Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Um, we are talking about Sprint here. Not sure why so many of your are having trouble remembering that. The 755p is being released by Sprint. How many Nokia pdaphones does Sprint sell? What about Panasonic and NEC? lol

Again, pdaphone sales by Sprint. Palm crushes every other manufacturer (Motorola, HTC, Samsung and RIM).
    you make no sense you make a stink about sales figures and you now spit out that palm crushes all other pda's on sprint? wheres your data to back it up, since your personal fanboy beliefs dont mean jack to anyone else.

BESIDES the fact that either way who cares about numbers. Ever think people got/get the treo cause there was/is nothing more appealing to them personally in sprint's lineup? That doesnt mean treos are innovative or offer any great or new features, nor that other pda phones sprint offers arent better in features or form. No matter how you spin it treos are totally lacking in the feature and design department.
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    you make no sense you make a stink about sales figures and you now spit out that palm crushes all other pda's on sprint? wheres your data to back it up, since your personal fanboy beliefs dont mean jack to anyone else.

BESIDES the fact that either way who cares about numbers. Ever think people got/get the treo cause there was/is nothing more appealing to them personally in sprint's lineup? That doesnt mean treos are innovative or offer any great or new features, nor that other pda phones sprint offers arent better in features or form. No matter how you spin it treos are totally lacking in the feature and design department.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Folks,

There is something you need to understand, if you haven't understood already. It's Palm's objective to make sure that their prospective customer accepts their nuanced improvements to their product line. That point couldn't be clearer when you are encouraged to "get nuance'd.

Resistance is futile.
    SAG will do A2DP, so no big deal. miniSD instead of real SD is a problem. Again, half of the posters in this thread figured it out and realized that the 755p is NOT an update for the 700p but is actually a step below it and an attempt to get new, non-700p owners, into a Palm. Similar to the Moto Q in that it is somewhat stripped down for first-time users.
    Quote Originally Posted by MATTREID View Post
    I currently own an antenna-less 650 and am not too excited about the windows only (I have only used palm os) 750 from cingular. i keep hearing that the 680 is cheaply made. Has anyone heard if the 755p will be available in gsm form anytime soon. I think that would be pretty slick.
    I've actually been extremely pleased with the 680. As for build quality, I could see where people might get the impression since it weighs less. But in reality I think it's actually constructed better than my 650 was -- it seemed to flex and squeak whenever I would type on the keyboard. And even though the 680 does have some issues, it's still lightyears better than my reset woes (mostly due to very limited dbcache and RAM) from my 650.

I think of the 680 as more of a 650x or 655. It really was more of a revision than a completely new device, but it's a damn good revision (if considered that in regard).
    Last edited by taroliw; 04/02/2007 at 11:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    i have a 24oo mah on my 700p that barely makes it!! how can they go down to 1200?? i mean are these guys at palm seriously drunk?
    I'm really beginning to think so. And with some of the more recent info coming from Access, I'm thinking there may be a need for some Kool-Aid drinking at Palm offices. Why? Because ALP opens the door for other hardware manufacturers to have a Garnet compatibility layer. It would be so very nice to have the option of dealing with a hardware vendor who gave a hoot about really innovating and yet still be able to drag along all my very useful applications.

I'm really interested to see if ALP catches on.
    Seems simple to me.. If you have a 650, this is a nice upgrade (more ram, cache, better form factor, but smaller battery). If you have a 700, unless you want the new form factor this is not an upgrade for you.
    Hi guys! I recently joined TC and mostly lurk. I decided to chime in here since its a healthy discussion. I can understand the frustration of a lot of guys here. We haven't seen Palm make new devices that are leaps and bounds over the last thing they put out. But I think some of you are missing the big picture. I think when Palm releases a device, they're aiming at a certain group of people. Obviously, if you have a 700p, its hard to justify the move to a 755p. This device is pretty clearly target at new CDMA smartphone buyers or Sprint/Verizon 650 users who feel their phones are long in the tooth. We're still waiting for details to emerge, specifically price. But given the two markets I mentioned, would this not be a reasonable purchase if the price is not ridiculous?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Some poster who appears to have handled the unit confirmed that it is miniSD with no A2DP.

Surur
    Then again Andrew from Treonauts stated a correction to his story that it is SD like the 680. I guess we'll see when it comes out.
    So that is a screwed up business model if all you care about is getting new customers & ignoring the existing. So you open up a hospital & all you care about is getting new patients in there but then you don't take care of the existing patients??? Sure it makes sense for them because that is a way they will make the most money but it doesn't mean this is good for the consumer!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    So, I was just thinking:

Palm could be pursuing a dual-expansion plan for their devices. Palm OS Treos keep the fullsize SD slot and WinMob Treos go with a miniSD card.

After all, there's only been one Palm OS device I can recall offhand (the final Garmin iQue 3000) that uses mini or micro SD. But there are plenty of WM devices out there using the smaller cards. Palm also might correctly figure its loyal Palm OS users are mostly upgraders and have invested a great deal in SD cards over the years.

IF there's a fullsize SD on the 755p (as Andrew @ Treonauts reports) and IF there is official SDHC support, than the 755p might be a worthwhile upgrade for deep-pocketed 700p owners or 650 users needing more RAM/speed/cache.

IF Palm chooses to foolishly go with miniSD on the 755p, then it'll gain the dubious record of being the least-improved "upgrade" device from Palm ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    Hi guys! I recently joined TC and mostly lurk. I decided to chime in here since its a healthy discussion. I can understand the frustration of a lot of guys here. We haven't seen Palm make new devices that are leaps and bounds over the last thing they put out. But I think some of you are missing the big picture. I think when Palm releases a device, they're aiming at a certain group of people. Obviously, if you have a 700p, its hard to justify the move to a 755p. This device is pretty clearly target at new CDMA smartphone buyers or Sprint/Verizon 650 users who feel their phones are long in the tooth. We're still waiting for details to emerge, specifically price. But given the two markets I mentioned, would this not be a reasonable purchase if the price is not ridiculous?
    There's nothing wrong with that strategy, and I agree that if the price is significantly cheaper than the 700p price then Palm would have hit their target. At the same time, most phone manufacturers release a range or variety of products from year to year. Palm hasn't really done that.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Like I've said, I'm a 650 owner but there's nothing on the 755 which even remotely warrants paying $399, $299, $199, or even $99 for this so-called "upgrade".

1) sporadic ev-do browsing is just that - sporadic. its not available everywhere yet.
    $200 - 300 for this? mmm. no.
    Essentially, web surfing is a bit faster sometimes, but how about the the os? Is it any speedier than what I'm upgrading from? no. no multitasking or faster app - to - app transitioning. Exactly how much would the 755 change the experience you have on your 650? honestly.
    Are we still resting on the same platform as the 650? yep. You're actually LOSING battery life - on an "upgrade" here. How exactly is this a big draw for 650 users who are used to longer talk times on one battery?
    I, like most here, am looking for better bluetooth, as in a2dp. As far as we know, that's not there either.
    Someone nailed it on the head a bit earlier in the thread. Unless I'm mistaken, for a phone which provides a keyboard for quick on the go emails and communication, why is a native SMS or instant messenger completely absent?
    As gfunk mentioned, today's 20 somethings are texting more than talking to each other these days. You have to equip the device to adapt to that market. Geezus, what exactly is going on behind the wheel here, palm?

There's no real improvement in keyboard usage, button arrangement as far as I can see -exactly the same as my 650.
    the screen is the same, form factor ever so slightly different - seriously I could care less about the negligible differences there. The possibility of the micro or mini sd card, which like the smaller form factor, LIMITS the amount of use you can get out of the device? Come on, how can someone consider this a legitimate step up as opposed to simply a slight quarter step diagonally or to the side like?
    An " upgrade" like this shouldn't cost you anything if you're renewing your contract with your carrier. This looks like more of a slight style change - a swap, if you will, not a move up. Its one or two steps forward, and 2 or 3 steps back in many respects if you really place all the pros and cons on the table.

Obviously the precise specs aren't out yet, but I think we've all watched palm long enough to know their "business as usual" approach.
    Last edited by vw2002; 04/02/2007 at 09:19 PM.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    i have a hard time believing this has a SD slot. If you pay attention to the 3rd quarter finance report, the guy said they are going to make hardware chassis that can install POS5 and WM easily from now now. In other words the P and the W versions will share the (almost identical) hardware.

I would think the side loading MiniSD slot and the slimer battery are the new Treo "standard". And the new wm will support 320X320 screen too.

No real improvement in keyboard, button arrangement as far as I can see -exactly the same as my 650.
    Ha ha no. They have taken the menu key away from the 650 and moved it way in the bottom.
    Last edited by whatever7; 04/02/2007 at 09:29 PM.
    I have a 650 and will be upgrading to the 755 when it comes out in May. I also have a 680 for my use when travelling outside of the U.S.. Here are my reasons for the upgrade:

- EVDO
    - smaller/slimmer/lighter and no antenna
    - better ergonomic design all around (like the 680)
    - MUCH improved OS stability and UI
    - more flash RAM
    - better software integrations
    - SD card door
    - Still the best smartphone out there today, including the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I have a 650 and will be upgrading to the 755 when it comes out in May. I also have a 680 for my use when travelling outside of the U.S.. Here are my reasons for the upgrade:

- EVDO
    - smaller/slimmer/lighter and no antenna
    - better ergonomic design all around (like the 680)
    - MUCH improved OS stability and UI
    - more flash RAM
    - better software integrations
    - SD card door
    - Still the best smartphone out there today, including the iphone.
    the iphone is not out yet, how can you compare ?
    And considering the majority of the rest is pretty much assumptions (better software integration? MUCH improved OS stability?), saying that it's a definite upgrade, or a definite buy at this point is a stretch.
    I have a 650 and will probably upgrade to the 755P. I have quite a bit of software. I doubt the iPhone will do even half of what my 650 is capable of but it might do enough. I'm tempted to wait for a WM 6.0 Treo on Sprint. I just don't know if I can wait that long.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Rome,

1) ev-do, sure, but not everywhere you go.

2) The "slim" ergonomic thing - if slim could go along with 5-6 hrs of battery life, then I'd be impressed. As it stands, I'm not. You're basically going to be giving up talk time and paying for it too.

There are extended batteries sure, but here we go spending money on things we shouldn't have to on our "upgrade" devices just to get it to last as long as the "old" ones did!

3) increased stability and smoother os? I'm not convinced that the 755 will have anything other than minor little tweaks to what we already have had on our 650s
    4) Micro sd slots - so you don't mind giving up the ability to use large storage cards on your phone?

Look, I guess if you see value in small little increments like this, forward march.

I don't see value at all in small little touchups here and there, whether its form factor or software.

Now if palm hooked up a gps chip or driver, wifi or wifi driver, ev-do, a2dp bt, 320x320, a faster os, 256 - 512 ram, 400 - 524 mhz processor, multitasking and quick responsive app. transitioning, along with a nice, clear speakerphone and a 5-7 hr battery life, THEN, we'd be talking about an upgrade worth $400 - $500, maybe slightly more.

The 755 is mickey mouse to me, but to each their own.

The 650 was a decent upgrade from the 600 because they actually ADDED features and improvements, as opposed to taking them away.

1) Added non volatile flash memory.
    2) added bluetooth
    3) added 320 x 320 res screen
    4) added removable battery.
    5) added a faster 312 mhz intel processor.
    6) improved blazer.
    7) improved keyboard and hard button layout.

The 650 was a far better successor to the 600 than the 755 is to the 650.

whatever7, I agree in that it appears the mini slot is palm's new standard. why that is is beyond me. You'd think they'd continue in the direction of allowing increased storage capacity, not one that will limit us.
    Seriously, Palm should just change their name to either Backhand or Donkeypunch.
    Last edited by vw2002; 04/02/2007 at 11:06 PM.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    Someone nailed it on the head a bit earlier in the thread. Unless I\'m mistaken, for a phone which provides a keyboard for quick on the go emails and communication, why is a native SMS or instant messenger completely absent?
    Native SMS client completely absent? How about common sense being completely absent? If you are going to whine and cry about something you might as well sound intelligent and complain about something factual.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast