Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wow. I like the Palm OS. The maroon color looks great.

I have the 700wx on Sprint, just got it a few months ago so no cheap deals for me. I will wait for others to be the crash test dummies on the 755p before I move over. Windows Mobile is less sucky than I expected, in fact it's pretty good. But when I pick up my wife's 650 I remember why I liked the Palm OS.

I'll wait for a while for the bugs to reveal themselves. I'll also wait for Palm to address the 755p bugs, in the same speedy fashion that they've addressed the 700p's problems.
    i really hope "IM" is a program comparable to verichat!
    Hey Tastypeppers (or anyone else),

I posted a similar question in another thread but no one answered. I currently have the Treo 650, I never upgraded to the 700. I have been doing a lot of soul searching about whether its time to switch from palm to windows. I really like the idea of the antenna-less treo (cosmetic, fits in jeans better) and the rubberized skin so upgrading to the 755p sounds good. Plus, there are probably a few other reasons like EVDO but the WX can do that too....

However, I have heard good things (and some bad) about the 700wx. Windows is probably the direction smartphones are going (palm doesn't show too much desire to really upgrade the operating system and in fact has been working mainly on windows-based treos it seems).

What do you like about the 700wx? What made you switch? Does it crash as often as the 650?

My main concern is I use my treo mainly for e-mail (with chatter running psu hfor my gmail account and work corporate account). Is there a program similar to chatter for WX (that will push gmail (I have it routed thru fastmail)?

What about IM? Is there a decent IM program that runs in the background and still allows calls to come through?

Also, I use splashmoney for everyday checkbook balancing, not too intense. I imagine there is a similar program out there for windows-based platforms?

And, do you like EVDO with the WX? I really want to get a slingbox and watch tv from my treo, that seems pretty cool.

Sorry, I know this is a lot but all the posts about one or the other don't really address my specific needs.
    treoneo - my thoughts exactly. The 755 release seems too soon to integrate Marc Blanks chatterIM though (which I believe is now owned by Palm). I wonder what kind of client Palm created?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    If "IM" is real, I hope it gets back ported to 700p/680p.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23 View Post
    Hey Tastypeppers (or anyone else),

I posted a similar question in another thread but no one answered. I currently have the Treo 650, I never upgraded to the 700. I have been doing a lot of soul searching about whether its time to switch from palm to windows. I really like the idea of the antenna-less treo (cosmetic, fits in jeans better) and the rubberized skin so upgrading to the 755p sounds good. Plus, there are probably a few other reasons like EVDO but the WX can do that too....

However, I have heard good things (and some bad) about the 700wx. Windows is probably the direction smartphones are going (palm doesn't show too much desire to really upgrade the operating system and in fact has been working mainly on windows-based treos it seems).

What do you like about the 700wx? What made you switch? Does it crash as often as the 650?

My main concern is I use my treo mainly for e-mail (with chatter running psu hfor my gmail account and work corporate account). Is there a program similar to chatter for WX (that will push gmail (I have it routed thru fastmail)?

What about IM? Is there a decent IM program that runs in the background and still allows calls to come through?

Also, I use splashmoney for everyday checkbook balancing, not too intense. I imagine there is a similar program out there for windows-based platforms?

And, do you like EVDO with the WX? I really want to get a slingbox and watch tv from my treo, that seems pretty cool.

Sorry, I know this is a lot but all the posts about one or the other don't really address my specific needs.
    1. 650 --> 700wx.

This went well for me. If you've tried other WM devices (I had, both PPC and Smartphone) you'll be impressed by the work Palm did on the user interface. I can't remember a soft reset. The same batteries work for the 700wx, and my old cradle too. Multi-tasking. The first time I streamed somafm.com while doing something else I just about plotzed.

I switched because the wx offered seamless integration with my Exchange Server. My IT guy had gone from a PalmOS Samsung to a Verizon 700w and was really happy. And the 700wx has been everything I expected for push email, over-the-air sync of PIM data (well, except Notes--why?), etc.

ActiveSync is a bit manky, I don't know why. But it usually works for cabled sync to my workstation.

I do miss the Palm user interface. When I pick up my wife's 650 I miss it. But the 700wx has lots of horsepower and the Windows user interface is fine. There are little things that show the Palm UI is better. E.g., the 5-way button usually can cycle through EVERYTHING on the screen and on the 700wx sometimes you have to use the menu button or the stylus. But . . . . .

I used Chatter/Fastmail on my 650 and it worked just fine. Now I'm just with my corporate mail, and with Exchange it is really, really good and fast. I really don't use my Gmail account or my Yahoo account anymore except as spam repositories. It's just too cumbersome to have lotsa email addresses.

2. IM on the 700wx

Don't use it. Sorry. I use text messaging a lot and I installed the threaded SMS hack and it's wonderful.

3. Splashmoney.

Haven't used it. On my 650 I used Adarian's Expense Diary to track travel expenses. It was easy and superb. I am still searching for the solution on the Windows platform. The least bad I have found so far is ExpensePlus.

4. EV-DO.

I stream audio from somafm.com. I don't stream video and haven't played with Slingplayer yet. I moved from T-Mobile (and EDGE) to Sprint (and EV-DO) and frankly have been underwhelmed. I still surf TC's mobile site, so thing launch the same on the 700wx as they do on the 650 with T-Mobile.

5. The 755p -- an uninformed commentary.

I also have the 750 on T-Mobile for international travel. Let me tell you straight up. Better phone than the 700wx. I will say to you two words. Voice Command. w00t! But battery life is another matter. I carry two and I can burn through one and possibly two batteries in a long day. So if the 755p has the same battery then you should watch out for that.
    I honestly would hope/wish that Palm/Sprint took things a step further than just IM and made it into a real presence application (think Boost Mobile's Buddy Beacon) and a PTT type app. That would show something that would make other Treo (and smartphone users) jealous.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    A comment on the microsoft exchange activesync - the latest version of versamail on the 680 supports microsoft exchange push and it works as advertised. I assume the same applies to the 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    I honestly would hope/wish that Palm/Sprint took things a step further than just IM and made it into a real presence application (think Boost Mobile's Buddy Beacon) and a PTT type app. That would show something that would make other Treo (and smartphone users) jealous.
    Well AIM let you test message to people's cellphone now. But IME is not realiable. If you reply over TXT they may not get it.
    I hope the 755p comes in Magenta...that will be the driving force for me to upgrade.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I bet is Google Messenger! look at the icon! It makes sense as Google Maps is preinstalled
    thanks tastypeppers! that was awesome.

As far as a replacement for SplashMoney, has anyone tried WebIs Money2? Looks fairly comparable (as far as basic uses):

http://www.pocketinformant.com/produ...id=screenshots

I am still on the fence. What I think I really want is the new form factor (i.e. 680, 755) with WM on sprint. I wonder when that will be released?
    I'll get it. I can never wait long enough for my upgrades to apply anyway. Hope it comes in white.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    I hope everyone isn't getting their hopes up way too much about the IM app. The debug roms for the Simulator for a long time have included a program called IM, which has absolutely nothing to do with chatting.

That being said, I do hope its an instant messaging app too.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    well looking at this icon of the IM app, it looks nothing like a debug rom, and looks everything like a chatting application.
    Well, if we take a moment to consider what Palm obviously thinks we all are for buying their flawed phones and limited "upgrades", the new color will be...

MOROON
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Well, if we take a moment to consider what Palm obviously thinks we all are for buying their flawed phones and limited "upgrades", the new color will be...

MOROON
    Maroon is a completely appropriate color for the 755, as it is an acknowledgement that the 700p users have been marooned for the past 10 months and counting without any firmware support.

It seems the only way to get functioning bluetooth and other fixes will be to pay them another several hundred dollars in ransom for the Treo 755.

(And they have the nerve to call US "pirates...)
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    The "official" color is Burgundy
    Jimmie Geddes
    Bah, give me Midnight Blue CAn't wait to touch that new case, hopefully helps keep the Treo in my hand instead of sliding away grrrr
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast