Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    While on vacation, I bought a SIM card in Thailand for use with my Palm Treo 680. It worked fine; and as usual, the battery drained overnight.

Then I went to Tokyo, and since there is no GSM network there like the rest of the world, I switched the phone off.

Three days later, it still had nearly a full charge.

Coincidence? Important info? Already figured this out?

Let me know...

I don't understand the point. If I turn off my 680, it will last days and days, as I've posted since I first received the phone (the first two weeks of which I wasn't home and every time I phoned home, my wife would say, "your new phone just won't run down.") I don't think anyone (except perhaps DIG) has complained about the phone not lasting when its not being used. The problem is that it dies as soon as you start seriously using it.
    phone radio off means much less power demand. Plus, no chance of the glen phenomenon. I would say it is probably expected that you will have nearly a full charge after three days, and I would add that if your 680 normally drains overnight (unless you are a heavy user) that you may be a victim of the glen phenomenon.
    Ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I don't understand the point. If I turn off my 680, it will last days and days, as I've posted since I first received the phone (the first two weeks of which I wasn't home and every time I phoned home, my wife would say, "your new phone just won't run down.") I don't think anyone (except perhaps DIG) has complained about the phone not lasting when its not being used. The problem is that it dies as soon as you start seriously using it.
    To clarify, I did not 'complain about the phone not lasting when it is not being used' (implying the phone radio off based on your post). I never bother with that setting because it isnt much of a smart phone if it isnt capable of sending/receiving calls. I have always been talking about the drain rate in standby with phone radio on, which I believe is a source of many peoples problems (possibly apart from very heavy users like you). I do believe that the variable drain rates many light to moderate users experience are due to a GSM activity related bug, and I think the glen phenomenon is the culprit.
    Ha!
    what ha? ha what?
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    what ha? ha what?
    Very bad palindrome. Try this: Ah Ha!
    ohoho!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Ah. I guess what I meant --which is weird-- and probably an anomaly: I am now with my home GSM service, if I turn off the phone, it still dies overnight (I recall...). Heck, it dies if don't even use it.

But not in Tokyo. Weird???

Oh yeah, I need help on this "glen phenomenon" (?), and a fix, if there is a real one... besides buying something else...

Quote Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
    ...Heck, it dies if don't even use it.
    Ha!
    Check this thread for the current info on TGP, and it includes a link to another forum (my treo) with additional info.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138460