Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. jjd
    Head on over to Engadget for some photos of the Garnet-based Sprint Treo 755p in the wild.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/30/t...t-in-the-wild/

It will be interesting to see how the 755p software differs from the 700p -- and if the software is similar to the still-mythical 700p software update from Palm.
    Well that just about settles any Cobalt or Linux aspirations some may have had for this device.

edit: Unless they installed it, it would appear from the pic that GoogleMaps may be in the ROM.
    Last edited by g-funkster; 03/30/2007 at 09:02 AM.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Betcha the Bluetooth will suck.....so the only difference is the color and the lack of antenna? One assumes it will be EVDO....do we know anything about what's in it?
    Looks exactly like the 750. I have a feeling that this is just a 700p with some bug fixes and EVDO Rev 0 since I don't think Palm has had enough time to give it EVDO Rev A capability (ie enhanced multi-tasking capability). But the form factor is MUCH better than the previous.
    This is an upgrade? The antenna never bothered me. I think what does bother me is that Palm is spending time producing this phone and not supporting the 700p.

Make the 700p better. Make the software simpler. Heck, team up with slingbox to promote the h&* out it. We've got ignorant people ooing and ahhing over Apple's iphone when Treos have been doing much the same thing for years now but capable of doing much more.
    How did they replace the functions of the two "launch" buttons? Sounds like a useability nightmare for anyone used to previous models.
    if there is not a difference in hardware specs, I'll stick to my 700P..

what a stupid upgrade
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    if there is not a difference in hardware specs, I'll stick to my 700P..

what a stupid upgrade
    Well if it is really called a 755p then what kind of major upgrade did you expect? I'm amazed at the number of people who seem so willing to trade out expensive phones every year to get the latest features. To each their own I guess, I personally hope/expect my 700p to last me 3-5 years before I decide to move on. By then either Palm will be dead, or the linux based Treo will exist.

I actually think it is a good thing for Palm to release new phones every 12+ months, even if the upgrades are minor. It keeps the line "fresh". And if the 755p really is a bit smaller or lighter then to some potential customers that may be a "big" deal.

As an analogy, did you ever notice that every auto manufacturer in the world releases every one of their cars "as new" every single year? Yet the only difference 95% of the time is available colors, or maybe 5 extra horsepower. Do you go to the Toyota forums and complain that the 2008 Camry only offers gold spoked wheels over the 2007 so why would you bother upgrading?

JM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    How did they replace the functions of the two \"launch\" buttons? Sounds like a useability nightmare for anyone used to previous models.
    Did you even look at the picture? You can clearly see that all four functions are still there and that they just replaced four individual buttons with two, larger buttons that are each mounted on a rocker.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
    As an analogy, did you ever notice that every auto manufacturer in the world releases every one of their cars "as new" every single year? Yet the only difference 95% of the time is available colors, or maybe 5 extra horsepower. Do you go to the Toyota forums and complain that the 2008 Camry only offers gold spoked wheels over the 2007 so why would you bother upgrading?

JM
    To turn your example around, look at GM. They are the worldwide leader in auto sales, but for the past decade or so have been sitting around constantly pushing out stale products. Now, Toyota has been innovative with quality products (not to mention efficiencies with regards to costs) and is poised to take over GM's position.

GM is finally redesigning interiors, and putting bigger upgrades into the vehicles.

But what would happen to an auto manufacturer whose only "improvement" from one model year to the next was replacing the standard antenna with the one integrated into the rear window? You think that company would be around long?
    Oh, and auto manufacturers actually support their products and honor warranties.

JM
    I think the difference is that cars are a mature field, while smartphones are supposed not to be, but Palm is treating it as such. e.g.

Cameras in phones increase yearly by a Megapixel in resolution. This year is 3 Megapixel, last year two, the year before 1.3, the year before 0.3. Phones are constantly getting thinner. Wireless speed constantly faster.

I think few could argue that Palm is on the fast track of smartphone development.

Surur
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Don't give me a new Treo, FIX THE ONE I ALREADY PAID $650 FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    so why doesn't the dang camera have a flash??? why still 1.3 MP?? why why why???

I actually think it is a good thing for Palm to release new phones every 12+ months, even if the upgrades are minor. It keeps the line "fresh". And if the 755p really is a bit smaller or lighter then to some potential customers that may be a "big" deal.
    It's a douuble edged sword. On the one hand, it's good that Palm release a new version every year, on the other hand, it also means there won't be any new CDMA *non-wm* phone until summer 2008. That means there won't be a non-****ty PalmOS phone; that means there won't be a Linux phone.

I have been hanging myself up for a Linux Treo since last year, the moment I realized Palm is not going Linux, I no longer interested in Palm and Treo phones. BTW, that moment, was when I took the time to read their 3rd quarter finance report. Good going Palm! Bravo! Congradulation on screwing up two OS upgrade road maps in a row.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    so why doesn't the dang camera have a flash??? why still 1.3 MP?? why why why???
    Because business users prefer to have NO CAMERA. I don't want a damn camera in a phone. I have my dSLR for pictures.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    So the rumors were true. Oh the irony! The last nail in the coffin of the ill-fated 700p has been hammered!

ROM update be damned, Palm is not going to release it... heck, they decided to better upgrade the entire thing to a different form factor/platform.

This is it. Palm will no longer be at the top of my list in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    So the rumors were true. Oh the irony! The last nail in the coffin of the ill-fated 700p has been hammered!

ROM update be damned, Palm is not going to release it... heck, they decided to better upgrade the entire thing to a different form factor/platform.

This is it. Palm will no longer be at the top of my list in the near future.
    First off the sprint techs know about the update.. So that means its being tested...Why would they shelf an update that is currently in testing? Dont panic just yet... But if April comes and goes and no update then I will panic with you.
    Has anyone stopped to consider two things: we know nothing about pricing yet and might this be a CDMA version of the 680?
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Has anyone stopped to consider two things: we know nothing about pricing yet and might this be a CDMA version of the 680?
    Looks like it to me. Call me on it if Im wrong but damn it looks similiar.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast