Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    as above it's likely not a fact (unless things have changed recently).

one might imply it to be a fact (i did for years and years) because:

a) you can get unlimited roaming options/plans from sprint
    b) the only national cdma networks are sprint and vz- so logically to roam from sprint you basically need to use vz. And to roam from vz you need to use sprint.

BUT- the whole point of the PRL lists is to tell the phone what to do in any given area and clearly the PRL is limiting things so either 1) verizon limits which towers sprint phones can connect to- OR 2) sprint limits what verizon towers they allow their users to connect to in order to save them the fees they need to pay verizon for their customers use.

It could be either 1 or 2- sprint might be cheap (and rightly so if that enables them to keep their prices so much lower) or perhaps verizon wants to be just that little bit better than sprint so they limit the use.

I live halfway between NYC and Philly- so a little 'sparse' maybe but far from rural. Verizon around here and NYC area is just a bit better. Around these parts sprints network is almost the same as VZW- but it's not exactly the same. There's a few dead spots on sprint that just dont exist for VZW. In NYC vz's 800mhz signal does a much better job penetrating things than sprints 1900. For example with vz you can get service herald square subway station on the platform 4 levels down if you stay by the stairway. Sprint would die around the first or second level. My friend is a lucent vp who handles verizon's account- I asked him if perhaps it was VZ had an antenna or minicell or something in that station- he explained no one has anything in the subways yet as the city is trying to bid the whole system. So he explained it's just that the 800mhz signal propagates better then the 1900 from sprint.

I do wonder though if putting sprint pcs on all the nextel towers might be making a major improvement in the last year or so.
    This thread tells all about it and provides links to Hofo and SU thread discussions about it.

http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...d.php?t=131109
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Those threads just say that you can now data roam. I still dont see anything that says you can universally roam on verizon anywhere when the sprint signal is subpar- i might just be a cynic but I still dont believe anytime anyplace that there's a verizon signal that a sprint phone will roam on it. (the treocentral thread does seem to say that OP usually couldn't dial out on sprint form his house and now he can roam on vz- that's the sort of situation that would be great- fringe service areas of sprint were the places that it's annoying- the sprint service wasn't rock solid yet it wouldn't let you roam- so maybe they now have fixed it?)

Can you aim me to some evidence that says you can always roam on VZ anywhere? If so I'm done with VZ and back to sprint in a flash. Sprint would hands down be the **** kicker service of all time. Great prices and the best coverage.
    I never said anytime and anyplace. That thread says what I know....VZW is a roaming partner. So is Alltel. I don't know what the priority is as that is coded by the PRL.

Take a look at www.Sprint.com and chaeck out the coverage map. The green areas are where you can do voice and Data. Compare that to VZW's coverage map.

If you really want to know aska friend who has Sprint or try it yourself for 30 days. If it works for you you could then port your number to Sprint. If not return the phone and cancel service.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    I never said anytime and anyplace. That thread says what I know....VZW is a roaming partner. So is Alltel. I don't know what the priority is as that is coded by the PRL.

Take a look at www.Sprint.com and chaeck out the coverage map. The green areas are where you can do voice and Data. Compare that to VZW's coverage map.

If you really want to know aska friend who has Sprint or try it yourself for 30 days. If it works for you you could then port your number to Sprint. If not return the phone and cancel service.
    to be honest if I dont KNOW that you can roam on vz anytime it's needed then it's too much effort to bother signing up and trying and porting etc. I'll suck it up and get ripped off by VZ for the time being. I don't have any friends on sprint anymore actually so I can't ask anyone- when I had sprint probably the majority of the 20ish people with cellular I called all the time had sprint but just as I moved to vz it seems everyone else did also. One of the group has cingulair/ATT because he's a NYC cop and they get some deal but beyond that everyone I know has VZ because the service was just a bit better around here.

FYI- the problem isn't the coverage maps- I'm in NJ- both vz and sprint say the cover essentially every inch of the state- the problem is the real world in between cells- the fringe areas. There are times on sprint where you would have a bar or a bar that comes and goes and you couldn't reliably place a call- or maybe small deadspots here and there (not huge but the bottom of a hill someplace or something) But in those very same areas VZ is fine- so we should have been allowed to roam with sprint but for whatever reason the phones just don't roam.

For my business that small percentage of it just works everywhere is worth the outrageous charges- and considering VZ is pretty successful -I suppose many other people also think that the extra bit of coverage is worth the cost.
    I too would switch in a heartbeat if I KNEW you would ALWAYS roam on to VZW. I'm sure that's why it ain't so...

They REAM us because the product is better; problem is it's such a deep difference in cost that we feel really raped on VZW and so are hunting for any real reason to switch that won't materially affect service utility.

When I hear that I can hold a call on the NJT system all the way into Manhattan, I'm gone to Sprint. Problem is I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon....;-(

Roam well, all.

David
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12