Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Hear hear!
    Me no want QWERTY either... A complete waste of surface area (for me) which would be better used for screen area and/or dialpad with real buttons for one-handed use. If you have Graffiti, why do you need a QWERTY ?

I'd actually rather have a flip Palm, but would consider a PalmV/m505 shaped Palm phone. Actually the HTC P3300 is pretty close to this except of course it runs WM-PPC. But it does do Graffiti, has no QWERTY and is thin-nish (not a brick like a Treo).

Why does Palm need 66% more thick-as-a-brick-ness than Samsung (Blackjack), Moto (Q) or HTC (S620/DASH) and TWO extra ounces to make essentially the same QWERTY phone ? (And the Treo doesn't even have Wifi like the Dash/S620 does...) And these other QWERTY Smartphones all have better battery life (so you can't use bigger battery as the excuse)... So you say, start with a Lifedrive, I say even that is too thick... the ancient PalmV and m505 were 12-13mm thick just like the Blackjack, Q and Dash. Did Palm forget how to build svelte devices ?

Palm, "one trick Treo"...
    So you would rather have to pull your pen out and write ever time you sent a text? I just laugh at that idea it would kill me to have to write a text message considering I send about 3k a month.

Right now with the keyboard on the treo I can almost type as fast as I can type on a computer. And I know I can type about more than twice as fast as anyone can write, so why would anyone want a slower input method.

And yes I have graffiti experience I currently have a palm TX right now

Go download the backlight off program for the treo and it increases your battery life a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    So you would rather have to pull your pen out and write ever time you sent a text? I just laugh at that idea it would kill me to have to write a text message considering I send about 3k a month.
    Not everybody send 3k TXT a month. I sent 15 text message last month. Shocking I know.
    I send maybe 30 texts a month, but I wouldn't like having to use graffiti everytime I wanted to write a text. The keyboard is perfect for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Not everybody send 3k TXT a month. I sent 15 text message last month. Shocking I know.
    From reading some posts it seems like some never type information in besides a web address every now and then. I know this sounds shocking but I use my treo to type word documents when I dont have my computer handy..

Not having a keyboard might be fine if you send 15 text's a month but for the average users a keyboard is a must. For me its a definite must since I am sending on average 8 text messages every hour I am awake. But realistically I will send 40-50 texts within a 30 mins span and have that happen twice a day while communicating with people. Not to mention sending out emails.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Hear hear!
    Me no want QWERTY either... A complete waste of surface area (for me) which would be better used for screen area and/or dialpad with real buttons for one-handed use. If you have Graffiti, why do you need a QWERTY ?

I'd actually rather have a flip Palm, but would consider a PalmV/m505 shaped Palm phone. Actually the HTC P3300 is pretty close to this except of course it runs WM-PPC. But it does do Graffiti, has no QWERTY and is thin-nish (not a brick like a Treo).

Why does Palm need 66% more thick-as-a-brick-ness than Samsung (Blackjack), Moto (Q) or HTC (S620/DASH) and TWO extra ounces to make essentially the same QWERTY phone ? (And the Treo doesn't even have Wifi like the Dash/S620 does...) And these other QWERTY Smartphones all have better battery life (so you can't use bigger battery as the excuse)... So you say, start with a Lifedrive, I say even that is too thick... the ancient PalmV and m505 were 12-13mm thick just like the Blackjack, Q and Dash. Did Palm forget how to build svelte devices ?

You just gotta be kidding about the battery life statement compared to the other smartphones. I was kinda following you until then. I think a keyboard is a must. But I do have to say I like the new samsung design with the key pad out front and the sliding QWERTY

The touchscreen requires a thicker form-factor. The other devices you mention do not have a touchscreen. The PalmV and m505 didn't have a phone/wireless, so those are not relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    The touchscreen requires a thicker form-factor. The other devices you mention do not have a touchscreen. The PalmV and m505 didn't have a phone/wireless, so those are not relevant.
    Maybe Palm suck at engineering? Check my avatar if you want to see a thin touch screen phone.
    Maybe Palm suck at engineering? Check my avatar if you want to see a thin touch screen phone.
    This "a touch scree is 6mm thick" story thats going around is completely bogus. The depth is not the touch screen, but the backlight. OLED touch screens would be barely thicker than an equivalent non-touch screen.

Its just all excuses.

Surur
    Is it just me, or do both of those phones look about the same thickness? Maybe a couple of millimeters diff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    Is it just me, or do both of those phones look about the same thickness? Maybe a couple of millimeters diff?
    Sony Ericsson M600.. 105 x 54 mm x 15 mm

Treo 650 ................112 x 58 x 23 mm

The 650 is more than 50% thicker (1/4th of an inch), and larger in all other dimensions also.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    Palm uses optical illusions to make the Treos look smaller than they really are. I think you were comparing the thickness of the other phone to the thickness of the Treo's racing stripe on the side, which is exactly what they want you to do. Also, on the front, the Treo's shiny picture frame is narrower and shorter than the Treo, and de-emphasizes the Treo's protruding bulges on the top and sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    You just gotta be kidding about the battery life statement compared to the other smartphones. I was kinda following you until then. I think a keyboard is a must.
    I'm sorry, not sure why I said "better battery life". But at least the Dash/HTC S620 has as good a battery life as the Treos: Its rated (and confirmed) at 5 hours talk time, and its only 13mm thick... very svelte. Just hold a Dash or Blackjack in one hand and a Treo in the other -- you'll see what I mean...

Just to be clear, I'm sure that many, even a majority, want a QWERTY keyboard. But I don't and I believe many others don't as well. What's wrong with Palm building, oh-my-gosh, TWO styles of phones ? How many styles of "smart" phones does HTC build ? Must be over a dozen. Palm talks about "diversity"... I suppose, as long its a Treo... Does anybody serious believe that Palm is *not* in a rut ? both in terms of styling/form factor as well as engineering, not to mention software/OS ?

The touchscreen requires a thicker form-factor. The other devices you mention do not have a touchscreen.
    There is an EIGHT mm difference in thickness between those thin Smartphones and the Treo 680, and more than 1cm diff wrt the 700p. You're not going to tell me that a touchscreen adds 8mm are you ? Might add 1-2mm at most, if anything at all. The HTC P3300 has a full touchscreen and has WiFi *and* GPS *and* HSPDA and is still several mm thinner than the Treo 680.
    Last edited by neurocutie; 04/16/2007 at 12:01 PM.
    Win a Treo 755p. Learn more here
    http://www.gx-5.com/specials/winatreo755p.htm
    Even though it's still in beta, you should extend your contest to TreoWeather.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    hurr.....burp.. hurrrrup... barf..

Geez, that oughta just FLY off the shelves. Kiss my ***, Palm.
    Ive got a 650. Keepin` it. I`m not upgrading to this mickey mouse crap.
    copy that- got two free 650's just before the 700p came out with the Sprint SERO plan on both- it's gonna take a LOT of pda/phone to get me to upgrade to a better model. so far, I haven't seen it. Larger RAM, EVDO, and 4 GB SD slot is not enough to upgrade- especially when the phone doesn't even do what mine can. Bring Wi-fi, Bring SAG, bring zero crashes (such a joke that I would even suggest that) and I will consider buying another Palm OS phone. Personally and pragmatically, I think this is the swan song.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    4GB SD slot? You do know that the 650 can already go up to 32GB, right?
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    32 GB in the SD slot? that must be some hack- please provide info...
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    32 GB in the SD slot? that must be some hack- please provide info...
    He means theoretically it can do up to 32 GB. However, SDHC cards of that capacity haven't been released yet, 8 GB is the largest size out there.

All you have to do is install the SDHC hack from the 680 thats somewhere in this forum.
    I figure it is in response to the lag issue that people have been seeing in the 700p. They needed to stop selling laggy 700p devices. Also, they seem to be trying to move to this new form factor for their entire line. (680, 750, 755p) That only leaves the 700wx as the only device not in this form factor.

Other thoughts.

This device will most likely have a stepping in it's EV-DO speeds.
    It will definitely have the new apps (Phone, Google maps, etc) from the 680.

Overall a 700p rev 2. (They learned from their mistakes, and incorporated improvements from the 680)

I bet that people are going to like it alot better then the 700p. That said, I'm not going to upgrade, as I am waiting for the Linux mega phone coming out later this year.
    Dude it doesn't have EVDO ver.A, that's what's wrong with this phone.