Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/30/t...t-in-the-wild/

not impressed at all though, its just a 700p in a 750v housing.....nothing new to justify $650
    Come on, it's Palm. You're expecting innovation?!?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The smaller form-factor is going to be offset by the larger battery door for those of us needing a larger battery. About the only thing it has that I wish my 700p (w/ Zoti antenna) had is the internal SD card slot. I'm always afraid that my SD card will pop out even though I have an alarm set for such occasions.
    Utterly disappointing....but I guess I should expect that from Palm.

Seriously, the only difference between this and the 700p is the lack of an antenna? And it takes a year to come out? I know that they're trying to keep the market for the 700p up for a while, but come on Palm. Do something innovative for the first time in 5 years.
  5.    #5  
    well also PROBABLY rev A data but i cant see many treo users running out to drop another $650 for rev A and a slightly different housing. Disappointed, thought there was a chance id come back to the Palm lineup (avid Palm user for a few years- 2/3 650's, 2 700p's, 2 700wx's all at different times) but nothing appealing still to pull me away from my moto q for what it can do for its tiny size.

How many times can you re-release the same treo with one or two little upgrades and expect to sell tons of them at such a high $650 full price? Other PDA/smartphones are beginning/going to leave Palm in the dust this year
    what a let down.. I'm officially done with the palm os..
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    well also PROBABLY rev A data but i cant see many treo users running out to drop another $650 for rev A and a slightly different housing. Disappointed, thought there was a chance id come back to the Palm lineup (avid Palm user for a few years- 2/3 650's, 2 700p's, 2 700wx's all at different times) but nothing appealing still to pull me away from my moto q for what it can do for its tiny size.

How many times can you re-release the same treo with one or two little upgrades and expect to sell tons of them at such a high $650 full price? Other PDA/smartphones are beginning/going to leave Palm in the dust this year
    Rev A. is doubtful considering the Palm OS can't handle simultaneous voice/data. I know that Palm bought the rights to the OS, but I doubt the company has had enough time to figure out how to do it. For now, I'm going to say that this is an upgrade to the form factor but not too much on the innards - a 700p with a 750 shell with some bug fixes.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by flipside99 View Post
    what a let down.. I'm officially done with the palm os..
    the windows treos arent much better, its Palm that is doing this re-releasing of old phones, nothing to do with which OS really. Prob next is a 755w same deal as the 700wx, just a different housing. Guess im sticking with my Q or getting a PCC 6800. Palm has lost my business for a while till they show me something new
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    Come on, it's Palm. You're expecting innovation?!?
    Welcome back Sir Munk.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    hey guys - don't you think Palm is just trying to EXPAND the market for their devices, rather than necessarily trying to appeal to you folks the techno-elite? Meaning, that the 755p isn't necessarily targeted at you, the current users. It's targeted at new users to the converged device market, trying to bring them into the fold.

You guys seem to take it personally that this device isn't the breakthrough that you want (and seem to think you deserve) - that's natural, but all I'm saying is that it's <possible> that the 755p is intended to get users who don't ALREADY have Treos, to see the value. A smaller device, with no antenna will possibly appeal to a new user. Yes, you, the grizzled and hardened techie, may be put off by it, but maybe you're not the target.

Just something to consider....(and I'm putting on my flame-retardent suit right now for the bombs that are going to be headed my way).
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    hey guys - don\'t you think Palm is just trying to EXPAND the market for their devices, rather than necessarily trying to appeal to you folks the techno-elite? Meaning, that the 755p isn\'t necessarily targeted at you, the current users. It\'s targeted at new users to the converged device market, trying to bring them into the fold.

You guys seem to take it personally that this device isn\'t the breakthrough that you want (and seem to think you deserve) - that\'s natural, but all I\'m saying is that it\'s <possible> that the 755p is intended to get users who don\'t ALREADY have Treos, to see the value. A smaller device, with no antenna will possibly appeal to a new user. Yes, you, the grizzled and hardened techie, may be put off by it, but maybe you\'re not the target.

Just something to consider....(and I\'m putting on my flame-retardent suit right now for the bombs that are going to be headed my way).
    Very intelligent post. Good job.
    its a good point but considering how fast innovation and advancements in mobile electronics are moving, its just another excuse for palm.

If they released a new model for us "power users" then I would agree with your point... unfortunately, I think this is palm's latest "innovation." Remember, palm's history (as of late ) has been to release a slightly improved version of the same OS-based phone every year to year-and-a-half.

I have been a loyal palm user for quite some time now but with my crippled 700p (and no immediate remedy for it on the horizon) I may be turning to the nasty crackberry for reliable performance.
    I currently own an antenna-less 650 and am not too excited about the windows only (I have only used palm os) 750 from cingular. i keep hearing that the 680 is cheaply made. Has anyone heard if the 755p will be available in gsm form anytime soon. I think that would be pretty slick.
    Palm's steps are minimal when compared to the competition...it's the relative lack of innovation.

The 600 was a major innovation in the smartphone market. Then the 650 came along...little better camera, better resolution, removable battery, tweaked keyboard.

Then the 700p. More memory, EVDO.

Now the 755p. No antenna. A little change in the form factor, if at all.

Can you see how the improvements and changes are less and less each time? Palm is only putting out "new" models just to put something in the market each year.

What's the next model? EVDO Rev A?

The dying innovation....hell, the lack of doing anything...is what's killing Palm and has caused them to lose the market dominance they once held.
    I wonder what the specs are?
    Well, this 650 owner will buy a Sprint firesale priced 700p when his VZW contract runs out with a SERO plan.
    I figure the external antenna will give me better reception in my neck of the woods than the internal 755p.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I have NO problem with a company that keeps improving their current working platform if they can stay competitive. Palm, in my opinion, is failing to do that. On the plus side, having very minor changes and resulted in a very advanced and broad spectrum of third party hardware and apps. This is one thing I have really liked about the Palm platform. However, their newer palms have are getting further and further behind. Also, the newer models have come with more issues then the older ones!

Palm is smart to ship the WM6 update for the 750 line. That is one good way to keep their customers happy. But what about the PalmOS guys that have stuck by them for so long? The ones that made their company what it is now? We've been given the shaft here! No innovation, crappy if not non-existent customer support. I'm sorry but when an older 650 out-performs the 700p there is a problem! That's a major step back in my opinion. Speed (EVDO) is good, but not at the expense of Memory and over-all speed and sstability.

Sure, you can argue that they are now [hopefully] working on the next great PalmOS/Linux OS but that still doesn't change the fact that the current users are getting screwed. Chances are, we are not going to see those updates for a couple of years and will probably have to cough up another $600 to get the product we paid for now

I paid good money for my 700p – I expect to get what I paid for and I most definitely have not.
    MiniSD? Yike!

They might as well go for MicroSD since its a more popular format and the 4GB is coming out.

I refuse to recognize any Treo that has no SD card slot a "real" PalmOS Treo. blasphemy I say!
    If it will allow voice dialing over BT like the 750 I will upgrade just for that.
    Amen to the woes over a lack of a regular SD slot.

So to get that I'd have to switch to Cingular/GSM from Verizon/CDMA and get a 680?? I don't see enough advantages of the 680 over my 650, so why bother?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Its probably built on the 680 shell, meaning a full SD slot, unless the EVDO radio is also large, which would imply a miniSD slot.

Surur
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast