1.    #1  
    Any Chance Palm will Release a Hybrid Treo GSM-CDMA Phone??

BlackBerry 8830 "Cyclone" peeped with Verizon branding, I believe Sprint is to release the same phone.

I guess our friends at Blackberry are releasing the CDMA-GSM, any chance Palm would surprise it's users? Probably nice but I guess we can all dream?

How many of you Treo users have tried the Blackberry. Is the interface usable? Wish it were touch screen and more programs. Could Access license the software to blackberry and have them make a super phone (touch screen of course)
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    yah ,right don't think so - treo developement is carier driven and cariers have no interest in such feature
    There is such a phone, I think. It's the Samsung SCH-I830 I believe. Sprint sells it. As for Palm, I'd just SETTLE FOR A TREO THAT WORKS!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I can see a gsm/cdma phone being released as soon as a carrier starts supporting both standards. the only way i see that happening is if a carrier with one standards buying another with a different one. the costs would be enormous. so i'd say the odds are somewhere less than a 0% chance.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    ya right. imagine that nightmare? they can't even get bluetooth to work...

blackberry 8830 on verizon soon will do gsm cdma
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    I can see a gsm/cdma phone being released as soon as a carrier starts supporting both standards.
    That'd be CDMA Verizon Wireless, which is still (for now) part-owned by Vodafone, which is GSM. Folks who do a lot of overseas travel (e.g. businesses) are in need of such a beast.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    But the phone will NOT work on both systems in this country (at least the Samsung won't). It's a CDMA phone in the US that will accept a SIM card overseas. Until the carriers figure out how to bill for a service they don't supply, a phone that does both in this country is a long way off.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    But the phone will NOT work on both systems in this country (at least the Samsung won't). It's a CDMA phone in the US that will accept a SIM card overseas. Until the carriers figure out how to bill for a service they don't supply, a phone that does both in this country is a long way off.
    I was unaware you could not put in a prepaid sim or one from AT&T, T-Mobile ect.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I was unaware you could not put in a prepaid sim or one from AT&T, T-Mobile ect.
    The GSM portion of the current CDMA/GSM hybrid phones is in the 900/1800mhz band and will not work in the U.S. The purpose is for international roaming in other parts of the world where the GSM standard is 900/1800mhz, basically everywhere else (to some exceptions).

You can put in a SIM card all you want but it will not pick up any signal from any GSM carrier in this country as they are in the 850/1900mhz band.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    There is such a phone, I think. It's the Samsung SCH-I830 I believe. Sprint sells it. As for Palm, I'd just SETTLE FOR A TREO THAT WORKS!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    I'd just SETTLE FOR A TREO THAT WORKS!!!!!!!!
    AMEN!!
    Haha they would have to release a wifi-enabled Treo first.
    Come on, whatever7, you read the front page don't you? They released that already. We had it in there the whole time... Maybe next April 1st, Palm will release a GSM/CDMA phone.
    <Insert HELL-FREEZE-OVER image here>