Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    EDIT: I am glad to let you know that this application has been released (version 1.0) and can find here:Finger Painter 1.0

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7...lmgear2ld1.png
    http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6...ndscapetq2.jpg

Hello all,

To take break from Palm realistic simulators development (Lunar Lander and Space Docking simulators...see my signature below if you are interested).

Anyway I have to decided to work on a fun application for kids called "Finger Painter". As the name imply, it allow young kids (or adults still young at heart!) to paint with their fingers. You can even use more than one fingers to draw on the screen ( poor man multi-touch!) . it actually makes better looking shapes if you use two fingers an move them around each other on the screen.

This of course is only version 0.1 so they maybe some issues with it and that is why I will be grateful to any of you who wish to contribute bugs report/ideas/improvements.

Check out the prc application attached (and the animated screen shot).

Thank you very much for all the support I got this last few years from this great board.

Mo.

SimToGo.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I'll definitely try this out...what a great idea!
    It seems to run fine from my SD card, which was the most important thing. . .

Good job, can you incorporate some of the features of MS Paint, like different colored pens, saving as .jpg (to SD card), and different sized pen tips? That would be fantastic.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Perfect timing for me to try it out with my kids -- we've got a 13 hour drive coming up next week. Thanks momob, we'll try it out.
  5.    #5  
    Hello guys,

@Christinac130: Thank you so much and let me know if you have any issue with it.

@Tony: Hey nice to hear from you again. I am hoping to add SD card save and many other options. Still I want to keep this app as easy as possible since it is after all targeted to young kids!

@Jaharr: Perfect! Let me know what the kids like and dislike and I will try my best to change the app accordingly.

A user reported a soft reset issue (when clicking on the painting on the splash screen)?? So far it has been tested on a my T650/TC and some other people T600 and Zodiac. The user in question has a T3. Anybody with a T3 around? Also if you have tried, I will be grateful if you could drop a note here (or PM) with your device (I am assuming a Treo but most of us PDA "crazy" people have more than one Palm!!

Enjoy.

Mo.
    SimToGo

ps: The app should work with most Palm and Treo (Palm OS) including the Treo 600 (low res)
    momob,

My kids (2 and 5) love it and it's really easy, they can even delete and start over all by themselves. I second Tony's request for more color choices. I'm using it on a 650 and 680.

Thanks again!
  7.    #7  
    Delete paintings by themselves ...WOW!!

Yes I am trying not to make too complicated but I will definitely improve on the color choices and so on. Just need a little time. Thank you so much for making your kids "suffer" thru my little app and tell them that they have the appreciation of a small Palm developer!

Take care.

Mo.
    SimToGo
  8.    #8  
    EDIT: People with Zodiac's encountered issue with "brush 4". Here a new version 0.21 that fix that issue. Treo/Palm should be able to work with both 0.2 and 0.21. The attached file is now version 0.21

Hello to all.

Here version 0.2 of the app. In 0.2 I introduce the concept of "brushes". You will notice a popup (brush) menu in the canvas window. Each number correspond to a specific brush type. For instance brush 0 is what version 0.1 had. The other are new and I will let you (or your child) experiment with them. I will probably will give them name or icons instead of number in the final version. Also the final version will have better UI in regards to brush selections as well as more brushes (#color style and size). I probably should add an eraser as well!

Of course it will be 5-ways compatible.

Let me know what you thing when you get a chance.

Thanks and enjoy.

Mo.

SimToGo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by momob View Post
    Let me know what you thing when you get a chance.Thanks and enjoy.
    Forget about just being for kids!!!

This is great fun, really suits my level of artistic aptitude - throw paint on canvas, smear it around!! Having said that, it wont be me who initiates the thread devoted to the greatest masterpieces of Finger Painter art, but Im sure it wont be long before some more proficient dauber does.

thanks Mo!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  10.    #10  
    Hello TRgEOff

I agree with you! I catch myself enjoying playing with this thing! It is kind of relaxing in way moving fingers around the screen waiting for that perfect "masterpiece"!!...Ok I need to go back to work, this app is not going to develop by itself.

A finger painting contest/show? Why not. I will need to implement a way to save the paintings to SD card so it could be move to the PC (or maybe simply being able to email from the Treo...)

Thanks again for your kind words.

Mo.

SimToGo
  11.    #11  
    Hello,

Ok, here version 0.3 It has the following changes:

1- A palette with different patterns to choose from (see attached image)

2- An "Eraser" (see top left of the palette)

Of course you can open the palette by clicking on the icon left of the "delete" button.

That's it for now. The next version will have a 5-ways button controls.

Enjoy and please let me know if you see anything strange (include your device type if you can).

Take care.

Mo.
    SimToGo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This one is a lot better. Played with each of the brushes and everything works.

Ben
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by momob View Post
    Hello,

Ok, here version 0.3 It has the following changes:

1- A palette with different patterns to choose from (see attached image)

2- An "Eraser" (see top left of the palette)
    Wow Mo, wow thats one crazy palette! It really does work well to release one's uninhibited, non-judgemental inner artist.

I have question about the Delete function. I imagined it would just cancel the picture I am currently working on. For me, however, it also deletes the previously saved picture. While its definitely good to have some way of doing that, it doesn't seem the most logical way.

Also, it would be great to have the equivalent of a "save as" function so that one could build up a picture in layers..

...and then there's the zoomable canvas idea....

hehe, you'll need two apps soon, a kid version and a kid-at-heart one too.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Thanks mo! It's working great on the 650 and 680...
  15.    #16  
    @geoff: Thanks! Yes I was drinking orange juice when I was setting up the palette!! I am working on changing the "delete" button to "clear". The delete button has been move to the load/new window. A grown-up version? (hum...)

@Christinac130. You are very welcome. Thank you so much for trying it.

I will release 0.4 as soon as I can.

Mo.
    A drawing program that mimics the 'draw' function on MSN Messenger would be great. Images are created as vectors, but look freehand so it's very easy to create smooth clear piccies. Also the file sizes are tiny (which is why MSN uses vectors I guess)
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  17.    #18  
    Hello CheckMate.

Thanks for your info. I am not familiar with MSN "draw" but I agree that "vector" based graphics will take less space. "Finger Painter" currently saves the paintings to RAM. I am hoping to add eventually a "save to card" feature which should help a little since card usually has much more space than the device itself. Your idea of vector based graphics is a good one. I may also go to that at one point.

Thanks again for your comments.

Mo.
  18.    #19  
    Hello to all,

Here version 0.4 The main changes are:

1- The addition of "pen colors". If you choose a pen size from the palette, the canvas window will display a "color" icon on top right of the palette icon. If click on that new icon (start as black box) then you will be taken to a color selection window. Once there you can either select a color from the color palette or make your own (select RGB mode).

2- Now the load/save window show the amount taken by the paintings (count about 65K per painting)

3- It is possible to clear the current painting without deleting the previously saved one. Simply click on "Clear". If you really want to delete a painting, you now need to go back to the load/save window (which list the all the paintings) and then select the painting and hit "Delete"

4 - I made the random shape/colors mode as an option. You can either paint with the brush pattern selected as is or add on top the random color/shape. To do that just select "Enable Random Colors" checkbox in the brush pattern window.

That's it for now. I will be curious to see if this version still work Ok after all the change I made to it.

The 5-ways I am affraid may have to wait a little longer (before 1.0 release but not sure yet). I have the feeling that kids may not be too interested about 5-ways controls with this type of app but I could be very wrong. In any event, I want to make sure this app is stable before releasing it. So thank you very much for your support.

Enjoy!

Mo.
    SimToGo.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Hi Mo

All seems to work fine for me - keep drinking that OJ! I like the extra scope for fine work that the huge color palette gives you together with the line brushes. Only weakness I find, for fine work, is that the line-brushes only give a nice clean line if used in the purely up or down angles. Any other and you get thick jagged lines or lines of ovals. Great effects too, but nice to be able to disengage them as desired.

Even as an adult I dont hanker for the 5way capability.

PS I must check out your Lunar Module sim one day. In the very early 70s I spent several school holidays cooped up inside a near full size model of the first one, operating it as a kids ride in a big shopping mall. I must have seen Armstrong's giant 'leap" more times than any other living being (except for addicts of your Sim perhaps!)
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast