Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I say call him... Its his job and corporations should listen to consumers... Does anyone have the number for the CEO?..... And if they view this as a bad experience and never talk to consumer again then its just hurting them and the company. I like companies that have their own sponsored forum and have people form the company that post in them from the people who are customer service reps to developers.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I have mixed feelings about this. But I am leaning towards the solution (albeit a modified one) that Merlyn_3D proposes.

There are two positions we can take here: be the passive sheeps or be active consumers. I believe we have been passive for a really long time. We have always hoped for and wished for the company we certainly cared about to release a fix for a device we all really were looking forward to. I believe now is the time to take the reins and show corporations that we, the costumers, are the ones holding a big component of the equation that gives them profits every year. We have to make our voices be heard.

For one, there's a paper-internet trail of Palm's official position in regards to the ROM update. Q1 has come and gone, and April is ongoing but the complete silence is making us (making me) weary. We are not pulling these dates off of thin air. We are not making anything up. They (as in Palm and PRPRPR $people$ $form$ $Palm$) $dared$ $to$ $give$ $a$ $date$, $and$ $they$ $failed$. $Is$ $that$ $simple$. $They$ $will$ $finger$ $point$ $to$ $the$ $carriers$ $and$ $viceversa$, $and$ $that$'$s$ $why$ $we$ $need$ $to$ $do$ $the$ $extra$ $work$. $Follow$ $me$ $on$ $this$ $one$.

Do I agree with harassment? Not by all means, but this case is most certainly very far from harassment given the very important fact EVERYBODY knows about the defects of our Treo 700p. If we are dissatisfied customers, we should be expressing our concerns through the appropiate channels. That is not harassment, there is a real problem that needs a real solution and as such we should be peppering both Sprint/Verizon tech support as well as Palm support with our questions and concerns. Should we get nowhere there, then we escalate, and escalate until we reach the upper echelons. Plain and simple. With Merlyn_3D info, we can now escalate on Palm's side. And not only that, but for those Verizon customers, Consumerist.com lists the contact information of Verizon management. For Sprint users, here's the contact list.

It is time for us to do something, other than wait (im)patiently for Palm to say something about the ROM updates .
    Last edited by waldo15; 04/06/2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Found the Sprint Management contact list in Consumerist.com
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Perhaps we could get some attention from the mobile phone and palm web pages and blogs. Some headlines pointing to the fact that Palm failed to deliver on their promises, and are pushing a new phone out w/o fixing the old one may lite a fire under palm's butts.
    Last edited by ink883; 04/06/2007 at 05:06 PM.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    **Edit by Septimus**: I think after a call or two (and Palm's awareness of this thread), any more calls could comfortably be called harassment - which I don't think anybody really wants to do. So I'm taking out the direct extension # below, but I'm not going to lock down the thread otherwise.

In fact, I'm only editing here because I can't figure out a way to make sure this gets read first. ;-) Thanks for the permission to do so, Merlyn. --Dieter

merlyn's post follows...
    Excuse the rant....
    I don't think people calling a company to voice their complaints is harassment. There is no malicious purpose in the calls. Sinclair said there would be a firmware update, and there is none. No one is prank calling him, we are just asking for what we where promised. If a consumer is late on a payment the company will call (at all hours), what we can't do the same?

Has treocentral asked palm about an update? Why not post a story on treocentral's front page talking about this topic? There would be no need for people to call into palm if they would make a statement on the topic.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    wow you guys are getting rediculous! I joined this forum because I was excited about my new phone(vzw 700p) and wanted a place where I could learn how to get the most out of it. I still enjoy my phone but reading a forum full of complaints is getting hard. nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use the 700p. sell it and get something else! and don't say you can't afford to. you bought a $600 phone in the first place which means either 1. $600 is no sweat for you or 2. you got a discount from your service provider. #1's if you could afford $600 in the first place you can afford to take a small hit moving to another device. #2's since you received a discount you could likely sell the 700 and break even(some may even come out making money, as would be the case for me). either way the whining has got to stop, its not gonna do anything. palm has your money and that's the bottom line in business. calling and complaning is just immature. there are way too many devices on the market for a person to not find one they're happy with.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    wow you guys are getting rediculous! I joined this forum because I was excited about my new phone(vzw 700p) and wanted a place where I could learn how to get the most out of it. I still enjoy my phone but reading a forum full of complaints is getting hard. nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use the 700p. sell it and get something else! and don't say you can't afford to. you bought a $600 phone in the first place which means either 1. $600 is no sweat for you or 2. you got a discount from your service provider. #1's if you could afford $600 in the first place you can afford to take a small hit moving to another device. #2's since you received a discount you could likely sell the 700 and break even(some may even come out making money, as would be the case for me). either way the whining has got to stop, its not gonna do anything. palm has your money and that's the bottom line in business. calling and complaning is just immature. there are way too many devices on the market for a person to not find one they're happy with.
    Amen. I understand people are frustrated but wow, it seems as if the complaints are taking over a forum, that I once believed had more useful knowledge about Treos than any other on the internet. Now its cluttered with complaints. I know Im a noob to both this site and Treos but I have had my phone since Jan 07 and can count on one hand how many times it has reset. This phone resets once in a great while just like the MDA I had before it did and the Razr I had before that. No phone is perfect. I love my phone, it is by far the best phone I have ever had. The pros far out weigh the cons. Im sorry but calling a company over and over to voice a complaint that NOONE is going to take seriously only proves some people need to find something more constructive to do with thier time.

<.02
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'd love to vent my frustration by filling every voicemal box at Palm. It will not make the update come out any quicker and any time spent returning these calls just distracts them from getting the job done. Palm obviously knows the problems exist whether they choose to admit it or not, whether its due to a culture of poor customer service or to avoid legal implications by admitting fault. We have 3 choice: take no action, take pointless action or take constructive action. Only one of these 3 choices will have any positive effect on our current situation or for future products. What can we do along those lines: Not **** off Palm employees. Do you feel any more motivation to work at your job when your customers flood your voicemail? Document the problems you have and under what situations occur. This has probably been done but its not hard and it can't hurt. And if you want to help ensure the fall of Palm tell every potential customer of your problems with the phone and company. Legal action is a possibility but all that is going to do is tie up more Palm resources that could otherwise go into producing the next POS device with a circa 1985 operating system. No judge or jury is going to develop the patch in their courtroom. If you really want to make difference write the patch yourself or make sure the Palm programmers are fully supplied with whatever their stimulant of choice is to keep them programming 24/7.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    PDR447

If you read many other threads in the forum, you'll meet your goal of getting the most of your 700p.

Once you do that, you'll also realize the flaws we have all been complaining. And to be honest, some of us have invested quite a bit of money on this device (software, peripherals) that selling it would be a much severe impact, beyond the $600 original price tag. Unfortunately buying a smartphone is a major commitment, as you probably will realize once you fine tune your Treo to your likings.

Besides, the "whinning" we are all expressing now is 100% valid. The company promised to fix something, they failed. If we were to extent this analogy to other environments, say with a car shop failing to fix your car, or a technician failing to fix a computer after a deadline himself gave you... what would you do? sell the computer? the car?

But don't get me wrong. My 700p is a love-hate relationship. The diatribe is with Palm, not so much with the faulty-but-lovely Treo...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    ...the "whinning" we are all expressing now is 100% valid. The company promised to fix something, they failed. If we were to extent this analogy to other environments, say with a car shop failing to fix your car, or a technician failing to fix a computer after a deadline himself gave you... what would you do? sell the computer? the car?

But don't get me wrong. My 700p is a love-hate relationship. The diatribe is with Palm, not so much with the faulty-but-lovely Treo...
    Well put!
    I talked to a sprint tech today... And ask them about the update for the treo and the tech had a treo also and said he heard about it but had no news about if it coming out and he said he doubts we will ever get one since the treo is being updated and replaced in a few months.

A few weeks ago if you called tech support at sprint they knew about the update and were "testing" it... Now if you call them no one has a clue about it or cant find any information about it..
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    Has treocentral asked palm about an update? Why not post a story on treocentral\'s front page talking about this topic?
    You must be dreaming. It was like pulling teeth just getting TC to have the guts to whisper anything negative about the 700p or Palm on their front page. Does no one else remember reading the TC response to the Steve Sinclair letter? All gushing and slurping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    PLEASE do NOT do this. Just let me follow up again with him & see what happens.
    ha! what a joke. anyone that bought a phone from this company has a right to call anyone they want to voice their opinion about the product....good or bad.

the wheel the squeeks the loudest always gets greased first. all complaining will do is get you things like credits and free phones.

if you don't get that bob....you are in this for the wrong reason.
    I didn't really understand that last post.

I do believe that any consumer has the right to call these people up and ask for a status. I also believe that is off base to call it harassment as long as you are legitimately asking the questions as opposed to just prank calling these people. I also firmly believe they owe us an answer.

All I am saying is that if anybody gets so many voicemails that he can't do his job what do you think that guy is going to do? Call 50 people back? Maybe a person should but we all know it would never happen. It's probably more likely that the guy would just change his office number and lay low for awhile so he can get his work done.

I just sent Sinclair another followup email. I've posted it with the others at the top of Tracker response thread along with some other updates and thoughts. I would be very surprised should he not respond very early next week.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I didn't really understand that last post.

I do believe that any consumer has the right to call these people up and ask for a status. I also believe that is off base to call it harassment as long as you are legitimately asking the questions as opposed to just prank calling these people. I also firmly believe they owe us an answer.

All I am saying is that if anybody gets so many voicemails that he can't do his job what do you think that guy is going to do? Call 50 people back? Maybe a person should but we all know it would never happen. It's probably more likely that the guy would just change his office number and lay low for awhile so he can get his work done.

I just sent Sinclair another followup email. I've posted it with the others at the top of Tracker response thread along with some other updates and thoughts. I would be very surprised should he not respond very early next week.
    Thanks for the followup letter Bob-C, but I have serious doubts about whether we'll hear anything out of Steve Sinclair. Don't get me wrong, I really would like to know the answers to every one of the questions you posed in the letter, and I'm really hoping it would work, but I've learned not to get my hopes up anymore . I would, however, like to thank you for sending the second followup on our behalf; I sincerely do hope something comes of it.

With regards to calling and leaving messages, I do want to reiterate: please to not do so in a harassing way. If you feel like you really need to, call them up and ask what happened to the firmware update in a professional manner. You are a consumer, you want an answer, you deserve one. As frustrated as each of us are here, though, being rude or arrogant or just an arsehole on the phone will get us nowhere. And I would encourage you that if you are to do it, do so only once and leave a callback number so they know you're serious.

I realize that it's a thin line here, but Palm's corporate headquarters number is easily found on their webpage, phone directory, or google maps. It's a public number, and if they wanted to block you from talking to anyone, they have the right to choose not to transfer you. At this point, though, Palm has failed to deliver, and anyone who paid for their 700p deserves to know if they're going to be left in the dust or whatnot.

On another note, it's interesting to point out that even now if you call up Palm's technical support line, not a single representative seems to know about these "known issues" that a Palm exec has already admitted to. Something is wrong with the way Palm runs their support division.
    I made a call, too, but it was to my local Verizon store to confirm they had a BB 8703 in stock and ready to go for me.

I've enjoyed lurking around here and getting tips and tricks (starting with a working and stable 650), but after 9+ months of madness with my no-3rd-party-app 700p, its instability and bluetooth challenges (both frustrating and, worse, adversely impacting to get my work done...I'm a 4000 minute/month guy), and the update/patch that has never come, I simply cannot wait any longer for Palm to do the right thing.

Our spec for the past 2 yrs has been PalmOS. Not anymore: what I carry is what's supported

Best wishes to those of you who have the intestinal fortitude and patience to wait this out. I hope it works out for you.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I wrote an email to Robert Barish inquiring about the ROM update. We'll see if I get a response.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    I dumped my Treo 700p for a Moto Q. Couldn't be happier with it. Not one problem. I can listen to Sirius and Howard on my Moto wireless stereo headphones. Couldn't do that with the Treo. The caller Id on my car is correct. Even the signal meter is correct. Didn't happen on the Treo. Hell, the Q doesn't even crash when im on a phone call. Didn't happen with the Palm. I wouldn't waste my time waiting for an update, which probably wouldn't fix any of these problems anyways.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    As a Treo owner, I don't have too much to complain about. Yes, I did have to replace my 1st 700p because of the headset jack issue (bad headset jack kills sound). Sprint sent me a new one without a hitch. The only problem my second 700p had was my Great Dane's Teeth (Yes, the dog ate the phone). The dog is just fine. The phone...not so much. However, I have insurance, and another phone reached me the next day. I haven't had any problems at all with the 3rd Treo.

My only concern in all of this is that after acknowledging certain issues with their product, Palm seems to have dropped support for the 700p in favor of a new phone (755P). As a consumer, that bugs me. It doesn't matter how much money I do or don't have. I bought a product that was touted as providing me with superior quality. This came not only from the manufacturerer, but from the service provider. If there are issues, they should be addressed and fixed.

For most providers, this is the top of their phone line. If you purchased a new, top-of-the-line Plasma HDTV from Sony and problems arose with it. Let's say it shut itself off and then turned on again for no apparent reason. You returned the TV to your local retailer and got another of the same model as a replacement. Now the new TV is having the same issues as the last. You make some inquiries and find that Sony has acknowledged a power supply issue. However, instead of fixing problem with your new $5000.00 TV, they release a new model that doesn't have those issues. Would you be satisfied if Sony or the retailer you purchased the TV from told you that there was nothing more they were willing to do? Would you be OK with someone telling you that if you could afford to buy the TV in the first place, you should just go out and buy another one? Probably not.

Although I'm not experiencing many of the problems that others seem to be facing, that doesn't mean that those problems won't arise in the future. So, since Palm has acknowledged issues with there product, I think it only fair that they fix the issues, or replace the phones of those dissatisfied with the newer model.

My hope is that the OS used in the 755p will also be the "fix" for the 700p, and be made available to 700p users as soon as it clears the provider hurdles.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    My hope is that the OS used in the 755p will also be the "fix" for the 700p, and be made available to 700p users as soon as it clears the provider hurdles.
    If so, it means We don't get the update until May. That sucks.

I just re-read Sinclair's letter. Given the circumstances he's either dishonest or incompetent. Which is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    Perhaps we could get some attention from the mobile phone and palm web pages and blogs. Some headlines pointing to the fact that Palm failed to deliver on their promises, and are pushing a new phone out w/o fixing the old one may lite a fire under palm's butts.
    This would have been best way to get palm to address the issue back when the 700 first hit the shelves... I remember when the 650 first came out it got good reviews, but the memory issue was mentioned on all the tech sites... So palm had no choice but to address the issue... As a result the rom update was released rather fast & they gave away 128mb sd cards for your troubles...

The 700p is different, because if you don't read any of the treo forums you would never know the 700p problems exist, until after you have purchased it... Its like Palms dirty lil secret... IMO it seems like Palm is trying to sweep this one under the rug...

So if I were a 700p user I would dump it off on eBay before the 755 hits the streets & hurts my resale value...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast