Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54
  1. #21  
    I totally understand the reason that some way to filter threads in this way would be useful. Maybe if the thread creator had the option of checking off a radio button that fell into one of several general terms such as "quality comment," "request for technical help," "problem discovered," etc then people could have a way of filtering down their searches/views by some way other than just searching for key words.

    Personally, I believe it was only by the voice of us "*****y loudmouths" in these forums that Palm finally admitted and then eventually addressed the Treo 650's major NVFS problems, battery life issues on several models, quality issues, etc. Palm certainly didn't figure it out on their own... otherwise they would have fixed it BEFORE their "release and deny" phase. If a dummy like me can see within minutes that there isn't the same apparent memory in the Treo 650, you wonder what the testers over at Palm were smoking over the months they tested it.

    Educating fellow users seems to be the whole point of these forums. Part of education is having an efficient method of narrowing down the subject you want to study. Before and after plopping down $650.00 on a cell phone, it's certainly important to most people at times to get as much information - good and bad - about the qualities of that device. Yeah, democratic forums get a bit of static at times, but in my experience they are mostly entertaining and generally informative even when they get a little repetitive or off-topic.

    Adding a filter gets my vote. Lumping any criticism into a "complaint ghetto" doesn't.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  2. eodell's Avatar
    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    To be honest with you, I don't think there are ALOT of complain threads. I was around here since the release of 650. There were always alot of complain threats. I used to defend Palm in alot of their cosmetic and engineering decisions, that's why I remember. I just don't do it anymore.

    Alot of long time Palm users don't do it anymore. There is a reason for it but I am not going to turn this post into a complain post. I am just saying.... go look around other UIQ/WM/BB/general gadget forums. You still can get help and answer alot faster on Treocentral.

    So, try to look at the glass half full angle.
    I have also been a Treo user since the 650, and owned and supported many Palm devices prior to that. I have to agree with those that suggest the 650 had better support from Palm.
  3. #23  
    I think the first few months that the 700p was out that there were many, what you are calling, constructive threads.

    A lot of those threads though eventually came to the conclusion that the issue being discussed was due to the firmware and could not be fixed by users. The only constructive thing that could be done was urge Palm to fix it. They haven't and so the urging keeps growing in intensity.

    I think this board is at the point where any issue that can be user fixed has aleady been documented on a thread & can be found via a Search. The only issues that are left are the ones that we are waiting on Palm to fix. So can anyone really be faulted for focusing on them? What else is there?

    The 650 had similar threads until Palm released the first patch. Then most of the threads were happy again. The same will happen when, or if, Palm ever releases an update.

    If you have some issue to talk about the 700p that can be constructively discussed then start a new thread about it. Just make sure to do a search first to make sure it has not been answered already.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  4. #24  
    I understand all sides of this conversation.

    The nature of the beast, is that any discussion forum skews towards the negative because it is where people come to solve issues they are having and spend time learning from others that use the same device.

    Palm users are a passionate and vocal family of users. We have a love/hate relationship with our devices and alot of the venting about this relationship goes on here.

    As Haroldo said 75% are satisfied users -- but you would never know it by the tone and volume of threads to the contrary. Just the nature of the beast.

    That all being said, I am satisfied with my 700P but not blown away by it. I give it a C+ at the moment. I accept it as an interim step between Garnet and the next PalmOS generation of Treos. The next generation has to multi-task, not lag, and not crash -- or Palm will have finally succeeded in closing the PPR.

    Cheers, Perry.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    As Haroldo said 75% are satisfied users -- but you would never know it by the tone and volume of threads to the contrary. Just the nature of the beast.

    That all being said, I am satisfied with my 700P but not blown away by it. I give it a C+ at the moment. I accept it as an interim step between Garnet and the next PalmOS generation of Treos. The next generation has to multi-task, not lag, and not crash -- or Palm will have finally succeeded in closing the PPR.

    Cheers, Perry.
    A very sane response from the PPR. http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3444/crazy1no.gif
  6. eodell's Avatar
    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    As Haroldo said 75% are satisfied users -- but you would never know it by the tone and volume of threads to the contrary. Just the nature of the beast.
    This is true, however, I might point out that for every person with a valid complaint about the 700p, there are likely several more who are silent. The 400 or so "power users" from this forum represent a much larger group who either dont have the time, motivation or know the means to complain.

    Interestingly I just did the online chat with Palm and got no answer beyond:

    "yes, we know there are issues"

    "the firmware is in testing"

    "it will be released in the coming weeks"
  7. #27  
    are we supposed to take this "survey" of yours seriously?!! "3/4 of Treo users are happy with the thing"??? Give me a break. Did you know that 2/3 of women find me irresitable too? The bottom line is there are problems with these Treos which Palm doesn't address. The keep releasing new phones that have very minimal "upgrades" & then charge full price. Nevermind the fact they did not fix the prior model! If Palm created phones as stable as Blackberries, then and ONLY then would all the whining, complaining, *****ing cease. < < edited by septimus > >
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 04/06/2007 at 03:00 PM.
  8. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #28  
    Why have multiple threads about the SAME FRIKIN COMPLAINTS. What are we solving, resolving by doing that? Boo-woo my BT doest work, my mp3's skip blah blah. Who frikin cares! Bottom line Palm has not done a thing to resolve it, and chances are they will not so give it a rest. I'd like to come to a forum and not see an influx of cry babies complaints drop valuable questions to then next 3 pages all because no one got a chance to see it among all the vents...
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    And I think the point you're missing is that nobody is saying you shouldn't be able to voice your opinion about that somewhere. While you guys are certainly not alone, there's no doubt that everyone is well aware of your feelings. Why not have a "special place" for you and Bob and others to vent as much as you want, and still have a forum for people who come wanting support? There is no question that the people with problems dominate the bandwidth here, while many people with few problems are only here to learn how to do things better. There are at least three other Treo-oriented forums, and none of them have this preponderance of negativity. Unfortunately, TC happens to be the best one for getting the highest level information, so that's where I prefer to go. What is it about having a "jeers" forum that you don't like? After all, as much as you hate it, most people are very satified with their devices.
    Um.....those of us who you claim are "whining" want exactly that, support. We have tried every other way we could to get it, nothing has worked with Palm. Our devices are almost out of warranty and EOL'd, and still no support. If you have a better way for us to get some sort of support out of Palm, please enlighten us and the "whining" will stop, I promise you.

    No offense intended or anything, but I see that you joined TC in Dec of 2006, can I assume you've had your device since then as well? Look at those of us complaining, the majority have had our devices since May 2006. It's been almost a year for us with absolutely no support or fix from Palm whatsoever, and we paid a premium (or early adopter fee) because we paid around $550-650 for our devices. How would you feel if you were in our position?
  10. eodell's Avatar
    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Um.....those of us who you claim are "whining" want exactly that, support. We have tried every other way we could to get it, nothing has worked with Palm. Our devices are almost out of warranty and EOL'd, and still no support. If you have a better way for us to get some sort of support out of Palm, please enlighten us and the "whining" will stop, I promise you.
    Indeed, I think the fact that posters like Bob-C have taken the time show that you can at least get some information out of Palm. Has there been any response from Colligan re: no firmware available in Q1 as promised? Since there has been no update to that thread, I assume not.

    I for one think we'll see the beefing stop when/if the firmware comes out.
  11. divamum's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #31  
    ~tentatively raises hand from the back row~

    I've been reading the impassioned complaints threads and I have to say.... all this about a, umm... phone? While I'm sure the problems (none of which I've faced with my 1 month old Treo, btw) are infuriating, aren't class actions and riots and whatever else getting a wee bit out of hand? I mean... it's a PHONE. A clever, multi-featured, business-tool-helpful phone but... a phone. We're not talking foreign policy or the cure for cancer here.

    Sorry - I probably shouldn't **** in at all but... I've been pretty amazed. I'm no newcomer to electronics or the internet, but i've never seen anything quite like the threads I've read in here!

    Just a n00bs (probably unpopular) 2c.
    Last edited by divamum; 04/04/2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typos
  12. santas's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #32  
    Separate forum wouldn't help. Most of us just use the "New Posts" when we come in. That shows all forums, so you'd still see all the stuff that's bugging you.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by divamum View Post
    ~tentatively raises hand from the back row~

    I've been reading the impassioned complaints threads and I have to say.... all this about a, umm... phone? While I'm sure the problems (none of which I've faced with my 1 month old Treo, btw) are infuriating, aren't class actions and riots and whatever else getting a wee bit out of hand? I mean... it's a PHONE. A clever, multi-featured, business-tool-helpful phone but... a phone. We're not talking foreign policy or the cure for cancer here.

    Sorry - I probably shouldn't **** in at all but... I've been pretty amazed. I'm no newcomer to electronics or the internet, but i've never seen anything quite like the threads I've read in here!

    Just a n00bs (probably unpopular) 2c.
    It's a phone that cost more than a computer.

    I paid $360 for my 650 and less than $100 for my 700p. If I had to paid the retail price like alot of folks in this forum did, I would complain a hell lot louder.

    P.S. You should go visit some Mac forums if you want to see people who take issues out of the smallest cosmetic or ergonomic problems.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post

    If you have some issue to talk about the 700p that can be constructively discussed then start a new thread about it. Just make sure to do a search first to make sure it has not been answered already.
    this has to be the quote of the year. people that want to ask a constructive question about their 700p should do a search, but if you want to rant about the same thing over and over...and over...and over...and hijack every other thead, it's ok....right?
  15. ink883's Avatar
    Posts
    872 Posts
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    #35  
    When users started to complain about 650's memory issue, it got lots of attention. In fact, it got so much attention Palm gave away free SD cards to users until they get a firmware fix out the door.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Um.....those of us who you claim are "whining" want exactly that, support. We have tried every other way we could to get it, nothing has worked with Palm. Our devices are almost out of warranty and EOL'd, and still no support. If you have a better way for us to get some sort of support out of Palm, please enlighten us and the "whining" will stop, I promise you.

    No offense intended or anything, but I see that you joined TC in Dec of 2006, can I assume you've had your device since then as well? Look at those of us complaining, the majority have had our devices since May 2006. It's been almost a year for us with absolutely no support or fix from Palm whatsoever, and we paid a premium (or early adopter fee) because we paid around $550-650 for our devices. How would you feel if you were in our position?
    I got my 700P last July. Stayed in a different forum and didn't realize TC existed. I hope I went out of my way to avoid using the term "whine"; if I used it in a prior post I apologize. I don't like that word in this circumstance. But what I see that is lacking in all the efforts people have put forth is some real ingenuity in trying to figure out why relatively few people have things like lag when most people don't? I'll say it again.....there HAS to be an explanation. Maybe if you figure that out, it would help.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I got my 700P last July. Stayed in a different forum and didn't realize TC existed. I hope I went out of my way to avoid using the term "whine"; if I used it in a prior post I apologize. I don't like that word in this circumstance. But what I see that is lacking in all the efforts people have put forth is some real ingenuity in trying to figure out why relatively few people have things like lag when most people don't? I'll say it again.....there HAS to be an explanation. Maybe if you figure that out, it would help.
    The last time I checked I wasn't on Palm's payroll, why should I do their work for them?




    ...in other words, this is THEIR problem, they sold me a product that is supposed to meet a certain set of criteria. I neither have the tools nor the resources that they do to troubleshoot all the bugs in the 700p, nor would I unless I was being paid to because I've already paid enough out of pocket for this device and to troubleshoot it is a job that ANY engineering company would HAVE to do before ever releasing such a product. I'm of the opinion that the 700p users here have done WAY more than enough already. Within the first month of release there was a comprehensive list here of all the bugs that have been found that Palm didn't seem to fix with at least 6 months or so of beta testing. They had access to that list for free. Why should we have to do any more work when we've pretty much done everything that we can?
  18. #38  
    You guys would laugh - over at EverythingQ.com the place is flooded by complaints that the Q "just doesn't work".

    I've had a Treo 650, 700p and a Moto Q, and think they are all nifty products. There are a few things that bug me about each but THATS technology. I have a Canon Rebel XT digital SLR that drives me NUTS at times, but that's part of the reality.

    I can assure the world of only one thing - iPhoneSucks.com has already been registered

    Really - if a Smartphone/PDA phone is too much for you to handle, there is a Razr out there with your name on it...
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    <snip>
    I was an avid fan and highly anticipating the 700p before it's release <snip>
    No KIDDING Merlyn_3D was an avid fan. Boy oh boy do I remember that thread when he got the (ahem) bootleg 700p before it was released. That thread grew faster than anything I'd ever seen. It was like riding a rollercoaster.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I got my 700P last July. Stayed in a different forum and didn't realize TC existed. I hope I went out of my way to avoid using the term "whine"; if I used it in a prior post I apologize. I don't like that word in this circumstance. But what I see that is lacking in all the efforts people have put forth is some real ingenuity in trying to figure out why relatively few people have things like lag when most people don't? I'll say it again.....there HAS to be an explanation. Maybe if you figure that out, it would help.

    You have to use a 650 beforehand in order to understand the "lag". 700p handles memory differently from 650, hence the lag when you switch app. I don't think its fixable so I never whine about it. But its there.

    Also alot of these complaint are things that were working properly in the older models. For example, bluetooth hotsync worked for me for the 650 but not the 700p. That **** me right off.

    You don't see people complain about shaggy multi-tasking or A2DP because people never had good multi-tasking in their PalmOS PDA so people learn to live with it. Also really bad desktop software is one thing people rarely complain, since both Palm, Microsoft and Sony Ericsson make bad desktop hotsync software, lol.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions