Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok so I was given a 650 (broke medical student here) which had not been used for a little while. When I put in a charged battery the palm one screen comes on, shows the horizontal progress bar and then when it finished is sort of blinks and then just shows a grey screen with a dark thin bar across the top blinking and the lights behind the keyboard just blink on and off. I've tried every kind of reset I have found and nothing makes any difference.

Any ideas? Is it about time to give up?

Adam
    Have you tried updating it with an appropriate official updater from the Palm website?
  3.    #3  
    Well, I'm actually missing the usb connection to do so. I guess I need to go get one. None of the keys work however on the phone while its flashing dont know if that would make a difference in the process or not.
    Sorry, I'm new to the treo's in general as well. I guess I could pick up a usb connector for the treo at a local electronics store? Is that even what I need?
    Quote Originally Posted by adamcanion View Post
    Well, I'm actually missing the usb connection to do so. I guess I need to go get one. None of the keys work however on the phone while its flashing dont know if that would make a difference in the process or not.
    Sorry, I'm new to the treo's in general as well. I guess I could pick up a usb connector for the treo at a local electronics store? Is that even what I need?
    There are alternatives to updating with a USB cable... Maybe from an SD card, but for that somebody else would have to help out... (I'm not too sure about the procedure).

A Treo USB cable would probably be less expensive from eBay or something...
  5.    #5  
    On the updater from Palm there are 3 versions and not being able to get the phone on I dont know how to determien the version I need. Any ideas? They offer:
    Treo650-X.XX-CNB
    Treo650-X.XX-CNG
    Treo650-X.XX-CNA
    On the updater from Palm there are 3 versions and not being able to get the phone on I dont know how to determien the version I need. Any ideas? They offer:
    Treo650-X.XX-CNB
    Treo650-X.XX-CNG
    Treo650-X.XX-CNA
    If you have a Cingular, go with the CNG.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    What you need is a miracle. (Or a good MLT.)
    I don't know how you would update it using the SD card method without being able to access the home screen to see what's on the card. You can get a USB cable at some of the local electronics stores or at a Cingular store. The Treo accessory selection at local retailers in my area are pretty slim...

To be honest, it doesn't sound too hopeful that updating the ROM would work. Possibly if Miracle Max were around to help...
  9.    #9  
    Hmm, so this sounds pretty bad, eh?
    I'll see about getting a treo usb and trying that....

Nice catch Widdy....
    Nice catch Widdy....
    So, what's the code? MLT? Didn't "get" it...
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    MLT = Mutton, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Have you tried this kind of reset?

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...m_External2001

Scroll down a little for the 650 procedure.
    Hmm, so this sounds pretty bad, eh?
    I'll see about getting a treo usb and trying that....

Nice catch Widdy....
    That is one of the best movies ever!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Widdy View Post
    Have you tried this kind of reset?

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...m_External2001

Scroll down a little for the 650 procedure.
    Just tried it. It seems to me (in my limited knowledge and understanding) that for some reason its not really fully powering up or something? Like in the instructions for those resets, the first logo appears (palmone with the horizontal bar) but the second logo never appears. Right after the horizontal bar finished moving it sort of blinks (screen, led, keypad) and then the continuous keypad flashing and grey screen.

This is starting to sound bad isn't it?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Are you sure the battery is fully charged?
    Have you tried it with the A/C adaptor plugged in?
  16.    #16  
    Hah, well believe it or not I dont have the AC adapter either. My friend had it just sitting in his closest and doesn't have the A/C adapter, hotsync, even missing the stylis (sp?). So yeah I'm going to have to get all of those for it, but I was hoping I could get it working before investing the money for those things.

As far as the battery though, we charged it in his charger and it was completely full.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    "If we only had a wheelbarrow, that would be something."

If the battery has been sitting for a long time, it may not be any good.
  18.    #18  
    "Hey, you just moved your head, doesn't that make you happy?"

Ah, if only it could be that simple! I'll see if I can get by the cingular store and see if they can let me try a different battery. Would a bad battery allow it to go through that initial screen and continue to flash afterwards?
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    If you "get" the MLT and wheelbarrow reference, you will enjoy this.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by darjay View Post
    If you "get" the MLT and wheelbarrow reference, you will enjoy this.
    Hah, that was great, if I ever get my treo up and running I'll use it for my ring tone!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast