Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I love the functionality of my Treo 700P, but all the resets are beginning to really bother me. I can hear it resetting itself (seemingly) randomly on occasion. I am so frustrated with this device. I have thought about getting a Moto Q any number of times, but I don't want to bear the costs of a new phone (and new GPS, chargers, software, etc) and I'm not sure I can give up the touch screen. Irrespective of the problems, I'm intriqued with the Q because of it's small size... Ugh...
    people I know love the q for about 2 weeks, then its love hate relationship.....they complain about battery life and it locking up, but I think its because they don't exit programs and then it uses all the phones resources. With the wm and palm os exiting apps actually closes them. Q is thinner, but wider, has a nice screen, but verizon rep said he uses his for email only and gets about 6 hrs a charge.
    I feel for you...
    you should've read this forum before you made your purchase.
    Welcome to the disappointed club.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnewtonne View Post
    I feel for you...
    you should've read this forum before you made your purchase.
    Welcome to the disappointed club.
    I'm a long time Treo user... 300, 600, 650 and 700. I wouldn't have ever expected this phone to be quite so unreliable. When it works, it's awesome. It does everything that I'd want it to, but it's just so unstable. It's like living w/ a bi-polar person. I have a dysfunctional, bi-polar phone....
    I was there once. Had issues with 650, 700wx, 6700, Q. Got fed up, got a blackberry 8703e (I have Sprint) and life has been great. It just works all the time, no matter what.

Highly recommended. Plus, my plan, although slightly more expensive, allows teathering.

The entire experience is quite refreshing. I will never own any other phone. RIM has it's sh*t together. This thing is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    The entire experience is quite refreshing. I will never own any other phone. RIM has it's sh*t together. This thing is amazing.
    Hello, Palm!? Are you listening? Is this registering at all?
    I was there once. Had issues with 650, 700wx, 6700, Q. Got fed up, got a blackberry 8703e (I have Sprint) and life has been great. It just works all the time, no matter what.

Highly recommended. Plus, my plan, although slightly more expensive, allows teathering.

How is the Outlook (calendar and datebook) synchronization? I see that the 3rd party apps are limited, and what they do have is relatively expensive.

I just got back into Palm with the 700p, alsohave a Q in the mail, and if neither work for me, RIM is my next step. I just hope Verizon gets the 88xx soon. As nice as the 8703e looks, the 8800 series is really appealing to me.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I had the exact same problem
    Here is what I did to reduce the crashes from one or two a day, to one in a month...
    Export your PIM data (calendar, etc.) to your PC from Palm Desktop. Make sure you highlight all your contacts, tasks and memos or you will only be saving the first entry!
    Create a new user on Palm Desktop
    Import your PIM data from your PC to the new user.
    Hard reset
    Hot sync with new user
    Do not install any third party applications for a week.
    See if you are crashing less.
    Add one application at a time.

Also, be patient during lags. If you repeatedly press buttons (especially the call button) during lags, you will cause a crash.
    Also do not attempt to call when you are turning on or off the BlueTooth headset, wait until it is on for a few seconds.

Try this and let us know if it cured the crashes. The logic here is that there is something corrupt and you bring it with you when you hotsync with your old user. Start from scratch.
    I did and my crashes are (almost) entirely elimated.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott View Post
    I love the functionality of my Treo 700P, but all the resets are beginning to really bother me. I can hear it resetting itself (seemingly) randomly on occasion. I am so frustrated with this device. I have thought about getting a Moto Q any number of times, but I don't want to bear the costs of a new phone (and new GPS, chargers, software, etc) and I'm not sure I can give up the touch screen. Irrespective of the problems, I'm intriqued with the Q because of it's small size... Ugh...
    I completely agree---My Treo 300 was the LAST stable device from Palm (in my experience, though the damned flip broke all the time)

My 650 and now 700p have been disasters--long delays, more crashes, less reliability and all the time the competition has moved on while the Palm OS stays stagnant and bug fixes get forgotten...

I may move to the iPhone once the CDMA/EvDO version comes out...

Sigh..
    I'm ok with the 700p, but i'm not blown away with Palm like i used to be. I can't see myself with the iphone as its detailed to debut. But give it time and time to get to sprint, and its probably headed that way. Or a phone like it.

I think apple hit on a cool form factor (though carrying around a phone that teenagers would die for doesn't exactly thrill me). It remains to be seen how viable it is.

Still a treo user here though and for the forseeable future. A 700p without bugs (whether they call it the 755p or whatever) still blows away the competition. But history tells me that expecting a bug free Treo may just not happen. Learn to live with some. I'm not sure i've seen the perfect smartphone.
    I could really use some advice... I'm in the process of deciding between the 700p and 700wx. I would love to wait for something else to be released (755p, WM6 device, etc.), but who knows when that will be. From reading the various 700p threads, I'm not getting a very good feeling. I think the 700p and 700wx both have their own issues, but some of the 700p unstableness issues really concern me. Also, for whatever reason, I seem to be seeing more applications for Windows Mobile. It's almost like the Palm OS side has become very non-innovated.
    Also, for whatever reason, I seem to be seeing more applications for Windows Mobile. It's almost like the Palm OS side has become very non-innovated.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree.
    However, I'm sure there are a lot of us out there that have spent $$ on apps for the palm os, and feel kind of like it was money thrown to the wind if we ever change to wm. I have tried my office's w's and all want to go back to the 600 and 650's because they said the palm os phone app is far superior to wm. I like being able to hit a big ol button for speakerphone or hold, instead of going into menu's like on the 700w/wx
    No TCPMP, no streaming radio (and especially no background WMA streaming like Windows Mobile offers) and no Slingbox.

You are onto something there, if stability is #1 and you only need some critical functionality, BB is the way to go. Heck, I hear the Pearl may be coming to Sprint/Verizon one of these days.. yummy yummy. But if you have certain requirements like those I listed above, not to mention whatever else I'm probably missing, BB is just not an option.

As for the Q, i love it. Can do all that stuff, wider is not noticeable, touchscreen: those of us who hated pulling out the stylus on our Palms know that 90% of the time we don't need it (and when we do, it's usually the software's fault), the only real issue is the battery life, but you'll find the same issue on the 755 (1200mah on the 755p versus 1130mah on the Q, ask the 680 guys for opinions on that).
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!