1.    #1  
    Hi

I must be a relative rarity - new 650 user - but I have been using Palm PDAs for 6 years. I have become proficient with Graffiti and am missing it on the 650. Just wanted to hear from other treologians who have migrated from Graffiti to keyboard because suspect the keyboard is ultimately better o'wise it wouldn't be on every model. So..........should I persist with the (currently slower, more annoying) keyboard or install a Graffiti application (if so which?). Realise that the choice is not binary but you get the idea.........

Also keyboarding tips? I find that the top of the unit tips backwards when typing because the keyboard is set so low. Do people find they normally use both hands? Finally - can one set a key for "new" in Tasks or do you need to thumb the "new" on the screen? Seems crazy to need to use wand and keyboard.

Good wishes

Fundoctor
    Bristol UK
    i too am an old fashioned user of an old treo (650) and i love the old fashioned stylish manner of graffiti text input and mobilewrite which is downloadable under http://www.inkmarksoftware.com/page2.html does the job and gives me the best of both worlds. the thumbpad is no doubt very practical, but there's nothing like graffitying.
    I've used Palm since my teens. When I started using the 650 a few years ago, I didn't think I'd ever get used to not using the Graffiti. After a couple weeks, I never touched the screen except to jump to links or highlight things faster. The 5-way and keyboard are much easier to use and I can't remember the last time I took my stylus out.

KeyCaps helps typing speed by eliminating the need to press the "shift" or "option" key for caps and symbols. And, I only use one hand, but my hands are very small...
    this keycaps is not bad. thanks for pointing it out. my old tungstenW has one of the functions by default and i missed it on my treo650
    Being an old-school Palm user, I prefer to use Graffiti. I use TealScript by TealPoint Software.
    Kenji
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    ... When I started using the 650 a few years ago, I didn't think I'd ever get used to not using the Graffiti. After a couple weeks, I never touched the screen except to jump to links or highlight things faster. The 5-way and keyboard are much easier to use and I can't remember the last time I took my stylus out.

KeyCaps helps typing speed by eliminating the need to press the "shift" or "option" key for caps and symbols. And, I only use one hand, but my hands are very small...
    My experience is the same. However I use two hands/thumbs, with the index fingers clamping the Treo near the top. I use the index finger-nail for occaisional screen access and stylus only for specific programs.

Another useful program which facilitates text selection using the 5-way is FieldPlus

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/fieldplus.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    My experience is the same. However I use two hands/thumbs, with the index fingers clamping the Treo near the top. I use the index finger-nail for occaisional screen access and stylus only for specific programs.

Another useful program which facilitates text selection using the 5-way is FieldPlus

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/fieldplus.shtml
    If I put my Treo in both hands and try to type using my thumbs, my index fingers (including my long nails) don't even reach the top of the Treo...
    Ah I remember my boss going back and forth with the older treo's on voicestream before deciding on the keyboard model...
    I can never go back to graffitti......
    Actually I use Jot with a stylus and my keyboard. I find jot to be much more attractive than Grafitti as it almost mimics the regular alphabet. It can be found at www.cic.com and it is not overly expensive.
    I have a similar experience... Installed GraffitiAnywhere at first when switched to a Treo 650... Then uninstalled it after a few months, since never used it beyond for testing purpose.

I've used Palm since my teens. When I started using the 650 a few years ago, I didn't think I'd ever get used to not using the Graffiti. After a couple weeks, I never touched the screen except to jump to links or highlight things faster. The 5-way and keyboard are much easier to use and I can't remember the last time I took my stylus out.

If I put my Treo in both hands and try to type using my thumbs, my index fingers (including my long nails) don't even reach the top of the Treo...
    Hey Christina, what a coincidence that you mention this the same day I saw this guy experiencing a similar problem...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by loyukfai View Post
    I have a similar experience... Installed GraffitiAnywhere at first when switched to a Treo 650... Then uninstalled it after a few months, since never used it beyond for testing purpose.
    I thought I'd be lost without Graffiti when I got my 650 and searched everywhere for a good app, but after about a week I found it was completely unneccessary and ended my search...

Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    Hey Christina, what a coincidence that you mention this the same day I saw this guy experiencing a similar problem...
    LOL!! It's not THAT bad! Where do find this stuff???