Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    My company just got our violation e-mail from Good Technologies. It says that all 65 of our users are not using correct Good Data Plans and need to switch.

The FAQ attached gives the phone numbers of all the carriers and the plan name for those carriers.

Cingular so far has been great helping my users switch and it's been painless for them.

Verizon on the other hand is not. Verizon Wireless doesn't know about the "Good Data Plan" or the "Unlimited Goodlink Data Plan/Feature". I've spent the last 2 hours getting bounced around from department to department until finally finding someone in the Verizon Wireless Data Tech Support who could find the Goodlink Data feature (for voice). But they cannot find the feature code to assign it to my account.

What a nightmare. Can someone at Good Technologies have a conversation with Verizon Wireless so they are aware of this? Cingular knew about it right off the bat.

I have about 40 users who are going to have to call Verizon to change their plan and I can already see the nightmare when they call me for help. I've had 5 people today tell me:

"Verizon doesn't know about a 'Goodlink Data Plan'"
    "Verizon said I already have a 'PDA Unlimited Data Plan' and that covers Goodlink as well" <--- then why did their account show up in the violation e-mail we got from Good?

Ugh...
    Dewg...

PM me your contact info and I can give you a contact at Verizon that can take care of you.
    Violation e-mail?

Incorrect data plans?

Good Data Plans?

I'm afraid I'm at a loss. Wouldn't an unlimited data plan be an unlimited data plan? Also, other than the fact that Good is resold through the carriers why would Good really care what data plan the user has?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    Violation e-mail?

Incorrect data plans?

Good Data Plans?

I'm afraid I'm at a loss. Wouldn't an unlimited data plan be an unlimited data plan? Also, other than the fact that Good is resold through the carriers why would Good really care what data plan the user has?
    I would have to agree here. I have never heard of the Good Data Plan? GoodGuy, can you please explain. Also, is there any price break of any kind if we switch to this so called Good Data Plan?

Thanks
    Matthew.
    Why are carriers even divulging your data plan details to good in the first place?
    Is there some kind of "price fixing" going on here?
    So guys, its sort of like this.

On any carriers, when you buy a blackberry, the only way to get internet is to get a specific "blackberry" data plan. The reason behind this is to get a monthly revenue stream, per subscriber. It's been like this for ages. I believe it is an additional 5 dollars per month or so.

So on the phones, that use good mobile messaging, it uses a similar model, you need to be on a specific "Good Data Plan". Though the regular "unlimited data plan" will work for a little bit, eventually Good/Motorola will catch on and send you an email/notification.

Whether this is fair or not, is a matter for another discussion, but for my enterprise, it's just the cost of doing business (and it helps that we knew that going in).

I think the Good Sticky or an older thread explains this a lot better

Now for the carriers that don't have any type of agreement with Good, I believe you have the option of paying a yearly fee (roughly 200?) per line.

Hope this clarifies this a bit.
    If you aren't paying Good for the use of their software/services directly, then I fully understand why they want you on a good plan through the carriier if that is in fact the revenue stream.

That makes total sense. I though you had to buy/license/subscribed direclty to Good. Then go to the carrier and get a Good data plan. That would be like being double billed so to speak.
    But it sounds as if Good gets paid via the data plan. Then it's fully understandable.
    I'm sorry taylor, But it is the following

Buy good server license + maintences
    Buy CAL's + Maintenance
    Then subscribe to the Good Data plan per line.

It sounds like double dipping, but sadly that's the way it is. (just like the blackberry).
    You are all getting towards the right answer. Here is how it works:

The licensing structure of GMM is broken down into two parts, the Client Access License and the transport. The CAL's (and server licenses for that matter) are a one-time cost and you need one CAL for each GMM user. The transport can be one of two things, a Good Data Plan through Sprint, Cingular or Verizon or a Secure Transport Service (STS) sold through Good. Along with a CAL, each user needs either a GDP or STS.

Maintenance is an annual charge and is optional.
    I remember going through this last year. And I also got the violation email last week. Apparently we still had 5 slackers that didn't bother to change their plan. At least Good sent plan codes along with the message this time which was a big help for the Cingular users. But the Telstra users, that's another story. Telstra folks are the definition of the word clueless.
    I also received a violation notice from Good..

I have a question though.. Is this good data plan instead of the current unlimited plan we have or is this in addition to..

GoodGuy.. hopefully you can answer this question for me..
    it's instead of.

so monthly voice bill + good unlimited data plan.
    We get the violation notices as well, even though we have the correct plan. I tell that to good, they said wait up to two months for the correct changes to be reflected...then we end up full circle. I've even sent them PDF's and screen captures showing it says its the goodlink data plan our users have.

I'm done fighting with them...
    Last edited by cyberfed; 05/01/2007 at 08:05 AM.
    Communications Administrator
    Phones: Palm 650,700P,700wx,755p, Samsung IP830w, Moto Q
    Goodlink Admin 55 users.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    You are all getting towards the right answer. Here is how it works:

The licensing structure of GMM is broken down into two parts, the Client Access License and the transport. The CAL's (and server licenses for that matter) are a one-time cost and you need one CAL for each GMM user. The transport can be one of two things, a Good Data Plan through Sprint, Cingular or Verizon or a Secure Transport Service (STS) sold through Good. Along with a CAL, each user needs either a GDP or STS.

Maintenance is an annual charge and is optional.
    So I use Intermedia.net for my Hosted Exchange and I pay them $17.50 a month for Good v4.9 on my Palm Treo 700p. I am a Sprint Power Vision user -- "unlimited data plan" for $15.00 and have been for over a year and a half.

Is this only an issue in v5 of Good?
    It's not a particular issue with a version of the GMM. I believe its an overall position change by Goodlink.

I wish it was more similarly to the the way blackberry's work. If you don't have the correct plan, the device won't activate... Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    It's not a particular issue with a version of the GMM. I believe its an overall position change by Goodlink.

I wish it was more similarly to the the way blackberry's work. If you don't have the correct plan, the device won't activate... Simple as that.
    Agreed and we are heading down that road. The problem is that with Blackberry, they control the device. You want the device to work, you need the BB plan, whereas with GMM, you can buy a Treo and not have GMM on it. That being said, we are getting to where without a GDP, GMM won't work. No time frame, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Agreed and we are heading down that road. The problem is that with Blackberry, they control the device. You want the device to work, you need the BB plan, whereas with GMM, you can buy a Treo and not have GMM on it. That being said, we are getting to where without a GDP, GMM won't work. No time frame, though.
    Glad to hear that it is being considered...

As a proponent of mobile messaging in my enterprise, i often get the question of blackberries and Goodlink solutions.

The thing about Blackberries, is yes, they control the software, end device, and the server. There are certain strengths in products (mainly the tight integration of the UI and java support).

But not everyone likes blackberries, some are diehard POS and WM (ok, well maybe no diehard WM fans yet), so for those devices, GMM is really the best solution (IMHO). Granted, it is not as tightly integrated, has some issues here and there, and some "features" that power users tend to be put off by ... But overall their solution is simpler to manage... and with the plethora of devices coming out for WM and POS... it should make things very interesting.