Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    periodically, dial #3282 and you'll get a free text message with usage information. I used to check that frequently, but actually I never get near 5GB so I don't mind it much anymore.

But yeah, that limit stinks.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    I read this comment from a poster at the 700w forum that Verizon will shut you down if you use more than 5GB a month streaming media (from a Sprint user no doubt).

The Verizon rep I spoke to last night told me one would have to be in the terabyte range for Verizon to shut me down.

Sling Player has been available to the 700w users for many months now and a search at their forum yielded me no examples of users being shutdown yet. I'm sure the abusers of the service are shut down as there will always be users pushing the edge no matter how much unlimited service they get.

A search anywhere at TreoCentral is very confusing as I could not find my answer. But seems all those ecstatic Sprint uses need to keep telling us how great and cheap their service is.

I'm not looking for their feedback here. A search of the last two years of consumers reports on the best cell carriers will back up my opinion of why I will only use Verizon.

I for one wouldn't go back to Sprint if the broadband was free (I hope they do that someday, as it will drop Verizons prices).

At least in my area with the device I was using at the time, Sprint for me, had the worst coverage, constant dropped calls and awful customer service. I was treated like crap, so I will NEVER give them another dollar of my money.

Verizon has always treated me right. And the phone is more important to me then all the bells and whistlers, I need coverage first. I get 4 bars in my house now with Verizon as I must be lucky enough to be close to one of their towers I guess. Coverage or not Sprint IMO had a lot to learn on customer service when I used them. Verizons has covered me anywhere I travel in the U.S. for phone coverage.

But, before I spring for the $29.95 Sling Player at the end of my 30 day trial, has anyone been shut down by Verizon for streaming too much media yet?

This question is not posed to Sprint users so you need not respond, looking for Verizon users responses only.

Thx
    Lasy week while at my local Verizon store, I asked specifically about tethering using PDA Net via a proxy server.

According to the rep, If I used more than 5GB during a one month period, I would receive a letter from them as an initial warning. If in subsequent months the same thing happened, they would terminate my service.

I also asked about streaming and was advised that the same rules apply. He did tell me this information "off the record" as Verizon does not condone free tethering at all.

That being said, my advice is to govern yourselves accordingly as it applies to "free" tethering and streaming.

Stalker768
    I received no advance warning that I'm aware of. I did find the letter they sent me informing me that on 4-4-07 I would be cancelled. One paragraph started: "as you know..." Of course, I knew absolutely nothing about the limits on streaming.

Another posting suggested that one would have to stream 10 hours/day, 7 days/week. to reach 5gb. As much as I have been streaming, even I have not done that much. I've strictly been catching up on YouTube videos...period. I logged on to my acct and could find no way to determine how much I really used and the manager that is supposed to return a phone call within 24 hours has not done so.

Do readers think I would be safe to stream videos now with my new acct/line or do you think I may be more actively scrutinized since I've already been bagged?
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    Since you didn't like my nuanced answer, the simple answer is NO. There is NO way to specify your streaming rate from the current Palm beta SPM.
    It's not that I didn't like it I just didn't understand it! Now you are almost forcing me to look up the word "nuanced"

But I understand the simple "NO" answer. That's what I was look'in for
    Last edited by Expidia; 04/05/2007 at 11:04 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shep View Post
    I just got cancelled today. I'm told I was sent a notice which I don't doubt but I never opened it.

I was shocked today to find out. I had no idea of limitations. I'm technologically unsophisticated. I recently became a YouTube fan and have been on there CONSTANTLY catching up on all the videos that have been posted over the past year. I don't know how much bandwidth I used.

I was allowed to open a new line - this is my separate "air card" line. I have another line for my cell. They did not charge me a termination fee but did charge me an activation fee - $35.

I had to reapply with new credit check just like I was a new customer which gave me a panic attack because I recently tanked my credit. By some miracle they approved me and I'm back on-line but now paranoid. I have no idea if I can continue to stream.

They should have some way you can monitor your own usage to see if you're approaching the limit. Anyway, this totally sucks.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    #DATA
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shep View Post
    I received no advance warning that I'm aware of. I did find the letter they sent me informing me that on 4-4-07 I would be cancelled. One paragraph started: "as you know..." Of course, I knew absolutely nothing about the limits on streaming.

Another posting suggested that one would have to stream 10 hours/day, 7 days/week. to reach 5gb. As much as I have been streaming, even I have not done that much. I've strictly been catching up on YouTube videos...period. I logged on to my acct and could find no way to determine how much I really used and the manager that is supposed to return a phone call within 24 hours has not done so.

Do readers think I would be safe to stream videos now with my new acct/line or do you think I may be more actively scrutinized since I've already been bagged?
    I'm having a hard time with credibility here since you only have 2 posts. Not that this post isn't true, but it does seem an opportune time for someone from a competing carrier to jump in with this type of claim.

I first checked over at the 700W forum before I downloaded the Sling Player for Palm OS and also checked at the Sling media's forum and I have not found this to be the case. . . Yet!

You know we can't believe everything one reads from just a poster in a forum.

Why not scan that letter and post it here for us to read ourselves. Delete your name and acct # of course.

Since you found the letter anyway it would help to make this claim more credible.

Not trying to start a war or call you a liar, but with only two posts under your belt . . .

Or since you don't know how much data you used you may have really blown through their limits!

Thanks
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i think the should take out the "unlimited", cause its not. its false advertising.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    I'm having a hard time with credibility here since you only have 2 posts. Not that this post isn't true, but it does seem an opportune time for someone from a competing carrier to jump in with this type of claim.......You know we can't believe everything one reads from just a poster in a forum.......Not trying to start a war or call you a liar, but with only two posts under your belt . . .
    Is it just me or does Expidia come across as kind of an ***? I have read multiple posts in this thread where people have tried to answer or provide constructive information, and if it is not what Expidia wants to hear, he complains and belittles them. He also cries about Sprint FanBoys, but his closed minded responses to any hint of a sprint user kinda leads me to believe he may be that rarest of animals, a verizon fanboy!!
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C View Post
    Is it just me or does Expidia come across as kind of an ***? I have read multiple posts in this thread where people have tried to answer or provide constructive information, and if it is not what Expidia wants to hear, he complains and belittles them. He also cries about Sprint FanBoys, but his closed minded responses to any hint of a sprint user kinda leads me to believe he may be that rarest of animals, a verizon fanboy!!

I started this thread because I just didn't want to be cutoff by Verizon now that I'm using the Sling Player for Palm OS and just switched over to their unlimited plan. And that Verizon has shown no clear cut policy of when and at what point they will terminate my plan if I use too much data.

I specifically asked for no responses from Sprint users that already have their great cheap unlimited plan because so many of them feel the need to get everyone to switch to Sprint to enforce their decision that they chose the best plan. I don't care about Sprint as I use Verizon and at the moment am very happy with their coverage and service. Why does that bother you?

So the only person that I've read about so far in the 700P threads that got terminated was a person with 2 posts??? Maybe you swallow everything you read here but I don't.

One would think if Verizon was cutting people off we would hear about it a lot more in the Treo 700P threads. One would also hear about this already over in the 700W threads since they have used Sling Player for so many months now.

And pardon me for asking but what carrier do you use? Do you have the B*lls to show your true colors like another poster above didn't?

If it's Sprint, why are you responding and FLAMING in this thread other than to try and incite

Kinda childish of you isn't it.

Over and out because I don't respond to flamers.

Oops looky what I found: 12/05/2006, 09:55 PM #12
    Aaron C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leonidm
    I'm sorry I might be spoiling your day, but do you have an unlimitted data plan ? I think you will find an unpleasant surprise then when you will be activating the phone (at least I did with sprint) - the unlimited data with 700p is much more expensive then the same plan with 650 - and you can not use the 650 plan - it has to do with the different data networks those 2 phones use.

By Aaron C
    Not true. I had/have the vision business plan. Got it on my 600, transfered to my 650 plan, and when I activated my 700p, the guy who activated tried to switch me. He could not get the business connect to accept in his system (i thing for billing) while he had the power vision in. He switched me back and told me I would not have evdo. Guess what. I still get charged $15, its still business vision plan, and it gets EVDO just fine. Its a billing issue with sprint and you just have to get the right person to help to get it done.

Expidia: don't bother responding . . . TROLL !
    Last edited by Expidia; 04/07/2007 at 10:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    i think the should take out the "unlimited", cause its not. its false advertising.
    Ha Ha this is true, but in Verizon's eyes it's actually an unlimited plan unless of course you actually use it . . . then it becomes their "limited" unlimited plan
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Yep,
    I am a sprint user, but that had nothing to do with my post. Also, it appears that you are very savvy with that search feature....figures you would have figured a topic like this dealing with a specific provider should have been put in the Service providers-CDMA group as opposed to hardware, since this topic is limited to VERIZON only people...of course, the nasty sprint users are in there too.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Here is verizons agreement... "The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month."

I got it in writing with my new 700p. They enclosed a glossy magazine thing "solutions that work, for business"- in it it has "important information" with TOS type stuff and has that wording about 100-200mbs and 5gb month and further says anyone over 5gb per line per month will be presumed to be engaged in prohibited activity.

was kind of shocked- I never saw any printed materials before with hard limits.
    Geez...I hope Sprint doesn't impose such limits.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    And pardon me for asking but what carrier do you use? Do you have the B*lls to show your true colors like another poster above didn't?

If it's Sprint, why are you responding and FLAMING in this thread other than to try and incite

Kinda childish of you isn't it.

Over and out because I don't respond to flamers.

Oops looky what I found: 12/05/2006, 09:55 PM #12
    Aaron C

It seems like you are the ONLY one making a big deal out of what carriers people are using. Well, I happen to have BOTH carriers! That’s right, I am a System Administrator supporting over 40 Treo’s. 10 are Verizon, the rest are Sprint. In trying to put an end to all of this mindless bickering, I went to BOTH carriers web sites. I am including BOTH carriers, as someone might be looking for information regarding the OTHER carrier as well as Verizon. I’m NOT trying to say one is better than the other, I’m just posting what is on the carriers web sites.

Sprint.
    Vision/Power Vision: Services are not available with all Sprint PCS phones. Usage is calculated on a per kilobyte basis and is rounded up to the next whole kilobyte. Rounding occurs at the end of each session or each clock hour and, at which time we deduct accumulated usage from your plan, or assess overage or casual usage charges. You are responsible for all data activity from and to your phone, regardless of who initiates the activity. Estimates of data usage will vary from actual use. Your invoice will not separately identify the number of kilobytes attributable to your use of specific sites, sessions or services used. Premium content (games, ringers, etc.) priced separately. Services are not available for use in connection with server devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for private lines or frame relay connections. Except with phone-as-modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) on a plan with unlimited Vision/Power Vision as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse. Availability of downloadable or streaming content is subject to change.

Verizon.
    DATA PLANS AND FEATURES
    Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.
    For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.
    Data sessions automatically terminate after 24 hours of activity. Data session is inactive when no data is being transferred. Data session may seem inactive while data is actively being transferred to device, or may seem active when it is actually cached and not transferring data. You MUST press or click END or DISCONNECT button to ensure that session disconnects and charges cease. Thirdparty applications may automatically reinitiate data sessions without you pressing or clicking SEND or CONNECT button. For the Palm® TreoTM 650, the only way to disconnect your data session is to press the home key until you see “All” or “System,” then select the “Prefs” icon, then select “Network” from the drop-down list, and then “Disconnect.” You may be able to send or receive voice calls when your data session is inactive. When this occurs, charges apply simultaneously for voice calls in accordance with your Calling Plan. You are responsible for maintaining virus protection when accessing service.
    PDA/smartphone and BlackBerry® Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect.
    PDA/smartphone and BlackBerry Megabyte Features: Megabyte allowance and charges for kilobytes over the monthly allowance apply to 1xRTT and EV-DO data sessions, which are rounded to next full kilobyte at end of each billing cycle. Only total of kilobytes transmitted above allowance each billing cycle may appear on bill. You are responsible for all charges, including all data sent and received and “overhead” whether or not you or your recipients actually receive the data. Overhead is all data that is in addition to user-transmitted data, such as control, operational and routing instructions, error-checking characters as well as retransmissions of user-data messages that are received in error. Any unused portion of the megabyte allowance is lost.
    Wireless Sync: Compatible wireless device required. The monthly allowance applies only to 1xRTT and EV-DO data transmissions, not to voice or other (Quick 2 Net or dial-up) data transmissions. When traveling outside of the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area, you may be charged at the “other data” rate for data calls. Customers with devices that support Quick 2 Net service will be billed minutes of use or “other data” rate according to their Calling Plan. In order to use Wireless Sync, your PC Monitor or Wireless Sync Enterprise Server must be on and in a condition to receive your corporate email. Wireless Sync software updates will be sent to your device and will be charged as a data call.
    The BlackBerry Solution from Verizon Wireless: The wireless data capability of the BlackBerry device functions only within the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area. Verizon Wireless NationalAccess service is not available with the BlackBerry solution. With the BlackBerry solution, the first 2 kilobytes (KB) of each email are initially received on the BlackBerry device and you can simply request to receive additional 2KB increments. Some email attachments (Microsoft® Office Word, Excel®, PowerPoint®, Corel® WordPerfect®, Adobe® PDF, and ASCII text) are delivered to the BlackBerry device when requested by the end user. ZIP file browsing is available with BlackBerry Device Software v3.7. With BlackBerry Device Software v4.0, an HTML Internet browser has been added to the service in addition to full wireless PIM (Calendar, Contacts, Notes&Tasks) synchronization when using the BlackBerry device with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.TM Graphics in emails and attachments are not delivered to the BlackBerry device. When the BlackBerry device reaches its memory storage capacity, email stored on the device will automatically be deleted from it, starting with the oldest emails first. BlackBerry Desktop Software using BlackBerry Desktop Redirector only supports Microsoft Exchange environments. Up to ten POP3/IMAP and ISP email accounts are supported through use of the BlackBerry Internet Service.TM
    Verizon Wireless Calling Plans, Rate and Coverage Areas, rates, agreement provisions, business practices, procedures and policies are subject to change as specified in the Customer Agreement.
    Connecticut Customers: If you have any questions about your bill or concerns about your service, please call Customer Care at: 1-800-922-0204 or dial *611 from your wireless phone. If you are a Connecticut customer and we cannot resolve your issue, you have the option of contacting the Department of Public Utility Control (DPUC): Online: www.state.ct.us/dpuc Phone: 866-381-2355; Mail: Connecticut DPUC, 10 Franklin Square, New Britain, CT 06051.
    Last Update 04/15/07

BTW, I have Verizon for my personal account at home, but the work provided Treo that I use is through Sprint. There is only one place that I worry about coverage (where I go on vacation) I know that Verizon works there, I’m just not sure about Sprint yet. As for customer service??? It’s not even close. I’d tell you, but you seem too closed minded to listen seeing as it’s not the answer you want to hear. Did you ever think that you’re the one who’s being childish?

Later
    Tim
    Using MotoQ on Sprint
    Supporting Treo 650's, 700P's and MotoQ's on Sprint and Verizon.
    Good Admin too
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123