Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I write this with a BIG DISCLAIMER: This is a rant and is only targeted towards us Verizon users. Sprint folk, you are free to read the following but please refrain of "fanboyism"... we are already envious that you get the unlimited royal treatment with Sprint

So today reading Gizmodo I find out that Verizon finally comes out of the closet and admits the cap of their "unlimited" service

For those of you unfamiliar with the cap, it was long rumored that the unlimited data service was not in fact unlimited. If one user went over a certain limit (rumored to be in the GB range) their service would be terminated for breaching the Terms of Service (TOS) clearly stated in the contract Now it is finally official that if you go over 5GB a month, you are getting the boot...

Anyhow, add to this the fact that the 700p is as faulty as it can be. The only saving grace (for me at least) was the EVDO service, so now add to the fact there is no patch in the near future and now Verizon won't let us take full use of the 3G EVDO bandwagon, I think this just puts things in perspective and I have decided to jump ship to another carrier as soon as my contract allows me to (that will be June!). Yes, I won't pay an early termination fee on top of what they are already taking from me.
    Perhaps rather than the class action certain members seem to be urging, we should seek an injunction prohibiting Verizon from charging the early termination fee to those of us who wish to jump ship as a result of their misrepresentations concerning the bandwidth limit and the 700P problems. I'm a lawyer and am willing to try if there are enough interested people.
    As well, some carriers are willing to re-imburse you for switching over, if you have to pay the early termination fee -- either in a direct credit to your account or in an "additional" discount on your desired phone . . . . so you might be able to switch now. . . .

And did I not read rumors of Cingular going to offer significant savings to Verizon users switching to the iPhone. . . . . of course, that could have been just the birth of another urban legend. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    I write this with a BIG DISCLAIMER: This is a rant and is only targeted towards us Verizon users. Sprint folk, you are free to read the following but please refrain of "fanboyism"... we are already envious that you get the unlimited royal treatment with Sprint

So today reading Gizmodo I find out that Verizon finally comes out of the closet and admits the cap of their "unlimited" service

For those of you unfamiliar with the cap, it was long rumored that the unlimited data service was not in fact unlimited. If one user went over a certain limit (rumored to be in the GB range) their service would be terminated for breaching the Terms of Service (TOS) clearly stated in the contract Now it is finally official that if you go over 5GB a month, you are getting the boot...

Anyhow, add to this the fact that the 700p is as faulty as it can be. The only saving grace (for me at least) was the EVDO service, so now add to the fact there is no patch in the near future and now Verizon won't let us take full use of the 3G EVDO bandwagon, I think this just puts things in perspective and I have decided to jump ship to another carrier as soon as my contract allows me to (that will be June!). Yes, I won't pay an early termination fee on top of what they are already taking from me.

Sprint can now welcome all Verizon users to the world of Sprint. Sprint also allows one to use the data network from Alltell.. Verizon was too pricey anyway. Sprint also allows one to get the unlimited data for 1/2 the price for each user on the account(one master at full price). Also I was told that Sprint will now allow me to share up to 10 lines.
    Errr... Do you know anybody that has used more than 5GB in one month? That's a lot. I would think one would be hard pressed to do that with a 700p...I usually stream 48k audio for 30-60 minutes a day, some mobitv here and there, plus normal mail, browser and such and haven't used 5GB of data since I got this phone in August...
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    Errr... Do you know anybody that has used more than 5GB in one month? That's a lot. I would think one would be hard pressed to do that with a 700p...I usually stream 48k audio for 30-60 minutes a day, some mobitv here and there, plus normal mail, browser and such and haven't used 5GB of data since I got this phone in August...
    I'm inclined to agree. I've had mine since October. I download from youtube, surf the web a lot everyday, my email checks every 20 minutes from 9AM to 6PM, listen to NPR from time to time, and I use IM messaging. I have to assume I haven't reached 5 GB since they haven't terminated my contract.
    This was discussed in a Wall Street Journal article last autumn. Also noted in that article was Verizon's prohibition on using their network to say anything negative about them.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I can see one going over 5GB a month easily now with many streaming options available: Orb, MobiTV, Slingbox; online radio streaming, the list goes on. In a different thread somebody made a nice chart on how many hours of Slingbox one would need to go over 5GB limit... the numbers are not that farfetched.

So yes, 5GB is not something that easy to get, but I can certainly see somebody that travels a lot going over the limit when streaming all this fantastic content from so many nice sources... the curse of EVDO speeds in the 700p is real! Maybe Verizon will neuter the phone in the never coming ROM update to avoid such blatant disregard of their rules ?
    Last edited by waldo15; 04/04/2007 at 06:39 PM.
    I'm not sure about the 5gb because I use my phone all the time and I rather pay more for good service than pay less for a weaker one. Sprint service sucks you couldn't pay me to use a sprint phone I wouldn't care if they gave you a million minutes for ten bucks its point less if you can't use it
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    I can see one going over 5GB a month easily now with many streaming options available: Orb, MobiTV, Slingbox; online radio streaming. In a different thread somebody made a nice chart on how many hours of Slingbox one would need to go over 5GB limit... the numbers are not that farfetched.
    Well, obviously it's not impossible as the post shows, but I don't know, even after seeing that chart, I would still tend to think most people would be hard pressed to pull this off. Even at the "medium" setting, the slingbox would require you to stream for almost 29 hours at 384kps to reach 5GB, and that's if you could actually sustain a 384kps stream the whole time. I don't know if 29 hours is considered a short period of time by some, but that seems like at lot of time per month to be watching tv on that small screen... I'm sure the bitrate of mobitv and such are quite a bit lower. Have you ever taken a look at what your broadband service lists as limits on their service (not that I've ever heard of someone being shut off for abusing it)? Theoretically, my Cox service is limited at 4GB down/ 1GB up (the next level up is 40/10)...

My point is not to support Verizon here for their actions, but there should be some perspective regarding what they consider excessive. If you are actually going over, you really need to find something else to be doing with your time...
    The data limit becomes a bigger issue if you use a program like PDAnet to connect your Treo to a laptop in EVDO coverage. Connecting that way, you could go over 5GB in one night using Bittorrent. But clearly, that's not what most people are going to do.

Its all alot of anti-Verizon silliness. I've yet to meet a real, live person who has received a letter from Verizon threatening termination because of their data use on the unlimited plans - and I know some pretty extreme users...
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I was required to switch from Sprint (and $10 unlimited everything) to Verizon last December because of the lack of Sprint coverage in one area that I frequent. It was very painful indeed. However, I remember reading in the TOS the prohibition on streaming and a data max per month. Now I'm not one to scour and dig up all the little tidbits in a service contract. It simply caught my eye as I was scanning over the print on screen in front of me.

I'm sure most of you will find the same when you look at your contracts. Does it suck? Most definitely. However, it's a far cry from being a rumor or - as insinuated - a dirty little secret.

Sprint has (had?) similar complaints from users when they discovered they couldn't hook their Treos up to their computers and DUN to thei heart's content.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    The data limit becomes a bigger issue if you use a program like PDAnet to connect your Treo to a laptop in EVDO coverage. Connecting that way, you could go over 5GB in one night using Bittorrent. But clearly, that's not what most people are going to do.

Its all alot of anti-Verizon silliness. I've yet to meet a real, live person who has received a letter from Verizon threatening termination because of their data use on the unlimited plans - and I know some pretty extreme users...
    In EVDOforums.com there are VZW users who got a warning letter and some of them had their account terminated. Last time I checked there those who got them were using an EVDO PCMCIA card in their laptop. So far I haven't seen a Treo user who got into trouble.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    So, lets say a Verizon user wanted to have thier contract cancelled but didnt want to pay the ETF.... If said user did something like....continually stream XM radio for days at a time would it be possible to exceed the Verizon data "limit" and have Verizon give them the boot? therefore avoiding the ETF and being free of Verizon's contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by stayfly View Post
    I'm not sure about the 5gb because I use my phone all the time and I rather pay more for good service than pay less for a weaker one. Sprint service sucks you couldn't pay me to use a sprint phone I wouldn't care if they gave you a million minutes for ten bucks its point less if you can't use it
    If you have good service in your area and place of business there is only one solution...Sprint for me. Verizon's network is good and they know it so they are not as generous as Sprint. Competition is good for the consumer and as long as Verizon is unmatched by Sprint in network coverage they will bleed their customers and get away with it.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    So, lets say a Verizon user wanted to have thier contract cancelled but didnt want to pay the ETF.... If said user did something like....continually stream XM radio for days at a time would it be possible to exceed the Verizon data "limit" and have Verizon give them the boot? therefore avoiding the ETF and being free of Verizon's contract?
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe you wanted to buy a Slingbox anyway?

As stated by someone above, the bigger issue is that this also applies to a person with an EVDO card in his laptop. Those users are under the same terms. I read the contract and it even states that viewing streaming video is prohibited from any source except for VCast. Also prohibited would be things such as purchasing and downloading digital content - like say maybe movies or even songs from Apple via iTunes. They won't disconnect you from doing any one specifcally but if the total adds up to over 5GB you are done. Ever download a one hour .avi file? Even with that compression it is about a 750 MB file. Download 7 of them in a month and you are already over.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I don't understand why people rave about the VZW network. Sprint roams with both voice and data (albeit on 1xRTT) on VZW. If there is no Sprint signal but there is a VZW signal, roaming (at no charge) allows you the best of both worlds. Now if the issue is an EVDO requirement then I can see why,but otherwise why pay $45/mo for data?

To be fair though the poster who stated that secondary lines are half price for data was incorrect. That ended last summer. He is also misinformed about sharing 10 lines on one plan. Only business accounts can do this. I am aware that there may be some who have this but it is exceedingly rare and if found in an audit of the account will almost certainly be changed. 5 lines is the max currently allowed to be shared on Consumer family plans.

As far as the 5GB limit and getting service cancelled, I believe the problem isn't the fact that they cancel your contract, but that they still require the subscriber to pay the ETF because it is a violation of the TOS.

I am an admitted Sprint "fanboy" but I figure I'm supposed to be...they feed my family.

Just my 2.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    I don't understand why people rave about the VZW network. Sprint roams with both voice and data (albeit on 1xRTT) on VZW. If there is no Sprint signal but there is a VZW signal, roaming (at no charge) allows you the best of both worlds. Now if the issue is an EVDO requirement then I can see why,but otherwise why pay $45/mo for data?

Just my 2.
    FYI- you dont always roam- I thought like you did but it's not the case.

In a nut shell I had sprint for probably 6or 7 years and then switched to VZ. There are plenty of fringe areas on sprints network were I couldn't get service- NO service at all. But on verizon I'm fine in those same areas. I assume sprint uses the PRL to keep you off the verizon towers in those areas. So you wont just switched to verizon if you have sprint if sprint "thinks" they have coverage in that area.

In the middle of nowhere where there just aren't sprint anyplace nearby yes you flip to VZ but not where sprint is supposed to have coverage.

Verizon service is better- hands down. The question people have to ask themselves would be "is sprints service "good enough" for the huge savings". For many years it was for us. But lately we just decided to go for the gusto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    I don't understand why people rave about the VZW network. Sprint roams with both voice and data (albeit on 1xRTT) on VZW. If there is no Sprint signal but there is a VZW signal, roaming (at no charge) allows you the best of both worlds.
    Is that a fact now? I was a Sprint customer for about 6 years but had to switch to VZW when I started spending a lot of time in more rural territory with no Sprint coverage. If you could provide a link with more information that confirms this I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast