Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I bought the tuner version of slingbox but I had such a hard time deciding what one to get. I feel I could do more with the av but I liked the idea not having a tv on for it. just like to hear some others opinions.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    oh and anyone in massachusetts. Danvers Compusa going out of business. 25% off slingbox.
    Classic has tuner & av capabilities. Works great for me!
    I just got the pro version yesterday. I have analog cable (cable in), a SciAtlanta 8300 digital cable DVR (SVideo) and a ReplayTV unit (composite) connected simultaneously. I love the fact that I can remotely control both my DVR units through Sling. The beta Palm SlingPlayer isn't quite user friendly yet, but at least the video streaming is pretty good.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    tuner version of slingbox- only have analog cable and i bought it for $125 at the compusa going out of biz by my house
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    I bought the tuner version of slingbox but I had such a hard time deciding what one to get. I feel I could do more with the av but I liked the idea not having a tv on for it. just like to hear some others opinions.
    Hi

You don't need a teevee "on" to use the Slingbox AV (or "Classic" which is the one I have..) .. the only thing that needs to be ON is your digital cable box.. and you can turn THAT on and off WITH the Sling Player software, even from the other side of the country.. any version of the Player.. there's absolutely no requirement to have the teevee on at all..

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I got the Pro version, mainly because I wanted multiple inputs to connect various components and I wanted the HD video quality when watching it locally. I had the Classic, but sold it for $50 to a co-worker.
    Just bought the AV last week from Buy.com based on a post here, for $119. Arrived two days ago, had some problems with port forwarding, not from my router, but from my DSL modem which had outdated software. When I am in a good EVDO area, works great, but the coverage is a bit spotty and it will jerk and freeze on occasion. I wanted to be able to see my pay channels....and I have digital, not analog, cable, so the AV was the best choice for me.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    actually it appears the av is the better purchase. analog will not be available after 2009. Returning my tuner to get the av.
    Over the air broadcast TV will end in 2009, but the law doesn't affect analog cable tv. But at any rate, what are the odds you'll be using the sling still in 3 years?
    I got a Tuner. I'd hate to be in the middle of a show and then have to stop watching because the wife wants to watch something else. The tuner is absolutely independent of the TV. I can watch any channel while my wife watches another channel or a DVD. I'll never be interrupted.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    you don't need to share same station w/ av model. Simply hook it up to vcr and it will use that for tuner and you can record.
    I got the tuner model. I didn't want to have to tie up a cable box and the tuner model was easy to plug in next to my cable modem. No muss - no fuss.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I chose sling.pro because in time I will upgrade to HD,& it has its own tunner.It s kind of like getting 2 versions in one.I pd.$239.95,but now they re down to $.199.95.I think it s because they now have at least 2 direct compeitors.I have it on my laptop&treo 700p.It works ok on the laptop(could be better),the treo (palm os beta) has problems,not related to sling.or it s software,I believe it s issues have to do with weak signal strength/weak evdo area where i live.When I was in a strong signal/strong evdo area the problems(all 3)went away & it worked flawlessly for about 2 hrs. continuosly.
    Hope this helps, good luck ,indyalex