Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    This would have been best way to get palm to address the issue back when the 700 first hit the shelves... I remember when the 650 first came out it got good reviews, but the memory issue was mentioned on all the tech sites... So palm had no choice but to address the issue... As a result the rom update was released rather fast & they gave away 128mb sd cards for your troubles...

The 700p is different, because if you don't read any of the treo forums you would never know the 700p problems exist, until after you have purchased it... Its like Palms dirty lil secret... IMO it seems like Palm is trying to sweep this one under the rug...

So if I were a 700p user I would dump it off on eBay before the 755 hits the streets & hurts my resale value...
    Normally I would agree with selling the phone before the 755 hits the streets, however, I don't want to deal with a shorter battery life.

I think if tech sites start talking about how the 755p is the fix for the 700p and the lack of support the 700p got, then they would think twice before buying it. Perhaps this will get palm to release a patch before the 755p comes out.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I have a solution...everyone that is having issues with their Palm devices stop buying them in hopes for a succesor and buy something else to replace it to the best of your needs. If this happens then Palm will feel it at the next quarterly report and then and may be only then they will do something. I have a 700p and I have had little trouble with it but I do have the same lagging problems and random resets as others but I deal with it. I will tell you one thing...since my 700p does work for me, it will be the last Palm I buy until there is an undeniable change for the better in their product and that may be months to a year or more if even possible. If I don't get another device from another manufacturer my 700p will be a old one...I will be like the people who still use 600's when that time comes...I don't have to have the latest and newest...as long as I can accomplish the tasks set before me with my 700 I will keep it until? No matter what alot of people griping will by this 755p heading down that same beta testing black hole and that will just keep us in the same old grind. Stand up and stop buying Palm's product and get used to someone elses or shut up IMO.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I have a solution...everyone that is having issues with their Palm devices stop buying them in hopes for a succesor and buy something else to replace it to the best of your needs. If this happens then Palm will feel it at the next quarterly report and then and may be only then they will do something. I have a 700p and I have had little trouble with it but I do have the same lagging problems and random resets as others but I deal with it. I will tell you one thing...since my 700p does work for me, it will be the last Palm I buy until there is an undeniable change for the better in their product and that may be months to a year or more if even possible. If I don't get another device from another manufacturer my 700p will be a old one...I will be like the people who still use 600's when that time comes...I don't have to have the latest and newest...as long as I can accomplish the tasks set before me with my 700 I will keep it until? No matter what alot of people griping will by this 755p heading down that same beta testing black hole and that will just keep us in the same old grind. Stand up and stop buying Palm's product and get used to someone elses or shut up IMO.

Well ever stop to think that most of us have 2 year contracts and have a year left on them and dont want to pay full retail for a new phone..

And again this is not acceptable for a $650 phone not to have a single update since launch.

Lets see Apple computers has been able to bring out an upgraded OS every year... Cost around $60..

PS3 has an update every few weeks cost $600

And as I think of other items I have and I am sure others will add to my list of items that cost about the same or less that have had more updates in the past 30 days than palm has put out in a year..
    Wow, people here are really overreacting about Sinclair's promise. Let me preface this by saying, I'm as frustrated as everyone else here about the fact that its a year later and there hasn't been a 700p update yet.

However, its not like writing a firmware update is a simple process, and it'll require a ton of updated software. I don't know if anyone realizes this, but software gets delayed constantly, just ask Microsoft or Nintendo. For all we know, a fatal bug could have come up at the last minute that requires a huge fix.

Also, I know you're disappointed in the lack of communications, but don't take it out on him, last time I checked its not really in a senior product manager's job description to talk to customers. He's taking time away from what his job is to talk to us. That's not to say that there shouldn't be someone communicating, but that's not the job he signed up for, so give the guy a break already.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Wow, people here are really overreacting about Sinclair's promise. Let me preface this by saying, I'm as frustrated as everyone else here about the fact that its a year later and there hasn't been a 700p update yet.

However, its not like writing a firmware update is a simple process, and it'll require a ton of updated software. I don't know if anyone realizes this, but software gets delayed constantly, just ask Microsoft or Nintendo. For all we know, a fatal bug could have come up at the last minute that requires a huge fix.

Also, I know you're disappointed in the lack of communications, but don't take it out on him, last time I checked its not really in a senior product manager's job description to talk to customers. He's taking time away from what his job is to talk to us. That's not to say that there shouldn't be someone communicating, but that's not the job he signed up for, so give the guy a break already.
    1) Writing firmware for a treo is much simpler than writing firmware for the Nintento Wii or the Sony PS3, I guarantee that, yet the latter two are able to release regular updates in a timely manner.

2) It may not be HIS job to communicate with customers, but I can almost certainly assure you that those that are supposed to interface with customers report to him in some way shape or form. The lack of communication starts at or near the top.

Apple computers has no trouble churning out a new updated OS every year not only that it runs on 2 different chip sets the PowerPC and Intel...

May old Samsung A900 had a few software updates right after it came out.

The point is they have released nothing since the launch of the product..

And dont pull they it takes a long time argument... It seems that they have plenty of time to develop new treo's and just ignore the old. If I was running the company I would make dam sure the new treo 755p works great then I would offer an upgrade discount program for 700p owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    If you purchased a new, top-of-the-line Plasma HDTV from Sony and problems arose with it. Let's say it shut itself off and then turned on again for no apparent reason. You returned the TV to your local retailer and got another of the same model as a replacement. Now the new TV is having the same issues as the last. You make some inquiries and find that Sony has acknowledged a power supply issue. However, instead of fixing problem with your new $5000.00 TV, they release a new model that doesn't have those issues. Would you be satisfied if Sony or the retailer you purchased the TV from told you that there was nothing more they were willing to do? Would you be OK with someone telling you that if you could afford to buy the TV in the first place, you should just go out and buy another one? Probably not.
    Yup, this is the gist. The 700p's problems are apparently so bad that they haven't been able to figure out how to get a single firmware fix released in over 10 months since they brought it out. Not a single fix... for even the most basic of problems: bluetooth headset unpairing. On a phone for which using a bluetooth headset is a basic marketing point and specification. Heck, the physical phone jack is at the BOTTOM of the device - hardly a realistic place to plug it in!

So with the heavy rumors and pics indicating very soon that the faulty 700p will be EOL'd and a new PalmOS "755" will be released around the same time, the TV analogy above seems "spot on."

If Palm tries sticking us with this faulty 700p that we've waited in vain for their promised "patch" which turns out to be in reality encased in a 755 which we are then expected to shell out yet another few hundred dollars for........ THEN the calls can get more demanding.

Right now I think a few people gently and firmly reminding Palm that they aren't out of the woods on this is sufficient. Palm is probably in a very difficult situation, knows they've screwed up (yet again), and really can't and won't release any comments except blaming the carriers.

But if Palm tries bamboozling me into paying yet ANOTHER $650.00 for the Treo 755 to get the bluetooth capability that I already paid $650.00 for 9 months ago (and have yet to receive), I'm on board for a MAJOR "discussion" with them.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    If so, it means We don't get the update until May. That sucks.

I just re-read Sinclair's letter. Given the circumstances he's either dishonest or incompetent. Which is it?
    I wouldn't personalize it to Mr. Sinclair. He's only serving his Masters, and I'll bet that letter had some level of approval before release, otherwise he'd have lost his job the day after.

If the "patch" doesn't come out until the 755 does, then I will speak with Sprint about "opting" for the 755 rather than the 700p that I purchased. If it's cheaper, then I'll gladly accept the extra money back.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Granted. Like others I am just fed up. I have all but given up using bluetooth on my 700p.

Palm has taken enough of my money. At this point I think I'm leaning towards Merlyn's solution: dumping it for something else. Maybe the iPhone, maybe the BB 8800...
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    This would have been best way to get palm to address the issue back when the 700 first hit the shelves... I remember when the 650 first came out it got good reviews, but the memory issue was mentioned on all the tech sites... So palm had no choice but to address the issue... As a result the rom update was released rather fast & they gave away 128mb sd cards for your troubles...
    I was really surprised that the 700p wasn't patched with about the same gusto as the 650. Within months they had several patches out and eventually they got it working about as well as they could considering the underspec'd memory in it.

The 10 months since release without a single patch for the 700p indicates that either it's unfixable, and/or Palm is so severely overextended that they can't even patch a major bug.

I was one of the first "whiners" about the Treo 650 memory problems, and thankfully the media picked up the issue and it eventually became a somewhat usable device about 6 months later. It was an issue they couldn't run from, as EVERYONE could verify that the memory wasn't there, and Palm couldn't blame much on "third party software."

I think the 700p's "dropped bluetooth" issue is probably too esoteric and difficult to pin down for the tech writers, Palm has learned it's lesson and been able to muddy the issue, deny and redirect complaints to the carriers and "third party developers," and unicorns.

It's not insignificant that Palm does a bit of advertising, and I'll bet the guys selling ads to Palm can talk to their buddies in Editorial to make sure the claims about problems with a certain Palm device are "scrutinized carefully." Lots of ways to keep the volume low on device problems in order to keep selling them. Once the return period is over and/or you are locked into a contract, "boo-hoo for you." Then you are relegated to finding clever ways to beg Palm for support... and thus- this thread!!
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Yup, this is the gist. The 700p's problems are apparently so bad that they haven't been able to figure out how to get a single firmware fix released in over 10 months since they brought it out. Not a single fix... for even the most basic of problems: bluetooth headset unpairing. On a phone for which using a bluetooth headset is a basic marketing point and specification. Heck, the physical phone jack is at the BOTTOM of the device - hardly a realistic place to plug it in!

Hmm. I noticed the bluetooth "un-pairing" too, and always 30 seconds into a phone call. This does not seem to happen when running my TomTom Nav 5 receiver setup up but it DOES happen to my HBH-600 headset which I thought might be attributed to a defective unit....
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied View Post
    Hmm. I noticed the bluetooth "un-pairing" too, and always 30 seconds into a phone call. This does not seem to happen when running my TomTom Nav 5 receiver setup up but it DOES happen to my HBH-600 headset which I thought might be attributed to a defective unit....
    Yes, this sounds typical of the problem. I also seem to get (mostly) stable connections to a GPS receiver, but the headsets are useless except as a science experiment or gambling device.

And don't bother returning your headset... I have TWO "Palm-branded" ones and they do exactly the same.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Joad brings up a good point:

The 700p was my first Treo (but my 12th or 13th Palm-branded product over the past decade +). While I still bought the device with MAJOR reservations (losing wi-fi, 320x480, 128mb RAM and 3.5mm headphone jack from my TX), I figured that Palm would patch and maintain the 700p as religiously as they did the 650. WHOOPS!

I'll NOT make that same mistake again.

I still have my original TX plus another new one I bought last year as a backup. After nearly a year with the tragically flawed 700p, I'm definitely back to using 2 devices (TX + a dumbphone) after my Treo's 2year contract is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    After nearly a year with the tragically flawed 700p, I'm definitely back to using 2 devices (TX + a dumbphone) after my Treo's 2year contract is up.
    What's stopping you from doing that now. Your contract doesn't apply to keeping the same phone for two years, but just that you'll stay with the provider for two years. If you hate it so much, buy the other phone, switch out your service, and ebay the Treo.

And you know, it seems like most of these issues are with bluetooth headsets. Personally, after using a few Bluetooth headsets for both PC gaming and my Treo, and realizing how horrible a wireless headset is in general, I'll definitely be sticking to wired headsets for a long time. Besides that, I like how the headset that comes with it is stereo, so I don't have to bring two different things for music and phone calls.

What bothers me more is the slight lag between switching apps. Maybe its because I only upgraded from the Treo 600, which was slow in the first place, but I don't think the delays are as bad as anyone is making out.

I don't get why people are expecting that somehow it'd still come out 1Q just because the old information said so. For a while now the newest information has said that it was on track for April, which last time I checked, still isn't over yet.

If the problems for some of you are making your Treo unusable, then get a cheap phone for the next month (in fact if you think they're making it unusable maybe you should have returned the phone in the first place- it wasn't until a long time after the release that Palm even said an update was coming, if your phone wasn't working until then you probably should have just brought it back to the store then, instead of just expecting a firmware update based on prior history... the LifeDrive was released flawed, and that never received a firmware update, so prior history means nothing), if they're just small annoyances, will another month or two kill you? I completely agree with Bob on this, a ton of us *****ing and moaning won't make anything change, it'll just make him less likely to respond in the future.
    I just got my 700p and I hope they come out with the update soon. If not, this will be my last Treo. Frankly, some of the other PDA style phones are becomming viable alternatives and I would not hesitate to trade it out. PALM needs to fix these issues and not treat customers as if they are unlimited. Keeping a customer is far cheaper than finding new ones...marketing 101 teaches that.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    PDR447

If you read many other threads in the forum, you'll meet your goal of getting the most of your 700p.

Once you do that, you'll also realize the flaws we have all been complaining. And to be honest, some of us have invested quite a bit of money on this device (software, peripherals) that selling it would be a much severe impact, beyond the $600 original price tag. Unfortunately buying a smartphone is a major commitment, as you probably will realize once you fine tune your Treo to your likings.
    Sorry for the slow reply. Like I mentioned, it's getting tough to read this forum... Anyways I've had my 700 for over 6 months now and have over 25 third party apps. I haven't needed to change my setup at all for probably the last 3 months, so I'd say I've met my goal with the 700. I haven't run into anything major worth complaining about. As for the amount I've invested in the phone/apps, yes it is a decent amount but I also went into this knowing that I was spending money on a treo. A treo(at least in my eyes) is a luxury, not an essential, so I budget it as a luxury(not expecting anything in return).

Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Besides, the "whinning" we are all expressing now is 100% valid. The company promised to fix something, they failed. If we were to extent this analogy to other environments, say with a car shop failing to fix your car, or a technician failing to fix a computer after a deadline himself gave you... what would you do? sell the computer? the car?

But don't get me wrong. My 700p is a love-hate relationship. The diatribe is with Palm, not so much with the faulty-but-lovely Treo...
    hey, people miss "deadlines". it happens. if your car was a little slow to be fixed you'd be upset, yes, but you wouldn't complain incessantly and start a class action suit(which has been going on ad nauseam here).

EDIT: oh and most of the time when your car or computer are being fixed you're paying for it to be done. nobody is paying for the rom update. to take this to the car analogy: let's say the car's getting some warrenty(free) work done. if it takes a little longer than planned you most aren't going to care since you aren't paying for the work.
    Last edited by PDR447; 04/08/2007 at 03:36 PM.
    What's stopping you from doing that now. Your contract doesn't apply to keeping the same phone for two years, but just that you'll stay with the provider for two years. If you hate it so much, buy the other phone, switch out your service, and ebay the Treo.

And you know, it seems like most of these issues are with bluetooth headsets. Personally, after using a few Bluetooth headsets for both PC gaming and my Treo, and realizing how horrible a wireless headset is in general, I'll definitely be sticking to wired headsets for a long time. Besides that, I like how the headset that comes with it is stereo, so I don't have to bring two different things for music and phone calls.

What bothers me more is the slight lag between switching apps. Maybe its because I only upgraded from the Treo 600, which was slow in the first place, but I don't think the delays are as bad as anyone is making out.

I don't get why people are expecting that somehow it'd still come out 1Q just because the old information said so. For a while now the newest information has said that it was on track for April, which last time I checked, still isn't over yet.

If the problems for some of you are making your Treo unusable, then get a cheap phone for the next month (in fact if you think they're making it unusable maybe you should have returned the phone in the first place- it wasn't until a long time after the release that Palm even said an update was coming, if your phone wasn't working until then you probably should have just brought it back to the store then, instead of just expecting a firmware update based on prior history... the LifeDrive was released flawed, and that never received a firmware update, so prior history means nothing), if they're just small annoyances, will another month or two kill you? I completely agree with Bob on this, a ton of us *****ing and moaning won't make anything change, it'll just make him less likely to respond in the future.
    You talk about getting a cheap phone.. The cheapest phone you can buy right now on my service is $180... Why should I have to spend $180 when I have a $650 phone that should be able to do what the $180 phone does but 4 times better....

But in the end I think I might ebay my treo and get the name slim samsung "upstage" along with an evdo data card..
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    You talk about getting a cheap phone.. The cheapest phone you can buy right now on my service is $180... Why should I have to spend $180 when I have a $650 phone that should be able to do what the $180 phone does but 4 times better....
    What exactly are the things that are preventing your Treo from working as well as that $180 phone? Bluetooth? There are specific headsets that work well with the Treo, and besides that, you can always use the INCLUDED wired headset for a while while you wait for the update.

As I've said a few times, sure they're annoyances, but if there's something that is completely stopping you from using the Treo, I'd understand a little more. What I wouldn't understand about it is why you've kept it for as long as you have, and didn't return it right away if thats the case. If there was a deal-breaking issue, I'd have returned it right away.
  19.    #59  
    What exactly are the things that are preventing your Treo from working as well as that $180 phone? Bluetooth? There are specific headsets that work well with the Treo, and besides that, you can always use the INCLUDED wired headset for a while while you wait for the update.

As I've said a few times, sure they're annoyances, but if there's something that is completely stopping you from using the Treo, I'd understand a little more. What I wouldn't understand about it is why you've kept it for as long as you have, and didn't return it right away if thats the case. If there was a deal-breaking issue, I'd have returned it right away.
    What about those of us who absolutely HATE wired headsets? What about those of us who've spent a pretty penny on our bluetooth headsets? Part of the reason people get this phone is for the bluetooth capability, it's part of what we pay for, and for almost a year now that capability hasn't worked properly. BTW, palm's own headsets don't work properly with the bluetooth on the 700p.

I really don't get why you are trying to justify all this. It's obvious that there are a lot of people here who are more than frustrated with this phone and the lack of support, you're not gonna change our minds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post

I really don't get why you are trying to justify all this. It's obvious that there are a lot of people here who are more than frustrated with this phone and the lack of support, you're not gonna change our minds.
    Apparently, there are a lot more that are not frustrated by either one. It's pretty clear you're not going to change ours either, although you seem bound and determined to.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast