if I change the location AND the radar site at the same time, and sometimes even at different times.

But in fact this is a bit more stable than the 650, and I don't think there is anything inherent in the 680 that will predictably cause a reset natively.
    Hey, whats up with you mdavis. I saw you had posted, clicked on it with excited anticipation, expecting another pithy reference to Pareto, a grumble about having only achieved 80% happiness last night, or similar. Are you having a bad day?
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Hey, whats up with you mdavis. I saw you had posted, clicked on it with excited anticipation, expecting another pithy reference to Pareto, a grumble about having only achieved 80% happiness last night, or similar. Are you having a bad day?
    Shhhh...he's unusually optimistic, let's enjoy the ride
    What's a bad day? I've got my 680 still plugged into the wall. Plus, I made it clear that was only a weekend experiment. It didn't go well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Shhhh...he's unusually optimistic, let's enjoy the ride
    You go, Christina!! That's just what I was thinking!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    What's a bad day? I've got my 680 still plugged into the wall. Plus, I made it clear that was only a weekend experiment. It didn't go well.
    Actually, I got the impression the weekend expt was you being 'semi' positive, or at least trying to embrace the negatives. Now you sound disturbingly neutral - I hope your experiment hasn't caused permanent damage.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyalty4Life View Post
    I'm sorry - I was not specific enough with my post.

With the Treo the way it is with no 3rd party apps, what are some ways to purposefully make it crash when it actually shouldn't?
    I remember that I posted the trick somewhere. It works on other palm devices, too (at least: T5, TX, LifeDrive, Treo 600, 650, 680, 700p)

On the Hotsync screen; hold the "UP" button, then tap on the lower right corner. Badha bhum! It's reset.
    Treo Maniac?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast