View Poll Results: Had Palm disclosed potential 700p Bluetooth,Lag,MP3 Skip,SMS freeze & Support issues:

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would've passed and stayed with what I had, or at least waited until a firmware fix was released.

74 71.84%
  • I would've bought the 700p anyway.

29 28.16%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm not sure this poll is valid.... I haven't had any of the above problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Shadowmite,

I remember compating at the 700p's specs to the 650's when it came out and was given the impression that, although they have the same clock speed, the 700p has a different model of processor than that of the 650.
    It does, but it's not a major change, it's a driver away from the same thing. It simply has some onboard memory and it otherwise identical to the 650 cpu.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite View Post
    The problem arose from A) EVDO, and B) I'm guessing they are trying to DRM the rom update if you will. The 650 turned into a custom rom nightmare from their standpoint and they might be trying to prevent that.
    Shadowmite: Do you mean to say they are trying to make it more difficult to hack/customize the 700p ROM?

I recall your brilliant work with the 650 (BT DUN, etc) and used it throughout the time I had it. It makes me regret trading up to the 700p.
    the only reason I bought this and left my i500 was for the messaging problems. Whatever Sprint did to their system, I was no longer getting #'s for incoming messages. I receive way too many messages from different people (work and dating hell) to try and get everyone to send msgs to my #@messaging.sprintpcs.com. The only benefit I've realized from the 700p is the EVDO. I have a 6700 coming I bought on ebay for $200 (dope had it listed as a Sanyo phone). So I'll play with that for awhile and see what the HTC s720 looks like when it hits or maybe the 6800.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Well, I loved my i500 too, but I couldn't be happier with the switch. Even if they had come out with the i550 we all wanted, it wouldn't have had EVDO, no Slingbox, bad resolution.... wouldn't have been able to do media like this phone...the ONLY thing I miss about the i500 is the form factor....and I miss that a lot.
    well that's where there is different strokes for different folks. I always thought I'd do all this media and extraneous stuff, but I ultimately use it for work which for PIM apps and such, the i5 did very well, and it was a great phone. I used aol's program and yahoo's wap site for email and Agendus for my PIM. The rest is just fluff for me. I appreciate the faster surfing, and I'd love to say I appreciate the BT headsets, but it has created more headaches, and I find myself back to my Plantronics corded set more often than not due to the fact that I can't afford to miss or drop work calls. If it wasn't for the messaging, I'd still be with it. But I do see all the pros for all the media features and such. I'd like to be able to stream sirius actually. Probably would be the one media feature I would make use of. Part of me starts looking at the Q too as I've heard Motorola has actually been responsive with firmware updates. So time will tell. Still won't buy another Palm again or at most, won't be an early adopter of one.

Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Well, I loved my i500 too, but I couldn't be happier with the switch. Even if they had come out with the i550 we all wanted, it wouldn't have had EVDO, no Slingbox, bad resolution.... wouldn't have been able to do media like this phone...the ONLY thing I miss about the i500 is the form factor....and I miss that a lot.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I waited on tranitioning from the treo 300 to the 600 until the hotfix was out. I did not purchase a 650 because I didn't feel I needed it. I wanted the EVDO speed of the 700p, and I trusted that a hotfix for the existing problems would have been out in a timeframe after initial release that was similar to the 600 and 650, but Palm has definitely dissapointed me in not providing an upgrade (even if it was one that did not work 100%). I definitely expected Bluetooth to work much better than it did. If a disclosure was made, and forum members had come up with acceptable workarounds, I probably still would have bought the 700p, but I would then be much happier that way in making an informed decision rather than getting hoodwinked by Palm.

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
    I would definitely have hung on to the 650 until a firmware update. The 700p is a horrid mp3 player compared to the 650.

My 650 on Sprint had the same "brain-damaged" multiple call interface. I think the "bug" affects only Sprint (or maybe CDMA?) treos. But nevertheless, Palm/Sprint should have fixed it with the 700p.
    The treo 300 had this same braindead feature. I think that's what they mean when they say the treo has an interface like nobody else's! :=)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12