Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    Rome,
    whatever7, I agree in that it appears the mini slot is palm's new standard. why that is is beyond me. You'd think they'd continue in the direction of allowing increased storage capacity, not one that will limit us.
    Seriously, Palm should just change their name to either Backhand or Donkeypunch.
    I actually prefer if they move on to MicroSD (instead of MiniSD). It looks like every other phone and its dog have switched to MicroSD. It will make ship jumping easier.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Oh boy I'm SOO hurt, I'm SOO upset.

I meant to say the absence of a premium instant messaging application like verichat.

Stun me with some of your non volatile flash intelligence and common sense here, nxsprime.

Tell me, are YOU going to buy the 755? pfft.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Native SMS client completely absent? How about common sense being completely absent? If you are going to whine and cry about something you might as well sound intelligent and complain about something factual.

You are continue to be mean to posters on this forum. On top of that, you just ignore people's valid counter argument and act like some kind of viral marketer.

Congratulation I just add you to my ignore list.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I actually prefer if they move on to MicroSD (instead of MiniSD). It looks like every other phone and its dog have switched to MicroSD. It will make ship jumping easier.

Lol. You've got a point there.
    well, time to hit the sack.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    So that is a screwed up business model if all you care about is getting new customers & ignoring the existing. So you open up a hospital & all you care about is getting new patients in there but then you don't take care of the existing patients??? Sure it makes sense for them because that is a way they will make the most money but it doesn't mean this is good for the consumer!
    A better analogy would be an apartment complex (since we are not dying) that rents people rooms, but when the new type of room comes along, you have to move into one for the landlord to come around for maintenance.
    what is program "IM" shown in this photo?? Is it new instant messaging prgram???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    where'd u get that image from?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    I wanna know the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Click
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    thanks!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    The technology is out there, why won't palm just give it to us!?!??!

that being said I'll probably still get a 755 from my 700p, just because I'm an upgrading freak!
    I go back and forth on this more times that Dannilynn has potential fathers...

At this point, if the 755P has a standard SD slot, and fixes all or darn-near most of the 700P problems, I may get one to replace my 650, and buy an extended battery. Even then, the battery will not equal my Super-extended battery on my 650, but the EVDO and extra memory may be worth it, if the other stuff is fixed.

Of course, if the 700P ever does get it's now-overdue update, and that fixes everything, I would be tempted to get an almost-new one since a super-extended battery is available for the 700P. I don't mind the antenna and size (which an extended battery would neutrillize anyway). I just hesitate to get an almost End-Of-Life 700P if the newer 755P is truly worthy. So if I get it (the 700P), it will be gently-used and not new from Palm. They would lose that sale.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I currently (still) have the Sprint 650. I am thinking I want to update, mainly to get the benefits of EVDO, slingbox, etc. I am torn between getting the 700wx (i am becoming more and more convinced that windows is the future) or the 755p for the form factor and hopefully resolved issues everyone complains about with the 700p and wx (especially if the 755p is just REPLACING the 700s and the 700s are effectly dead).

Any advice? I kind of just want to jump on the wx ship now but I know once more details about the 755p come out I'll regret it. The resolution is worse on the 700wx too. Plus, I have bought so much software for the palm that I do not want to just lose (especially chatter b/c I have a gmail account that i like to push and a work email that chatter handles).
    I find it interesting how many people get personally offended when Palm fails to produce a product that meets their expectations. If you read through the post on a number of these threads, it seems like some people think that Palm is in business to provide US what we want.

In fact, Palm's ultimate goal and reason for being is simply to provide the maximum rate of return on the investor's/stockholders money. If putting out incremental products that don't satisfy the folks on this board is the best way to do that, then that is what they should do. If putting out cutting-edge products that gets us Treo-geeks wild and happy is what does that, then THAT is what they should do. Palm is not here to please us, they are hear to make money, thats all.

The Japaneese are the most brutally honest about this. I saw an interview once with an executive of a whaling company. He was being asked why the company would hunt whales to the point of extinction when, if they reduced their take, they could last in business indefinatly. The exec said "You don't understand the purpose of our company. We are not in the business of whaling, we are in the business of making money for our investors. If its is better to maximize whaling now, that is what we will do and, when the time comes, we will switch to something else." In other words, its better to get a 20% rate of return on whaling for 20 years then switch to something else that can get you a 20% ROR when whales run out, rather than get a 10% ROR forever.

Now you might be able to make a case that the 700p and 755p don't maximize that rate of return for Palm for a number of reasons including, perhaps, that failing to make cutting edge jumps instead of incrimental advances will hurt Palm, if not right now, then in the long-run. That may be true, but if so, then it is a business decision error and not the violation of some inherent right we have to have the best product theoretically possible.

There just seems to be something about Palm that gets people worked up more than other companies and products i follow. Its like we grew up with them, they are are family and they owe us something and when they dont meet our expectations we feel betrayed.

How about how Sony treated the market for those that want a PDA only device in the US? They decided it was best for them to abandon it all together. That may have been a wise choice -- that market is shrinking -- but those who DO want a PDA only device were cut loose totally. I didnt see near the hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing over that that you can find on this board when Palm updates a device slowly. Did Sony "owe" it to them to stay in the market and keep producing devices? I dont remember anybody saying that, but that is what the feeling with Palm seems to be.

Corporations are not evil, they are not good. They are not your friend or your enemy. They do what the decision makers feel is best for the company and investors, although the short and long term analysis can get complicated and mistakes are common. Indeed, where the system gets really screwed up is when decision makers FAIL to look at what is best for the company and get caught up is what is best for them personally -- perks, stock options, parachutes, etc. That may have been what was driving the PalmSource mess, hard to figure out any other explanatin for that one.

Of course, meeting consumer demand and making the customer happy is vital. But there are many customers and many demands. Palm has to choose what is best for Palm, not what may be best for "us."

So what do we do? well vote with your credit card. If you like their products, buy them. If you dont, buy something else. If enough people go elsewhere, Palm will either change or fold. Ultimatly that is how customers voices are heard in the boardroom.

Letter writing campaings, emails, message board rants, even bad press reviews can make an impact, but only if it is felt that those might hurt the bottom line.

The solution is in your hands. If you don't like it, dont buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Corporations are not evil, they are not good.
    I thought most corporations were inherently evil. Unfeeling, opportunistic, always only looking out for their own interest without regards for others, only reigned in by the strongest of laws and no conscience. I believe they have been called psychopaths by others. Thats why they need a strong hand to guide them and intense supervision, because if you dont constantly watch them they will screw you over at the first opportunity.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 04/03/2007 at 12:05 PM.
    More flash ram means 22m to 55m (?) user accessible. Heap and dbcache increase to around 20m. That alone makes the 680/755/700 an improvement over the 650 in features and stability. Rarely do I have an obvious dbcache crash on my 680.
    I couldn't have put it better myself midmofan. We do have the power to express ourselves in the only way that ultimately matters, our money. I have a verizon 650, my first Treo, third Palm device and love it. I skipped the 700p because it didn't have enough upgrades i felt to justify the purchase. I kept saying "what does it really do that my 650 doesn't?". The only thing i could think of was bluetooth 1.2 for simultaneous headset and gps connections. Not enough to pay for. I will ask myself the same question when the 755p shows itself. And frankly, the rumored spec list does not make the purchase likely at this time. My Treo experience has been a largely trouble-free one. I don't have much 3rd party software so I don't have frequent crashes a lot of people deal with, so maybe that's why I'm not as bothered as some people about this release. I do have a list of things I would like to see improved before I buy another Treo and if Palm can deliver on most of those things, I'll probably buy another Treo. And if I can find an experience as satisfying as this one on another device with the upgrades I'm looking for I'll buy that device. Bottom line: Let your wallet do the talking!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I thought most corporations were inherently evil. Unfeeling, opportunistic, always only looking out for their own interest without regards for others, only reigned in by the strongest of laws and no conscience. I believe they have been called psychopaths by others. Thats why they need a strong hand to guide them and intense supervision, because if you dont constantly watch them they will screw you over at the first opportunity.

Surur
    People run corporations, and many executives see no problem doing what it takes to get a bigger paycheck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    People run corporations, and many executives see no problem doing what it takes to get a bigger paycheck.
    Exactly. Being miffed at "corporations" is like being miffed at "bottles" because some bottles contain stuff you don't like to drink.

Palm's out to make money. Palm's out to sell lots and lots and lots of phones. We might disagree with Palm's management about how to achieve that result. After all, we're smarter than they are.

I personally probably won't buy a 755p. My wife has a 650, and I have a 700wx and a 750. I will almost certainly buy another Treo when the time comes. The 755p ain't that time, yet.

But I hope lots and lots and lots of soccer moms and new-to-smartphone people buy the 755p.

Let's face it. TC-ers are the unpaid technical beta testing group for Palm. We are not Palm's market research group--what I want to do with my 750 isn't what a soccer mom wants to do with her 755p.

I'd like a never-crashing, multi-tasking Linux-based, PalmOS user interface, 750-sized Treo but even slimmer with double the battery life, full over-the-air push PIM functionality with my Exchange Server, and wifi please, and I would like it to use SD cards because I have $40 invested in SD cards at the moment and I don't want to buy new memory cards. That's what the TC-centric market research tells Palm. Palm can't make much money selling those things to me and people like me. Unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva

Exactly. Being miffed at "corporations" is like being miffed at "bottles" because some bottles contain stuff you don't like to drink.

Ed Colligan's out to make money. Colligan is out to sell lots and lots and lots of phones. We might disagree with Ed about how to achieve that result. After all, we're smarter than he is.

I personally probably won't buy a 755p. My wife has a 650, and I have a 700wx and a 750. I will almost certainly buy another Treo when the time comes. The 755p ain't that time, yet.

But I hope lots and lots and lots of soccer moms and new-to-smartphone people buy the 755p.

Let's face it. TC-ers are the unpaid technical beta testing group for Ed Colligan. We are not Ed's market research group--what I want to do with my 750 isn't what a soccer mom wants to do with her 755p.

I'd like a never-crashing, multi-tasking Linux-based, PalmOS user interface, 750-sized Treo but even slimmer with double the battery life, full over-the-air push PIM functionality with my Exchange Server, and wifi please, and I would like it to use SD cards because I have $40 invested in SD cards at the moment and I don't want to buy new memory cards. That's what the TC-centric market research tells Colligan. Ed Colligan can't make much money selling those things to me and people like me. Unfortunately..
    Bit more personal this way, isn't it? Corporations are not people. Businesses do things people by themselves would never do.

Surur
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast