Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I read this comment from a poster at the 700w forum that Verizon will shut you down if you use more than 5GB a month streaming media (from a Sprint user no doubt).

The Verizon rep I spoke to last night told me one would have to be in the terabyte range for Verizon to shut me down.

Sling Player has been available to the 700w users for many months now and a search at their forum yielded me no examples of users being shutdown yet. I'm sure the abusers of the service are shut down as there will always be users pushing the edge no matter how much unlimited service they get.

A search anywhere at TreoCentral is very confusing as I could not find my answer. But seems all those ecstatic Sprint uses need to keep telling us how great and cheap their service is.

I'm not looking for their feedback here. A search of the last two years of consumers reports on the best cell carriers will back up my opinion of why I will only use Verizon.

I for one wouldn't go back to Sprint if the broadband was free (I hope they do that someday, as it will drop Verizons prices).

At least in my area with the device I was using at the time, Sprint for me, had the worst coverage, constant dropped calls and awful customer service. I was treated like crap, so I will NEVER give them another dollar of my money.

Verizon has always treated me right. And the phone is more important to me then all the bells and whistlers, I need coverage first. I get 4 bars in my house now with Verizon as I must be lucky enough to be close to one of their towers I guess. Coverage or not Sprint IMO had a lot to learn on customer service when I used them. Verizons has covered me anywhere I travel in the U.S. for phone coverage.

But, before I spring for the $29.95 Sling Player at the end of my 30 day trial, has anyone been shut down by Verizon for streaming too much media yet?

This question is not posed to Sprint users so you need not respond, looking for Verizon users responses only.

Thx
    Last edited by Expidia; 04/02/2007 at 02:18 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Is not 5MB, it is 5GB. If during a month you download (or stream, counts the same) that much they'll terminate your contract. So much for unlimited access
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    This has always been a rumor. I heard 10GB was the limit.
    WOW, has verizon actually done that to anyone. I have sprint and i know they used to say that sprint was doing that , I have never seen it done., Actually sprint with mobi tv and sprint tv and other stuff they have pretty much garentees that most people will go well over that amount .I have called them about my usage as I didnt want a huge bill (Back when I got Mobi TV) and they basically told me dont worry about it.I probally go 10 times over that amount with Mobitv, PDANet and now SlingPlayer and never had an issue.

That is ridiculous for Verizon (or sprint if they do it also) to do that, it is unlimited isnt it . I know the small print of the contract says that at a certain point you are using too much of the "Unlimited" usage. Then they should not have Unlimited contracts.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Well, it is not a rumor.

If you read the contract, you will see they estipulate the Unlimited as data that does not exceed a maximum of 5GB per month. It is embedded in that section that has a very tiny font that contains all the legal mumbo jumbo.

Also, several users in other forums (outside Treocentral) reported their contract being terminated for this very fact. Some report data amount beyond 5GB but still the termination happens.

The rationale behind is that the Treo, if used normally wouldn't download 5B worth of data. If you do so, they believe you are using the phone as a modem and they don't like it, one because they sell cards just for that fact and two because you are "hoging" the bandwidth other cell phone users need.
    Here is verizons agreement... "The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month."
    Sorry...then it should be called the "not quite unlimited plan" lol

If you read the dictionary, unlimited means unlimited.
    Technically, if you have Verizon's data plan, you shouldn't even be using a Slingbox as it's against their TOS. Just another example of why I think Verizon is one of the most restrictive, crippling carriers ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sorry...then it should be called the "not quite unlimited plan" lol

If you read the dictionary, unlimited means unlimited.
    It is unlimited as long you you follow their rules, surfing the internet and checking email is unlimited..

"This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted"

You can do that all day long without any violation.
    So, if say I move to another state, where Verizon does not have their great coverage, and suddenly want to switch to something else... I should just start streaming stuff via the phone 24/7 until I my contract is cancelled without an early termination fee?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    no, they make you pay the cancellation fee as well...but hey, do what you will, you would have to be one of the top users/abusers to gain te attention of whoever handles this, they are not going to do this to mass #'s of consumers...

just enjoy your phone and service and take it as it comes
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The issue at hand here is that Verizon and any other wireless carrier did not expect the type of power Smartphones have and, moreover, the type of apps these devices can run. I'd hope they re-visit their policies if they indeed want to have more users jumping on the data bandwagon.

Still, with all the "heavy" usage I have, I barely break the 500MB a month, and that is extreme. The day I break the 1GB I'll post it online for the world to see
    I used to avg 500MB a month too. That is until I started using sling player I've been using sling player for a week and my avg. data use has doubled.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Is not 5MB, it is 5GB. If during a month you download (or stream, counts the same) that much they'll terminate your contract. So much for unlimited access
    Thx, I corrected that above. I meant Giga bytes 5GB's. My plan was for 10GB's a month and I blew through that to 30GB's as soon as I started turn the TV on a few times.

I worried about the limits on the unlimited plan because a rep in a Verizon store in Boston told my Brother when he was inquirying about switching to the 700p . . . The rep said to him "if you start media streaming on the Verizon plan they will terminate your plan even though it's an unlimited plan".

Then again what is the terminology for my $25 amonth data paln from Verizon, is the correct terminology GB or MB. I know it's 10 but of what?

I told my Brother that was a typical Verizon rep response who doesn't know his As* from his elbo. That'd be my guess as to the accuracy of his statement. But before I buy the SP, I wanted to get some input here from Verizon users.
    Last edited by Expidia; 04/02/2007 at 05:30 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    To be fair, from users who have replied to this thread above I'd appreciate if you would respond with what carrier you are using.

Seems from reading past threads Sprint users seem the need to chime in whenever they see someone using Verizon. I don't know why they have to keep waving the flag on what a great service Sprint is providing and how cheap their unlimited data plan is compared to Verizon.

My point is that I for one am willing to pay for better coverage because the phone part is most important to me and in my area and the states that I travel for business I get great coverage with Verizon and great service.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here on which service is better . . .

And I appreciate the posters who responded above . . .

But could each of those posters above respond back as to which provider you are using. None of you mentioned that in any of your responses.

I also agree with the last poster's comment in that like it or not . . what ever carrier you have will have to bite the bullet as to whatever crap their TOS agreements state. They are always written in their favor. They try to cover all ends. But if they start terminating unlimited plans they are going to open the door to smaller companies like T-Mobile who will clean up on signing new users due to streaming media constraints at Verizon and others.

Thx
    here's a neat chart to help you decide how many hours of Slinging you'd want to risk (from kupe at howardforums):

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8...grates2ms7.jpg

Here's what he said on the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe at HowardForums
    My data access was just cut off - period. The only indication I has was I couldn't access the net (or mail). So when I called in to CSR, they explained my data service was cut off because I violated the TOS.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    here's a neat chart to help you decide how many hours of Slinging you'd want to risk (from kupe at howardforums):

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8...grates2ms7.jpg

Here's what he said on the thread:
    Great chart
    Thx Funkster. The Verizon rep told me about the same as what I see here. She said you would have to use a huge amount for them to cut my plan. That's what I read in other threads in that you would have to be watching SP TV all day. I wouldn't worry about my plan being cut off I be more worried about going blind watching a TV this small all day

Question: I see there are 3 different streaming rates in your chart. Do we have the ability to change our streaming rate. If so how do we do it?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Expidia,

I use Verizon. I knew about the unlimited cap about a month after I got my data service. I've always kept it in mind when using my phone.

But it is true that to break the 5GB barrier it would take a lot of effort and battery life . Since when I'm traveling I always carry my enterprise laptop there's a good chance I always have WiFi and thus access to a better Sling experience.

However Slinging in my phone is a pretty darn good thing. I'll run the tests this weekend when I travel but I seriously doubt I'll cap my 5GB then.

And also, the streaming rate is automatically handled by the Slingplayer. The numbers in the chart are very reasonable for what one can expect when using the EVDO channels, I've tried in several major cities around the country and certainly 400kbps is somewhat of a very good connectiona and very rare indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    Question: I see there are 3 different streaming rates in your chart. Do we have the ability to change our streaming rate. If so how do we do it?
    Sorry I don't know about the Palm client but on both WM clients (pro/standard), before you connect you can go into player options and set it from automatic, enter manual bitrates/resolutions and such.

I find that playing at a lower bitrate doesn't matter much, as long as I'm not bored lol. Quality will definitely depend on what you're watching but, bleh YMMV.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast