Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jessi_9783 View Post
    LOL! I like you David. First, you support pink love and now you're telling me I'm absolutely right. Ahh, you are great!!! Plus, I just noticed you live in Springfield. I love to go shopping there. Woot Woot!!! Ha Ha, I just made the topic go even further off topic. Big props to me!!!
    I'm not great, just smart. I have learned three things...

1. If you are wrong...the woman is right.
    2. If the woman is wrong...the woman is right.
    3. If you are right...the woman is right.

Ahem...back on topic, though:

Although I still hold that the Palm OS is more user-friendly and easier for a non-techie wonderboy like myself...and I really do prefer my Treo over the Blackjack...if Samsung can put a full-function smartphone/PDA into a slim and sexy housing (even slim/sexy with the extended battery & cover), why can't Palm do the same thing with the Treo? I mean, most of the moaning and groaning I read on this and other forums is due to battery life. With the extended battery (free with every Blackjack), I have gotten almost 48-hours out of a full charge!

I'm just sayin'....
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I have also just switched from the tmobile dash to the 680 and I can tell you right off the bat that the palm os is much easier and quicker to use. So far so good. I have used the treo 600 in the past, than moved to the treo 700w, xv6700 and dash and now back to the 680. It seems that the 680 should only be compared with other touchscreen devices. Can anyone name me a touchscreen device that is much slimmer than the 680. I can't think of any. It's not fair to compare the size of a smartphone which has no touchscreen to the 680. I find the 680 to be much smoother to operate than the dash. I always thought I wanted a device that could multi task but in reality the only thing multi-tasking does is slow the device to a crawl. I'm going to stick with my unlocked treo and probably sell my unlocked dash on ebay.

I do have a question, whats the chance if I start investing in some palm apps, that the new palm os if it ever comes out will be backwards compatible?
    Quote Originally Posted by heckj View Post
    Can anyone name me a touchscreen device that is much slimmer than the 680.
    The Imate JAQ 3 at 0.55 inches (14mm) is nearly a third of an inch thinner.

http://www.imatephonestore.com/image...Q3_2_large.jpg

Surur
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    Thinner, yes. But...check out the reviews for the sleek and sexy Imate JAQ 3...

http://reviews.cnet.com/I_mate_Jaq/4...-32069611.html

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=3&Id=2868

4.3???
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Surur

126 X 67.5 14.5 for the imate jaq 3
    113 x 59 x 21 for the palm 680

The imate is extremely tall and wide when compared to the palm.
    I fondled one of these (the Jaq) on a recent trip to Dubai and had to put it down because the design was so bad it made my eyes hurt. Plus the keyboard was not particularly friendly, in my opinion. These are all subjective judgments but I couldn't put it down fast enough.

EDIT: in order to show points of reference, here are my aesthetic preferences:

--> good keyboard for me = Blackberry 72xx family, then Treo.

--> good physical design for me = Dash (which I've owned and also has a great keyboard); then Treo.

--> pot-bellied phones like the Jaq? Never. I would never put an extended battery in my Treo 700wx or 750 if it meant a bulge in the back. I carry around multiple batteries because of email/phone/text use.
  7.    #27  
    126 X 67.5 14.5 for the imate jaq 3
    113 x 59 x 21 for the palm 680

The imate is extremely tall and wide when compared to the palm.
    Thank you for indulging me in my sarcasm.

It actually looks like a bargain-basement Moto-Q to me...kinda like what Hyundai automobiles used to be back in the day. I mean, from a distance they looked pretty cool...but the closer you got, the worse they looked!!

Personally, I really like the size and curvy shape of my 680. It fits my hand well, and is not too wide. Could it be thinner and narrower...sure, but I wouldn't want that if it meant giving up the big screen and the stuff that makes the Treo so good.
    The JAQ 3 has had good and bad reviews, but the fact remains that its 10 cubic centimeters smaller in volume that the Treo 680, implying Palm could do better size wise, even with a touch screen. Even a device like the HTC Herald with a slide out keyboard is thinner that the Treo 680, and has a volume 20 cubic centimeters smaller too. It does make one think the size of the Treo series is a conscious style choice, vs a technological limitation.

Surur
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Has it occurred to you that navigation issues may be related to your long acquittance with PalmOS. Intuitive is probably just another word for "what I'm used to".

Surur
    I've had the same experience with the 750 and the Blackjack. I, too, have a Blackjack for nights/weekends.

I am very comfortable with WM5 and there is no doubt that Palm is far more intuitive and easy to use, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    I'm not great, just smart. I have learned three things...

1. If you are wrong...the woman is right.
    2. If the woman is wrong...the woman is right.
    3. If you are right...the woman is right.

Ahem...back on topic, though:

Although I still hold that the Palm OS is more user-friendly and easier for a non-techie wonderboy like myself...and I really do prefer my Treo over the Blackjack...if Samsung can put a full-function smartphone/PDA into a slim and sexy housing (even slim/sexy with the extended battery & cover), why can't Palm do the same thing with the Treo? I mean, most of the moaning and groaning I read on this and other forums is due to battery life. With the extended battery (free with every Blackjack), I have gotten almost 48-hours out of a full charge!

I'm just sayin'....
    Men should stick with Mr. Big's philosophy from Sex and the City..."Why don't we save an hour and you just tell me what I want."

Okay...back on topic. Sorry DIG!
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    "Why don't we save an hour and you just tell me what I want." ;

That has to be the quote of the day!!

Do I have to apologize to DIG too?
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    That has to be the quote of the day!!

Do I have to apologize to DIG too?
    who? what? Here i was having a bit of a laugh at the banter, and measuring the volume of my 680, thinking that it is actually not 10cc larger than the Jaq3, because it is curved and tapered, not all the one thickness (probably similar volume to Jaq3), then thinking what a waste of time and effort that was, when suddenly, a couple of posts down, people are apologising to me.

Dunno what to say, other than you've all been very very naughty but apologies accepted, try not to let it happen again,.... and please tell me why I am perceived as the thread continuity police....
    Men should stick with Mr. Big's philosophy from Sex and the City..."Why don't we save an hour and you just tell me what I want."

Okay...back on topic. Sorry DIG!
    since we are off topic, I dont know if you've seen the 2006 Aussie movie 'Kenny' about a portaloo technician (highly recommended if you can handle a bit of toilet humour), but he offers a new perspective on relationships, marriage and divorce....
    "look mate, cut out the middle man, find someone you hate and give them a house"
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    who? what? Here i was having a bit of a laugh at the banter, and measuring the volume of my 680, thinking that it is actually not 10cc larger than the Jaq3, because it is curved and tapered, not all the one thickness (probably similar volume to Jaq3), then thinking what a waste of time and effort that was, when suddenly, a couple of posts down, people are apologising to me.

Dunno what to say, other than you've all been very very naughty but apologies accepted, try not to let it happen again,.... and please tell me why I am perceived as the thread continuity police....
    Well, to combine both topics brilliantly (sex and the city and the Treo 680 volume) place your Treo in a condom, tie the end, submerge it in a measuring jug with some water, and see how far the water level rises.

Do I win any prizes?

Surur
    Hey! I could've added that you guys are always looking for a fun and refreshing "backup" too...
    Hey take it easy angel eyes...our wives might be listening.......
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Well, to combine both topics brilliantly (sex and the city and the Treo 680 volume) place your Treo in a condom, tie the end, submerge it in a measuring jug with some water, and see how far the water level rises.

Do I win any prizes?

Surur
    I'm pretty happy with the 680 volume - wouldnt want it any louder...
    I do have a question, whats the chance if I start investing in some palm apps, that the new palm os if it ever comes out will be backwards compatible?
    People may have missed this question, or maybe they just didn't want to step in another mine field or another off topic (although at least it's directly Palm related).

In any case, the first part is what are the chances of a new PalmOS. Some people will say slim to none, others maybe 25%. It will depend on whether there's a hardware change, or whether the OS is just different. It will also depend on whether there's a compatibility layer. But generally, you'll find most developers will have new versions and will give you either a credit or a free upgrade.

You'll also have to decide how long you expect to keep your device. Personally, I expect that I will keep my Treo 680 at least 2 years. At that time, I'll evaluate what's available.

But this is no different that new versions of Windows or anything else. The nice thing is that you can try all of the PalmOS software first and only invest in what you really need or want. And there is a lot of free software available as well.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    since we are off topic, I dont know if you've seen the 2006 Aussie movie 'Kenny' about a portaloo technician (highly recommended if you can handle a bit of toilet humour), but he offers a new perspective on relationships, marriage and divorce....
    "look mate, cut out the middle man, find someone you hate and give them a house"
    I'll have to check that out...thanks! I'm okay with toilet humor, I have teens and we watch a lot of South Park

Do I win any prizes?

Surur
    Where is the man that can use a condom that fits on a Treo???

Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    Hey take it easy angel eyes...our wives might be listening.......
    I'm sure your wives are well aware of your wandering eyes...we catch everything ya know
    I'll have to check that out...thanks! I'm okay with toilet humor, I have teens and we watch a lot of South Park Where is the man that can use a condom that fits on a Treo???
    Yes, I was wondering about that too. I really am not sure that I would know how to put a condom on something as small as a 680....
    Last edited by DIG; 04/04/2007 at 06:04 PM.
    Yes, I was wondering about that too. I really am not sure that I would know how to put a condom on something as small as a 680....
    LMAO. Thanks DIG, best laugh of my day. Love that Aussie humour.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast