Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    http://operawatch.com/news/2007/04/o...-the-palm.html

This is some great news, hopefully we can download it to current devices when it is available.
    That is good news. Being a newbie...I was all excited about downloading Opera Mini onto my 680. I was less than excited when I found that I couldn't make it work....

Oh well...
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    That is good news. Being a newbie...I was all excited about downloading Opera Mini onto my 680. I was less than excited when I found that I couldn't make it work....

Oh well...
    I've got opera mini working great on my 680.
    I have Opera Mini running great on my 700p. It really makes Blazer look like a pile of crap.

So what are the main differences between Opera Mini and Opera Mobile? Is it just going to run without the need of Java?
    As one of the first commenter's mentioned, they may be talking about Palm's WM products.

Surur
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    As one of the first commenter's mentioned, they may be talking about Palm's WM products.

Surur
    According to this article on palmaddicts, this is for the palm os

05/04/2007
    Opera Mobile is coming to Palm

operalogo.gif Best.News.Ever.

For years I have begged, pleaded, and sacrificed small animals in hopes that I might live to see Opera on my Palm OS.

(Yes we’ve already got Opera Mini, which is good, but requires the Java VM. It has also been unstable for me on my Treo 650.)

Today OperaWatch is announcing the following:

(Quote) Opera 9 is coming to Palm

Good news to all of you Palm OS users. The Opera Mobile browser is coming to Palm.

Palm signed an agreement with Opera in which it will include the Opera browser in its upcoming Palm products. The browser will be based on the Opera 9 rendering engine.

Palm hasn’t yet announced on which products it will install the Opera Mobile browser. Its most popular product (at least here in the US) is the Palm Treo handheld phone.

The Opera Mobile browser is already available for the Treo Smartphones [only the ones running Windows Mobile], however users must download it manually. The free Opera Mini browser is also available for the Palm.

(Endquote)

The Palm browser (“Web” aka “Blazer”) is awful and has had no significant upgrades for years. The addition of Opera Mobile will make web browsing on Palm OS much, much better.

One can only ask: What took them so long?

I can only hope — and by hope I mean please please pretty please for the love of all that is good — that those of us with older Palm Treos (like the 650) will be able to download and use Opera Mobile for Palm once it is available.

POSTED BY TjL, Associate Writer, Ohio, USA
    Which is basically saying the same thing. Recently Opera has been boasting of the inroads it made into the windows mobile market, and is currently shipping as the default browser on some HTC devices. The WM Treo's are made by HTC. and may be included in the deal.

Surur
    Yup. There is nothing there that indicates this is for Palm OS. It could just mean that Treo WM Smartphones will now ship with Opera on them instead of you having to download it separately. It may mean that they are doing something specific for Treo WM Smartphones to distinguish it from the generic WM Opera versions. I can't see Opera putting time into developing a native Palm OS5 app at this point. I think the "Quote" on PalmAddicts was just wishful thinking.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    A big, fat barf from me. Opera stinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    A big, fat barf from me. Opera stinks.
    I don't see anything special about it either.