Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54
  1. expidia's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Expidia,

    I use Verizon. I knew about the unlimited cap about a month after I got my data service. I've always kept it in mind when using my phone.

    But it is true that to break the 5GB barrier it would take a lot of effort and battery life . Since when I'm traveling I always carry my enterprise laptop there's a good chance I always have WiFi and thus access to a better Sling experience.

    However Slinging in my phone is a pretty darn good thing. I'll run the tests this weekend when I travel but I seriously doubt I'll cap my 5GB then.

    And also, the streaming rate is automatically handled by the Slingplayer. The numbers in the chart are very reasonable for what one can expect when using the EVDO channels, I've tried in several major cities around the country and certainly 400kbps is somewhat of a very good connectiona and very rare indeed.
    Thx, I too use my laptop in a hotel room for the Sling Box. I only book at hotels that offer free broadband service. I'd say more offer it now than don't.

    Ya, that chart really shows how much you'd really have to watch the tv on the Treo to draw attention to your account as a huge user.

    The plan I had from Verizon was the 10 (I thought it was Megabytes) for $25 a month. But maybe it was actually 10 MB for $25 because within a couple of days of fooling around with SP I already went over the 30 MB level.

    My data usage is now reading 49,196 Kilobytes. When I called to upgrade my plan to unlimited, Verizon backdated my plan for me so I didn't get nailed for 20 MB over my 10 MB limit which would equal an extra $300 for this months bill (this is my point about Verizon's customer service, they didn't have to do that for my error).

    So now I'm really confused. What is the terminology for Verizon's plan that I was paying $25 a month for data before I just changed to unlimited?

    Was it 10 MB and I now show usage at 50 MB which would have put me over by 30 MB if I hadn't switched???
    Last edited by Expidia; 04/02/2007 at 05:45 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    To be fair, from users who have replied to this thread above I'd appreciate if you would respond with what carrier you are using.

    Seems from reading past threads Sprint users seem the need to chime in whenever they see someone using Verizon. I don't know why they have to keep waving the flag on what a great service Sprint is providing and how cheap their unlimited data plan is compared to Verizon.

    My point is that I for one am willing to pay for better coverage because the phone part is most important to me and in my area and the states that I travel for business I get great coverage with Verizon and great service.

    I'm not trying to start a flame war here on which service is better . . .

    And I appreciate the posters who responded above . . .

    But could each of those posters above respond back as to which provider you are using. None of you mentioned that in any of your responses.

    I also agree with the last poster's comment in that like it or not . . what ever carrier you have will have to bite the bullet as to whatever crap their TOS agreements state. They are always written in their favor. They try to cover all ends. But if they start terminating unlimited plans they are going to open the door to smaller companies like T-Mobile who will clean up on signing new users due to streaming media constraints at Verizon and others.

    Thx
    Well you just started a flame war... You made statements that can not be backed up by fact.

    http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/3554

    Take a look at that article..
  3. expidia's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Sorry I don't know about the Palm client but on both WM clients (pro/standard), before you connect you can go into player options and set it from automatic, enter manual bitrates/resolutions and such.

    I find that playing at a lower bitrate doesn't matter much, as long as I'm not bored lol. Quality will definitely depend on what you're watching but, bleh YMMV.

    When I created favorite channels . . . example HBO is 701 on my time warner system. Its also on 1880 as the same channel only in HD.

    So my question is: if I view channels in HD on my Treo am I using a larger data stream download. I see no difference in the pic on the Treo. Does it matter, because if it uses more I'll go back to the old channels and be sure not to watch HD channels if the same broadcast shows on two channels?
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
  4. tc600's Avatar
    Posts
    305 Posts
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    My data usage is now reading 49,196 Kilobytes.
    The increments go from "Kilo" to "Mega" to "Giga", so you're currently only at about 50MB, which is only 1% of the way to the presumed 5GB monthly "unlimited" limit.

    Currently the beta Palm client does not let you enter any manual bitrate limits, so you get whatever rate the client is able to process. On my Sprint 700p, under good conditions in an EVDO area, I generally get about 250k-300k, so I guess that equates to a little bit more than the "Low" data rate on the chart.

    If you have a router which can throttle upload speed, you could use that to limit the data rate as well. That'd be a creative way of implementing your own manual bitrate limits (or a way to simulate 1XRTT speeds even when you're on the EVDO network).
  5. expidia's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Well you just started a flame war... You made statements that can not be backed up by fact.

    http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/3554

    Take a look at that article..
    Excerpted from my first post: This question is not posed to Sprint users so you need not respond, looking for Verizon users responses only.

    Andrew, you didn't mention what carrier you use?

    If it's Sprint then you just proved my point. If you did read my first post I asked for responses only from Verizon uses. I even said Sprint users will always scan the threads and jump in order to tell us Verizon users how great Sprint is!

    Which you just did and you still don't note what carrier you use. This smacks to me of being like a drive by shooter.

    I scanned your article (do you keep this article in your favorite places so you can whip it out when needed?) Problem is who writes these articles? Are they commissioned by the Sprint's publicists? I don't give much credence to what journalists write about when they are trying to sell magazines or get you to the websites to buy stuff by clicking on their advertising links.

    With all these carriers buying up other companies like mad so they can claim who is the biggest it's like two guys in the shower room saying I'm bigger than you are

    All that matters to me is coverage, dropped calls and customer service.
    I'm going by my experience with 4 other carriers over the past 10 or 15 years.
    Maybe Sprint is making in-roads (but they will never get my money again), maybe they can get journalists to slant an article in their favor . . .

    Bottom line is what the bulk of actual users experience in most states.

    If this link works: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...ings/index.htm as of 2006 and same for 2005 too!

    It will show you how the public has voted in an independent publication like Consumer Reports . . .

    I thought it in-line with my experiences with the other carriers.

    Just checked, the link works, I didn't know if it would because I pay for the on-line version and I didn't think I could link to it.

    After looking at it again it actually brings tears to my eyes . . . How bout you?
    Last edited by Expidia; 04/02/2007 at 06:44 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
  6. tc600's Avatar
    Posts
    305 Posts
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    When I created favorite channels . . . example HBO is 701 on my time warner system. Its also on 1880 as the same channel only in HD.

    So my question is: if I view channels in HD on my Treo am I using a larger data stream download. I see no difference in the pic on the Treo. Does it matter, because if it uses more I'll go back to the old channels and be sure not to watch HD channels if the same broadcast shows on two channels?
    Unless you have a Slingbox Pro, you won't even be processing an HD signal. Even if you do, the stream that's created for internet-accessible streams maxes out at 320x240, so the stream going out over the internet will carry approximately the same number of bits regardless of the originating channel. Only if you watch inside your own personal network will you be able to get the max resolution of 640x480, so for your purposes, it's likely not to make much of a difference.

    What will make a difference however is that the HD channels output a 16:9 image, so to watch it properly you'll need to switch to the Letterboxed mode which will squeeze down the top and bottom of the image so that the picture area will only be 320x180 instead of 320x240. So it'll be up to you which is more important to you: seeing the wider picture slightly smaller, or watching the center area (or panned & scanned area) at max height. Given the small size of the screen, I'd usually opt for the SD channel at full 320x240 resolution.
  7. expidia's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
       #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    Unless you have a Slingbox Pro, you won't even be processing an HD signal. Even if you do, the stream that's created for internet-accessible streams maxes out at 320x240, so the stream going out over the internet will carry approximately the same number of bits regardless of the originating channel. Only if you watch inside your own personal network will you be able to get the max resolution of 640x480, so for your purposes, it's likely not to make much of a difference.

    What will make a difference however is that the HD channels output a 16:9 image, so to watch it properly you'll need to switch to the Letter boxed mode which will squeeze down the top and bottom of the image so that the picture area will only be 320x180 instead of 320x240. So it'll be up to you which is more important to you: seeing the wider picture slightly smaller, or watching the center area (or panned & scanned area) at max height. Given the small size of the screen, I'd usually opt for the SD channel at full 320x240 resolution.
    Thx TC, I was worried about that. What you say is true on the viewing size. I was watching it while my Wife was in the supermarket while I waited in the car and had a chance to fool around with it some more. I did notice that Letterbox viewing was a little clearer than the SD. But I hate letterbox anyway.

    Seems the bigger the plasma I get for the house I still get the squished down pictures when netflix sends me a DVD that's only in letterbox.

    Imagine how many people would complain if they went to the movie theatres only to see a squished down picture or side bars where they don't crank in the curtains. I'm no purist, I don't care how the director sees his picture. I'll give up some side detail as long as I can have my BIG SCREEN and the movie filling the whole thing without being distorted to fit it
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
  8. expidia's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
       #28  
    Could you correct my title where I misspelled the word Palyer s/b Player.

    Your edit function does not allow one to edit the title.

    It's driving me crazy every time I see it

    Thx
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    Excerpted from my first post: This question is not posed to Sprint users so you need not respond, looking for Verizon users responses only.

    Andrew, you didn't mention what carrier you use?

    If it's Sprint then you just proved my point. If you did read my first post I asked for responses only from Verizon uses. I even said Sprint users will always scan the threads and jump in order to tell us Verizon users how great Sprint is!

    Which you just did and you still don't note what carrier you use. This smacks to me of being like a drive by shooter.

    I scanned your article (do you keep this article in your favorite places so you can whip it out when needed?) Problem is who writes these articles? Are they commissioned by the Sprint's publicists? I don't give much credence to what journalists write about when they are trying to sell magazines or get you to the websites to buy stuff by clicking on their advertising links.

    With all these carriers buying up other companies like mad so they can claim who is the biggest it's like two guys in the shower room saying I'm bigger than you are

    All that matters to me is coverage, dropped calls and customer service.
    I'm going by my experience with 4 other carriers over the past 10 or 15 years.
    Maybe Sprint is making in-roads (but they will never get my money again), maybe they can get journalists to slant an article in their favor . . .

    Bottom line is what the bulk of actual users experience in most states.

    If this link works: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...ings/index.htm as of 2006 and same for 2005 too!

    It will show you how the public has voted in an independent publication like Consumer Reports . . .

    I thought it in-line with my experiences with the other carriers.

    Just checked, the link works, I didn't know if it would because I pay for the on-line version and I didn't think I could link to it.

    After looking at it again it actually brings tears to my eyes . . . How bout you?

    The original topic asked about the data, I provided the answer.. I provided a pure fact pulled off verizons website... It does not matter what service I use since I did not post my opinion of the user agreement which can be found on verizons site which I copied and pasted here.

    I really dont care what consumer reports say, they favor certain brands, for example they give all german cars bad marks and praise Japanese cars. Also you have to realize consumer reports is not as "independent" as you think, they outsource a lot of their testing to other organizations which may or may not have a motive to rate somethings higher than others. Just alone on the car issue which I am a car nut you can easily see how consumer reports bends over backwards and awards japanese cars higher marks than better brands..

    But again cell phone service depends on location, you buy the best in your area. And a lot of cell phone service has to do with the type of phone, you buy a crappy phone you get crappy service.
  10. #30  
    Does Sprint have this "not so unlimited" unlimited plan policy as well?
  11. expidia's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
       #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    The original topic asked about the data, I provided the answer.. I provided a pure fact pulled off Verizon's website... It does not matter what service I use since I did not post my opinion of the user agreement which can be found on Verizon's site which I copied and pasted here.

    I really don't care what consumer reports say, they favor certain brands, for example they give all German cars bad marks and praise Japanese cars. Also you have to realize consumer reports is not as "independent" as you think, they outsource a lot of their testing to other organizations which may or may not have a motive to rate somethings higher than others. Just alone on the car issue which I am a car nut you can easily see how consumer reports bends over backwards and awards japanese cars higher marks than better brands..

    But again cell phone service depends on location, you buy the best in your area. And a lot of cell phone service has to do with the type of phone, you buy a crappy phone you get crappy service.
    So what you're saying is Consumer Reports skews their ratings to bring Toyota and Honda at the top of the heap every year and forces the poor customer rated Mercedes when it comes to the frequency of repairs to the bottom of the pack. So this is a conspiracy trumped up by Consumer Reports. I think you've opened my eyes now

    But alas, we are way off topic and we'll have to agree to disagree.

    Sorry, can't respond to your posts anymore since you won't come out of the closet and reveal your carrier's name . . . Just tell me the first and last letters . . . is it S _ _ _ _T
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
  12. expidia's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    So what you're saying is Consumer Reports skews their ratings to bring Toyota and Honda at the top of the heap every year and forces the poor customer rated Mercedes when it comes to the frequency of repairs to the bottom of the pack. So this is a conspiracy trumped up by Consumer Reports. I think you've opened my eyes now

    But alas, we are way off topic and we'll have to agree to disagree.

    Sorry, can't respond to your posts anymore since you won't come out of the closet and reveal your carrier's name . . . Just tell me the first and last letters . . . is it S _ _ _ _T
    HA . . . You don't have to fill in the blanks above Andrew. You would not reveal your carrier in this thread because I just read your posts at the Sling Media forum where you jumped into another thread that I started over there warning Verizon users of possible streaming limits.

    In your post over there you just happened to mention that you've been a "Sprint" user for over 7 years.

    I knew it all along . . . you're just Sprint Flame bait

    Expidia . . . over and out! End of future transmissions with you.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    HA . . . You don't have to fill in the blanks above Andrew. You would not reveal your carrier in this thread because I just read your posts at the Sling Media forum where you jumped into another thread that I started over there warning Verizon users of possible streaming limits.

    In your post over there you just happened to mention that you've been a "Sprint" user for over 7 years.

    I knew it all along . . . you're just Sprint Flame bait

    Expidia . . . over and out! End of future transmissions with you.
    Yep you caught me.. Its not hard to find out what service I am using.. You can go to the sprint section here and see my posts... I was only trying to help out, people asked a question and a few mindless "I think" or "I was told" replies happened so I went and found the real fact but people are unhappy that it did not agree with them, so they attack me calling me a "fan" boy.. I was only trying to help out and prevent topics of "verizon canceled me and is charging me $175 termination fee".
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    So what you're saying is Consumer Reports skews their ratings to bring Toyota and Honda at the top of the heap every year and forces the poor customer rated Mercedes when it comes to the frequency of repairs to the bottom of the pack. So this is a conspiracy trumped up by Consumer Reports. I think you've opened my eyes now

    But alas, we are way off topic and we'll have to agree to disagree.

    Sorry, can't respond to your posts anymore since you won't come out of the closet and reveal your carrier's name . . . Just tell me the first and last letters . . . is it S _ _ _ _T
    Yes and you can google search it Mercedes and CR are currently in a big scuffle over this issue.

    Read the entire article...

    http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/17/auto...tune/index.htm

    I doubt you even own or have owned or will own a Mercedes or BMW. But if you do you will realize why consumer reports is full of crap. I have had 2 of the "most unreliable" Mercedes according to consumer reports and never had a single problem with them, and I took them off road and drove the crap out of them.
  15. #35  
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/33870-post13.html

    This fellow says he received the following email (Verizon insider) on March 29th:

    Unlimited’ Terminology To Be Removed From BBA

    Channel: All / Regions: All

    David Weinstein/Marketing



    Effective immediately, the term “unlimited” to describe the monthly data allowance will be removed from all marketing communication materials as listed below:

    o Current Direct/Indirect Business Brochure/Magazine – scheduled to be refreshed and in stores by 5/15

    o All new Sales Flyers and other Area marketing communications will have the word “unlimited” removed, as well as existing materials will be updated by the end of April

    o Regional Sales pitch decks and other Regional marketing materials describing BroadbandAccess must remove the term “unlimited” immediately

    Products impacted: BroadbandAccess, BroadbandAccess Connect, GlobalAccess (VZEmail and BroadbandAccess products with Megabyte allowances are not impacted)

    Terms and Conditions remain the same:

    o “Anyone using more than 5GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited…”

    o “We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred…”
    Perhaps Verizon's going legit about their little elephant, we'll see.
  16. #36  
    Great find g-funk. Now if VZW would only do the right thing and not limit any existing plans marketed as "unlimited".
  17. expidia's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
       #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Great find g-funk. Now if VZW would only do the right thing and not limit any existing plans marketed as "unlimited".
    Yes, a good find Gfunster on that article. That's why I was asking about not what their TOS actually says because that was before Streaming media. I wanted to know what their actual leeway on this issue has been now that there are growing #'s of users who want to watch a little TV from time to time. I just didn't want to be the first one terminated

    Keep in mind they are updating their TOS because they are rolling out their own version of TV on their Mobile TV device shortly. A whole 8 channels, sports. Probably one of those channels will be an infomercial on Verizon products.

    By the chart another poster gave us seems we can be in the range of 29 hours to over 100 a month. I'll never use those amounts!

    But I did not get a clear enough answer from another poster being that the chart shows 3 streaming rates. Is there a way for us to throttle down to the lower stream rate if the TV quality is almost as watchable as the faster stream rates?

    Even at the higher stream rate 29 hours of TV a month (if one has a job too) is a lot of TV to watch on a minature screen. At least I can watch the HBO channels or fast forward my DVR on previously recorded programs and not be streaming commercials to my Treo which only serves to push me closer to the max limits.

    Data streaming saving tip: if you use the Treo to watch the news like I do set your favorite news channel to record on the DVR and only save for 1 or 2 days and it auto erases. Most 24 hour news shows loop most of the news so you don't have to record the whole day anyway. Now watch the news by DVR on the Treo and fast forward the commercials
    Last edited by Expidia; 04/04/2007 at 08:39 AM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
  18. tc600's Avatar
    Posts
    305 Posts
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    But I did not get a clear enough answer from another poster being that the chart shows 3 streaming rates. Is there a way for us to throttle down to the lower stream rate if the TV quality is almost as watchable as the faster stream rates?
    Since you didn't like my nuanced answer, the simple answer is NO. There is NO way to specify your streaming rate from the current Palm beta SPM.
  19. #39  
    I just got cancelled today. I'm told I was sent a notice which I don't doubt but I never opened it.

    I was shocked today to find out. I had no idea of limitations. I'm technologically unsophisticated. I recently became a YouTube fan and have been on there CONSTANTLY catching up on all the videos that have been posted over the past year. I don't know how much bandwidth I used.

    I was allowed to open a new line - this is my separate "air card" line. I have another line for my cell. They did not charge me a termination fee but did charge me an activation fee - $35.

    I had to reapply with new credit check just like I was a new customer which gave me a panic attack because I recently tanked my credit. By some miracle they approved me and I'm back on-line but now paranoid. I have no idea if I can continue to stream.

    They should have some way you can monitor your own usage to see if you're approaching the limit. Anyway, this totally sucks.

    Does anyone have any suggestions?
  20. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by shep View Post
    I just got cancelled today. I'm told I was sent a notice which I don't doubt but I never opened it.

    I was shocked today to find out. I had no idea of limitations. I'm technologically unsophisticated. I recently became a YouTube fan and have been on there CONSTANTLY catching up on all the videos that have been posted over the past year. I don't know how much bandwidth I used.

    I was allowed to open a new line - this is my separate "air card" line. I have another line for my cell. They did not charge me a termination fee but did charge me an activation fee - $35.

    I had to reapply with new credit check just like I was a new customer which gave me a panic attack because I recently tanked my credit. By some miracle they approved me and I'm back on-line but now paranoid. I have no idea if I can continue to stream.

    They should have some way you can monitor your own usage to see if you're approaching the limit. Anyway, this totally sucks.

    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    If you browse the software section in Treocentral's store, you'll find a few programs that allow you to keep tabs on your phone and data services, to avoid going over your monthly limit.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions