Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the device to work as advertised, as well as to at least support the same functionality of its predecessor. And we're talking about something as simple as the 700p working with its own branded BT headset.

I spotted this article at Business Week, which I think underlines the issues here, vis a vis no communcation from Palm.
    Last edited by eodell; 04/08/2007 at 08:49 PM.
    I for one am just upset that you get horrible text message freezes, and bluetooth works like crap even the palm BT headset which I have tried along with other would crash the phone or after a few days magically not be paired with the phone.. I gave up on BT a long time ago. And why did I keep the phone.. At the time it was the best they had to offer and I didnt want to pay $40 a month for the blackberry data, not to mention being a palm user for years and year I expected updates on the phone within a reasonable amount of time. And not having a single update since launch is unacceptable, at least they could put one upgrade out ever few month that address the small issue that really annoy us. I am not really *****ing about the lag I doubt that will be fixed but the BT and SMS delays just kill me.

One last thing after having 3 700p's the build quality and performance is not consistent at all. My first 700p was quick and stable and maybe crashed once a month, the second treo I had (fist one got wet) suffered a defective radio and because of that could not fucntion.. My third treo has a better physical build quality than the other 2 along but its slower and seems to crash once every few days.
    When talking Bluetooth, let's not forget that this is just not a headset issue. A lot of customers paid for that extra money to have the hand free bluetooth option in their phone. A guy who travels three to four hours a day and has to constantly keep in touch with his clients during that time doesn't want to have to fool with ANY wired/non-wired headset.

For those who have never seen, it's like having a kick **** speakerphone in your car. Audio from the other caller comes straight out of the speaker system and your talking is clearly picked up by a mic somewhere in the car. I've seen it work perfectly with the 650 on my client's car. It automatically pairs whenever he enters the car without even having to pull his Treo out of his coat pocket. The majority of his fellow employees are in the same travel situation which is why they chose the 650 for their company.

For whoever is saying that Bluetooth is not a big issue and using the wired headset is a solution, I really need you to reply to the following question. If you can successfully provide a solution then the rest of us will be forever silenced about Bluetooth. If you cannot though, you need to admit that Bluetooth is a big issue absolutely worth being peeved about.

Suppose that you were the vendor that had talked the above company into upgrading to the 700p. How would you respond to the company when it complained that their employees could no longer use their car's Bluetooth feature? That they should stop using it and start using the included wired headset? Assume this happened eight months ago. How would you look right now if you had somehow convinced that company to wait for Palm to provide a patch? Do you think this might cost you a large client? Possibly your job?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Is the BT problem software or hardwware related? And what all is the ROM update suppsoed to fix?
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    I guess personally I never thought as a Bluetooth car kit as a viable solution because I also want my Treo to be able to play music and GPS coordinates over the car radio, so I've always considered the Seidio type docks the only solution.

As for the thing about a company buying Treos, being an individual user I never thought of that.

One thing I should clarify again is that I have never claimed that the issues don't bother me at all, like I said, a few of them bug me once in a while, and I want an update too, I'm just trying to stress a little patience here. Its not even the end of April yet, we were told most recently the update would be released in April, at least wait until the end of the month before giving them such a hard time. Besides that, as I said earlier, deadlines are missed sometimes. It sucks, but it happens, and if thats the case, sure it'd be nice to be informed, but that wouldn't make the update come any faster either.
    If gets released in April, it's probably not a big deal that it slipped a couple of weeks. At least in the big picture of coming up on a year. But Palm is still playing the whole carrier testing delay card. It kind of makes everyone nervous they will keep playing that card every month and say May then June and so on and so forth again and again. Especially when the carriers keep claiming that Palm is holding the uodate up. Until Palm addresses why the carrier keeps pointing back at them, there will continue to be suspicion on the part of the customers.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Here's an email I recieved today in response to my email to Robert Barish;

Dear Mr. Di Eduardo,
    Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless Executive Offices. So that I might get this issue into the right hands within our staff, would you please provide me with your mobile telephone number and a number at which you can best be reached during normal business hours?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Rick Krueger
    Verizon Wireless
    HQ Executive Relations
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    I'm just curious as all get out to see if the patch actually fixes the phone. If I were a betting guy, I'd say it won't fix much. My main complaint is the absoutely horrible bluetooth. I can live with the lag ( I dont like it, but I can live with it). Every time I want to use my bluetooth headseat, I have to soft reset the phone. Most of the time that will work for ONE PHONE CALL. The phone quite often will reset on it's own when the bluetooth is on. This is absolutely unaccceptable.
    The complaints may be valid; however, there are those of us who have no routine problems. My Sprint Treo 700p is stable. It is used HOURS at a time throughout the day with HanDBase, DTG, ChatterEmail and other applications. There are steps that can be taken to enhance stability and that is what I did with the result of a stable device.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    PDR447

If you read many other threads in the forum, you'll meet your goal of getting the most of your 700p.

Once you do that, you'll also realize the flaws we have all been complaining. And to be honest, some of us have invested quite a bit of money on this device (software, peripherals) that selling it would be a much severe impact, beyond the $600 original price tag. Unfortunately buying a smartphone is a major commitment, as you probably will realize once you fine tune your Treo to your likings.

Besides, the "whinning" we are all expressing now is 100% valid. The company promised to fix something, they failed. If we were to extent this analogy to other environments, say with a car shop failing to fix your car, or a technician failing to fix a computer after a deadline himself gave you... what would you do? sell the computer? the car?

But don't get me wrong. My 700p is a love-hate relationship. The diatribe is with Palm, not so much with the faulty-but-lovely Treo...
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I use the Palm BT headset and have zero pairing problems. It even stays paired after a soft reset (usually self induced). I just turned the headset on after a long weekend on non use and it paired. In fact, I had many more issues with pairing on the 650.

That statement is not to discredit those with the problems. I just wonder why there is such a vast array of experiences? is it hardware that is inconsistent or the software we install?

I've talked with several users who are new to the Treo (and not the type to be reading Forums about their phone) and have yet to find one who is dissatisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyca View Post
    I use the Palm BT headset and have zero pairing problems. It even stays paired after a soft reset (usually self induced). I just turned the headset on after a long weekend on non use and it paired. In fact, I had many more issues with pairing on the 650.

That statement is not to discredit those with the problems. I just wonder why there is such a vast array of experiences? is it hardware that is inconsistent or the software we install?

I've talked with several users who are new to the Treo (and not the type to be reading Forums about their phone) and have yet to find one who is dissatisfied.

Its has to be the inconsistency with the hardware. My fist treo 700p was near flawless and lag wasnt that bad.. Second treo (first one got wet) the radio didnt work on it so it had to be replaced. My third treo seems to just randomly crash every few days and I have the same software that I had on my fist treo that would maybe crash once ever few weeks.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    ...but this is probably gonna be my last treo.

I LOVE the software options available with palm + all the other things the Treo offers.

But, this lag and the bluetooth pairing is frustrating. Moreso, if it really is a critical hware flaw, they'll I'm actually po'd, because they knew that early buyers like myself would jump at a new treo. In essense, they banked on loyal customers snatching up bleeding edge treos thinking that they would deal with issues, so long as a firmware patch came soon enough.

Likewise, if a firmware patch for the 700p has just been made a lower priority, I'm equally po'd for the same reason.

It's more than some sweet deal I need now to stay with the Treo line. I simply don't have faith in the product anymore. I seriously don't see how I stick with 'em next time I get a phone.

And, FWIW, I have invested a lot of time and money in palm treos, and really don't want to switch to something else. But this is just too much. The fact I feel taken advantage of plus the fact that the product isnt living up to expectations (and is finally started to face some stiffer competition) may finally push me overboard.

I have had the 300, 600, 650, and never felt like this before. I have been very patient. I'm fed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyca View Post

I have a Motorola HS850, which is on the supported list from Palm for the Treo 700p. It's 50/50 with this thing. Sometimes it won't pair when I turn on the headset, sometimes it will pair but audio will not come through the headset even when I push the button, sometimes bluetooth turns itself off ont the Palm for no reason at all. When I turn it back on, the headset won't pair again unless I do a soft reset.

Other times, it works without issues. There have been times when I am in the middle of getting a call, I grab my headset and turn it on, it pairs, and I pickup the phone call before it ever goes to voicemail.

It's very random, which worries me because as a computer systems engineer, usually means hardware problems.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The complaints may be valid; however, there are those of us who have no routine problems. My Sprint Treo 700p is stable. It is used HOURS at a time throughout the day with HanDBase, DTG, ChatterEmail and other applications. There are steps that can be taken to enhance stability and that is what I did with the result of a stable device.

Ben

What are the steps you took to get stability?
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I have a Motorola HS850, which is on the supported list from Palm for the Treo 700p. It's 50/50 with this thing. Sometimes it won't pair when I turn on the headset, sometimes it will pair but audio will not come through the headset even when I push the button, sometimes bluetooth turns itself off ont the Palm for no reason at all. When I turn it back on, the headset won't pair again unless I do a soft reset.

Other times, it works without issues. There have been times when I am in the middle of getting a call, I grab my headset and turn it on, it pairs, and I pickup the phone call before it ever goes to voicemail.

It's very random, which worries me because as a computer systems engineer, usually means hardware problems.
    Ditto with the Jabra JX-10, also on the supposed compatibility list. When I move to a new phone I'm gonna return this JX-10 to costco and go back to my beloved plantronics 640.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Ditto with the Jabra JX-10, also on the supposed compatibility list. When I move to a new phone I'm gonna return this JX-10 to costco and go back to my beloved plantronics 640.
    more dittos with a JX-10

I've noticed that most of the time when a headset comes unpaired that the BT driver is usually named when I do a ##377#.

Normal unpairing I thought was weird enough. It was really weird when my headset would connect but audio would only come through the phone.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I have been away from the legitimate complaints regarding the 700P for a few days while learning to use my new Moto Q. It is a little clumsy at first but it doesn't crash and has no lag so it seems worth it so far. I have to say, i needed something out of my 700 and it sure felt thick and rather fat in my hand. Of course it had the lag and the frustration came back. Palm's position of silence and ignoring the users is not one I want to bother with any longer. I am gone and I don't think I am alone. This site has been helpful to comiserate with other people that all have the same issue and it is real. The phone is otherwise a capable device nut it simply has unacceptable problems and no one that can will address them, namely Palm. Shame really, but as I said, I am gone.

Thanks
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    Quote Originally Posted by nptski View Post
    I have been away from the legitimate complaints regarding the 700P for a few days while learning to use my new Moto Q. It is a little clumsy at first but it doesn't crash and has no lag so it seems worth it so far. I have to say, i needed something out of my 700 and it sure felt thick and rather fat in my hand. Of course it had the lag and the frustration came back. Palm's position of silence and ignoring the users is not one I want to bother with any longer. I am gone and I don't think I am alone. This site has been helpful to comiserate with other people that all have the same issue and it is real. The phone is otherwise a capable device nut it simply has unacceptable problems and no one that can will address them, namely Palm. Shame really, but as I said, I am gone.

Thanks
    The Q isnt that great either.. I know 2 people with the Q and after you add junk to them they will crash like the treos... Also no touch screen= no go for most of us.
    I've received a couple of PMs based on this thread, so I'm going to respond here rather than repeat myself a few times:

One issue that was raised is that TC is supposedly in Palm's pocket.- it's definitely a fair thing to be worried about given that this is a site about Treos, which are only made by one company. I do think we do a pretty good job of holding Palm's feet to the fire, certainly better than most of our Treo-specific competition out there. We *did* do our best to call attention to the issue with a couple of front page stories and some conversations with Palm.

In any case, my point was that the calls would have a higher "Hassle to effectiveness" ratio in this case than most other "consumer escalation" calls to execs. When you have a problem with a Verizon bill being screwed up, for example, a call to a VP can get it fixed right away. But when you're looking for something more complicated, like the bugfixes for the 700p, an open letter or email is just as effective, since there's no way a bug fix can be sent out that instant.

In any case, the real point is that Sinclair is well aware of the issue and is surely working on it. I personally expect we'll see the update in the next two weeks, but (since we're not in Palm's pocket ), I don't know for sure.

...which brings me to the "front page" question. I haven't put up anything on the front page yet mainly because nothing's *changed* yet. Palm has missed the Q1 deadline - and if it gets much later our hand may indeed be forced. But since my hunch is that we'll see the release soon, I'd rather wait just a bit longer.

The bigger question, for me, is how our forums get seen by the larger world out there and how the front page does that. To be honest, I don't want to perpetuate the idea that is gaining traction in other forums - that TC has a larger group of complainers. I don't think that's the case at all, and so part of me actually worries I'd be doing us a disfavor by posting it up - it might get read as "oh, more TC whining", which is not the case.

I will tell you what, though, I'm definitely going to be talking about this in the podcast on Monday. That'll be on the front page.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    ...which brings me to the "front page" question. I haven't put up anything on the front page yet mainly because nothing's *changed* yet. Palm has missed the Q1 deadline - and if it gets much later our hand may indeed be forced. But since my hunch is that we'll see the release soon, I'd rather wait just a bit longer.
    What about now that Palm has indicated to Bob C that they will will not make the end of April date either???
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast