Better not be the crappy java version we have to use on the Palm right now. They better write it as a native Palm app.
    We interviewed Jon von Tetzchner for our treocast on Monday. He mentioned that when they originally talked to Palm about opera for PalmOS it was way back during hte Palmsource spinoff, and they decided to just wait rather than develop for a soon-to-be-dead OS.

I also firmly believe that Opera will replace Blazer (How big a "Screw You" is that to Access, by the way? We don't want you messing with our OS, our Brand, heck, we don't even want your browser!). I also read this as a further confirmation that the next PalmOS will be Linux-based (Opera's running just dandy on linux devices.)
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    We interviewed Jon von Tetzchner for our treocast on Monday. He mentioned that when they originally talked to Palm about opera for PalmOS it was way back during hte Palmsource spinoff, and they decided to just wait rather than develop for a soon-to-be-dead OS.

I also firmly believe that Opera will replace Blazer (How big a "Screw You" is that to Access, by the way? We don't want you messing with our OS, our Brand, heck, we don't even want your browser!). I also read this as a further confirmation that the next PalmOS will be Linux-based (Opera's running just dandy on linux devices.)
    A Linux OS and it's not made by ACCESS? Why didn't you guys mention it in the podcast?
    I hope its better than the current one... I cant even get opera to run for 2 mins without crashing....
    The more I hear (e.g., the switch in browsers) the more I am curious about the next-generation Treo (and I don't mean the 755). It sounds like some profound changes are coming -- hopefully for the better. A switch like this is, I think, small by itself but an indicator of bigger things happening.

While I would hope that I have the personal integrity to wait for the first bug fix before buying the Next Great Treo, I know that I will be firing up the Visa card the moment the thing is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    While I would hope that I have the personal integrity to wait for the first bug fix before buying the Next Great Treo, I know that I will be firing up the Visa card the moment the thing is released.
    I have a feeling you won't be the only one...
    My $25 bet on the 900P is looking better and better. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    My $25 bet on the 900P is looking better and better. . . .
    I think you should raise the stakes.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Does Palm have a product history like Intel - where every other generation is good and the ones in between were immaterial as time passes i.e 386, P1 and P3 were pretty revolutionary but the 286, 486 and P2 didn't really have a lot of breakthroughs? If so does that mean the 8xxP series will be good while many of us just wasted (and are about to waste) time and money on a 7xxP?
    The 700p-Foleo jump shouldn't be compared to the 650-700p increment.

IIRC, Jeff said the Foleo is the third revolutionary device he's built. The first was the original Palm, and the second was the Treo. Each enabled things that just weren't possible before. I can't wait until this conference in May, but I would bet that we don't see any hardware there. It would be silly to show the Treo killer a month ahead of the 755p's release.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I have the feeling that the PalmOS is rebounding. It sounds like there will once again be a better choice of some applications, especially web browsers (Opera planning on releasing theirs, I plan on rewriting Universe to use Apple's WebKit) and possibly even email applications (Marc Blank working for Palm). Even Palm hiring Paul Mercer might indicate something (hopefully for the PalmOS).

The PalmOS might once again have a future (I am not going to get too excited since it is too early to tell).

Who knows...