Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    We all know there was a shift to hardware from software as a focus for the company. Wouldn't this mean churning out new phones like the 680 and the 750 would be the new model for profits. If so wouldn't that also mean fewer updates for phone systems they planned on replacing in a years time.

Could the 700P have been the first victim of such a policy and they never planned on releasing an update only a new phone?
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    I am not sure what has been the hold up this time.

The 23mb of memory on the 650 not "equalling" the 23mb of memory on the 600 was a huge issue.

Palm has said the ROM update has been "done" but is in testing by the carriers. . . . .

One thought I have is that Palm and the carriers are trying to determine how to make a ROM update without creating the opportunity for hackers to create the "Custom ROM" tools. We ran wild with this on the 650 and I am sure they did not like (1) Providing the ability to do so, and (2) the "bricks" they had to take back and trouble shooting calls they had to handle that were due to self inflicted wounds by the user . . . . . .(or not readily willing to make available vs. trying to determine. . .)

Do you think Apple will allow hacking of the operating system on the iPhone?
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/09/2007 at 07:40 AM.
    Perry, with all due respect, don't you think the number of people who actually bricked a phone with one of these tools was minute vs. the entire pool of 650 users? For that matter, I'm not sure the entire number of people who have ever even heard of the words "Custom ROM" would even be a blip on the radar. I don't doubt that they don't like the ROM hacks, but I'm not sure the number of people using them was anything Palm or the carriers needed to worry about. My $.02 anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    Perry, with all due respect, don't you think the number of people who actually bricked a phone with one of these tools was minute vs. the entire pool of 650 users? For that matter, I'm not sure the entire number of people who have ever even heard of the words "Custom ROM" would even be a blip on the radar. I don't doubt that they don't like the ROM hacks, but I'm not sure the number of people using them was anything Palm or the carriers needed to worry about. My $.02 anyways.

Hi Danspalmone!

I hear ya and agree wholeheartedly.. . . . .

Although, I have speculated on this previously and I then I read in the last week a post by Shadowmite speculating on that the Palm/Carriers may be trying to "envelop" the ROM update in some sort of "DRM" protection . . . . . so I re-presented it as a thought in this regard. . . .

You are correct -- Custom ROMs may be a blip on the radar -- but with the PHD tools that have been provided -- we may be surprised as to how many have done it. It may not be so much the "how many" but the fact that it could/can be done.

On one hand -- TC Forum members want to be "heard" because we are many and important users -- so I don't think we can discount that we are not many and not important when it comes to the hacking we have done. . . . . just my 2 cents.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/09/2007 at 08:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by llarson View Post
    We all know there was a shift to hardware from software as a focus for the company. Wouldn't this mean churning out new phones like the 680 and the 750 would be the new model for profits. If so wouldn't that also mean fewer updates for phone systems they planned on replacing in a years time.

Could the 700P have been the first victim of such a policy and they never planned on releasing an update only a new phone?
    In addition, when the 700p was announced Palm stated they would try and release replacements every 12 months. So I was already planning on upgrading (though I love my 700p).
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I recall Shadowmite's comments about trying to "DRM" the ROM, but given the nature of Palm OS I have to agree that is seems an illogical move. Palm users have historically always had a a core group who wrote apps and did a lot of customization. They must realize that cannot have total control over the software enviornment. You let the hardware out into the wild and people will do what they will and accept the consequences if they knowingly violate the EULA. Why should things be any different for the 700p?

What concerns me as a user is the possibility that some of the hardware issues are not fully resolvable. Why else would they be stalling?
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    Why else would they be stalling?
    My question is, who is "they?" I have also heard the statement/rumor that Palm has already passed the ROM update to the carriers for testing, so if true, what is taking the carriers so long?? If not true and Palm still has the update, I would be more inclined to believe Palm might be having hardware issues.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I think the carrier testing thing is a smokescreen.
    I recall a statement from Shadowmite some time back that the number of actual 'bricks' generated from customization was almost zero. If I remember correctly there was a modified cable that could retrieve even those.

I wonder if Palm was getting any heat from the developers of the licensed programs that were being deleted from ROM (RealPlayer, Docs To Go, their own Versamail, etc.)

Shadowmite?
    Last edited by Ohmster; 04/09/2007 at 03:11 PM.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I would think an "over the air install" type of release would prevent this ROM tampering issue. Still no excuse for the non release.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    If the patch took this longer than expected to write I would not be surprised if testing took longer than expected also.
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Seems they have releasd more new phones then they have updates for any of their devices.

Quote Originally Posted by llarson View Post

LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    I would think an "over the air install" type of release would prevent this ROM tampering issue. Still no excuse for the non release.
    Not gonna happen. Those who

1. Don't have data plans

2. Don't have unlimited data (there are actually some poor souls still living this lifestyle)

3. Have data plans but don't have high speed in their area (I'm pretty sure the update would take forever to download over 1xTT, all the while the user is missing calls and text messages)

Would basically be unable to update their Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Not gonna happen. Those who

1. Don't have data plans

2. Don't have unlimited data (there are actually some poor souls still living this lifestyle)

3. Have data plans but don't have high speed in their area (I'm pretty sure the update would take forever to download over 1xTT, all the while the user is missing calls and text messages)

Would basically be unable to update their Treos.
    Trevante, I agree that they won't likely release an OTA update as not everyone necessarily wants to update ("If it ain't broke..."), but if they did I'm sure any download would also be provided to those users with limited or no data plans. Even the 1xTT could be fed OTA in the background.

I would just like an update any way they choose to distribute it. Preferably NOW!